Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC World Prices

Options
  • 27-11-2008 10:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

Prices as of yesterday afternnon
    2GB XD Card - PC World Naas €59.95
    2GB XD Card - Elara €18.15

Can somone explain the price differences? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Nothing to explain. PC Worlds prices are ****e and always have been. I can't even bring myself to enter PC World any more as I watch people who know no better being fleeced. And to top it off their customer service is also terrible from my experience. Their specials are also on a store basis so if they do 'occasionally' have a deal on, it will not be in all their stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭martin1016

I have to say I was stunned at the price difference - I could understand 20-25%, high street versus online but 300% completely blew me away and I think people should be made aware of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

price difference is probably a combination of not updating the prices to the latest market prices and also something along the line of toy shops and batteries.

They will sell you something at a good price with little enough profit for them on it but then make all their profit on batteries, and in the case of pc world waranty, sd cards, camera cases and all that sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

In fairness at this stage that was probably an exception rather then the norm. Anyone will tell you PC World have really cleaned up their prices lately - not exactly competitive with online retailers, but not remotely as ludicrous as they used to be. I've bought a few PC Components in there because the saving made online was so minimal that I preferred to have it in my hand that day. Their video cards used to be 200-300% online prices, now they're for the most part a decent 30%-ish mark up. Sometimes they still get it wrong though, and fail to update prices, so the same old cards end up being more expensive then cards of two generations later! Particularly in flash memory and storage, their prices often meet and exceed online prices - a few days ago I got a 4gb key for 9.99 for example.

Obviously there are certain areas yet to catch up, but the store is really making an effort to improve prices around the board. Even their PC's - well, a t least in the general entertainment PC bracket - are pretty good value, often rivaling Dell. And their gaming PC's finally feature 'real' gaming cards, eg. 9800 and 8800 cards, whereas in the past they used pathetic budget cards marketed as gaming cards (eg one gaming PC I saw about a year ago had dual 8500GT's; the updated model of that machine now has dual 9800GT's, about 600-700% faster).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭JDxtra

...and this is if they actually bother to display their prices!

PC World in Liffey Valley is just dreadful for not having prices displayed on products (or displaying the price for a different item on the shelf). I've complained numerous times, but they don't seem bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭JDxtra

On the plus side, their business web site (PCWB.ie) is very completive. But then again it does ship everything direct from the UK (bypassing PC World Ireland).

JDxtra wrote: »
    On the plus side, their business web site (PCWB.ie) is very completive. But then again it does ship everything direct from the UK (bypassing PC World Ireland).

Nope the website is closed down.

We are really sorry but the site is closed now.

I must wander in again sometime and have a look if there's any changes to the one in Airside. Always the pessimist though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

PC World have always had an odd pricing system, that's if you can find a price displayed first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Peggy Peg

Just for everyone's info: part of the problem with pricing on almost ANYTHING electronic is the fact that few bricks and mortar retailers (because of rents/staffing overheads/etc) can make a profit. Many e-retailers, however, seem to be doing better, and can offer lower prices. But ya got to look around. We just launched a new website, http://www.peg.ie. It's Irish owned and managed, and we're pricing stuff at prices that make us only a few quid: like 1GB xD cards from €6.88, Logitech Wireless headphones at just under €64, really inexpensive (but good) laptops, digital cameras, etc.

As the recession bites, it really is going to help us Irish consumers, me-thinks. I hope so, in that we've been ripped off for far too long!

Peggy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

martin1016 wrote: »
    Prices as of yesterday afternnon
    2GB XD Card - PC World Naas €59.95
    2GB XD Card - Elara €18.15

Can somone explain the price differences? :confused:

Ok first off are they the same cards ?
    You can get different brands, access speeds etc ?
    Were they Type H or Type M ?
    Lada and Mercedes both make 4 door cars, but there is a big difference.

Saying all that, PC World would be damm expensive.
    Sometimes you can get bargains, but you need to know what you are looking for and don't ever listen to a salesperson.
    I nearly fell over last year when watched some poor eejit walk out with load of Symantec Software under his arm for his brand new laptop. :eek:
    How to slow down your computer in one easy step.

Elara would be pretty good for somethings, also Shop4Memory.com.
    As others have mentioned shop around.

As an aside there is pretty good chance that some of the Dixons/Currys/PCWorld group of shops will be closing here next year.
    There is no way in current climate that they can all remain open.
    They are having huge problems in UK at the moment.

Does anybody remember our own Compustore and how fast they disappeared ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

Good point about the type of cards, of course. These are M+H xDs. Only €6.88. And I'd COMPLETELY forgotten Compustore. Isn't that silly?

We set up http://www.peg.ie in part because I got tired of paying over the top prices. I'm NOT a techie (we have a couple of partners and employees who know what they're talking about). But a couple of years ago, I was buying a laptop for my son, and had a hard time comparing apples to apples, if you know what I mean, and ended up paying way too much.

Yes, I've heard the rumours about PC World/Curry's/etc being in trouble. I was in a Curry's (in Navan) the other day, and it was empty. They employ lots of people, and must say that I hope they're able to hang in there...

Peg

Peggy Peg both your first and second post are advertising your company. I suggest you read the charter before a mod bans you. Fair play on the company but if you want to advertise it on boards you'll need to pay for the privilege. Just a friendly word of warning.

Thanks for the advice. It's appreciated!

Peggy Peg wrote: »
    Good point about the type of cards, of course. These are M+H xDs. Only €6.88. And I'd COMPLETELY forgotten Compustore. Isn't that silly?

Yeah it is silly. BTW are you the one handling customer service ?

BTW nothing against your own name, but Peg brings cold shivers to me and probably lots of others that suffered Irish for leaving cert.

The company name was NOT mine. Promise! Someone liked 'Peg', then the name got bandied around, then it stuck. The next thing I knew, someone had designed a logo - and that was that. As you say, cold shivers from leaving cert. And I remember...ooo!

Yep, am doing 'some' of the customer service. It's interesting in that I have just a whole lot to learn (always fun), and my depth of product knowledge isn't the best. Frankly, I suspect that our customers are teaching me more than I'm 'teaching' them. So I'll have to keep on listening. When someone asks me something I simply don't know - there's an instant call to our technical people.

Take care. P

The company name was NOT mine. Promise! Someone liked 'Peg', then the name got bandied around, then it stuck. The next thing I knew, someone had designed a logo - and that was that. As you say, cold shivers from leaving cert. And I remember...ooo!

Yep, am doing 'some' of the customer service. It's interesting in that I have just a whole lot to learn (always fun), and my depth of product knowledge isn't the best. Frankly, I suspect that our customers are teaching me more than I'm 'teaching' them. So I'll have to keep on listening. When someone asks me something I simply don't know - there's an instant call to our technical people.

Take care. P

Good luck with site...people are finally copping on about shopping around and looking for bargains.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

martin1016 wrote: »
    I have to say I was stunned at the price difference - I could understand 20-25%, high street versus online but 300% completely blew me away
    Normal enough, people are ignorant and they prey on this. Sometimes they might have stuff cheap like a camera, people might have seen an online price. Then they naively presume all the stuff is priced "correctly".

My mate got a 1GB sony card in currys the other day for €30. Brought it back after he then found & bought either a 4 or 8gb one on mymemory for £21 (~€25.50)

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

Take care. P
    Was looking on that site myself. Cheapish for certain small items. But. Was looking at a Sony KDL40W4000. At €1,493.50 it is nearly €400 more expensive than Power Citys' €1,099.95.

Boo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

boopolo wrote: »
    Was looking on that site myself. Cheapish for certain small items. But. Was looking at a Sony KDL40W4000. At €1,493.50 it is nearly €400 more expensive than Power Citys' €1,099.95.

Boo
    Was looking round the site myself, stuff not really that cheap on it, there's a HP Compaq DX2400 MicroTower PC for €453.43
    Intel Pentium Dual Core E2180 @ 2.0GHz 1024KB (L2 Cache)
    Windows Vista Business downgrade to Windows XP Professional
    1 GB PC2-6400 DDR2 800 SDRAM Memory
    250GB (7200rpm) Hard Disk Drive
    SATA DVD+/-RW 16x SuperMulti LightScribe
    16-in-1 Media Card Reader
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100
    Integrated Realtek 8111C-GR GbE Ethernet

This from Dell, Inspiron 530 for €429
    Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 processor @ 2.5GHz, 800MHz, 2MB cache
    *Extra €40.15 can upgrade processor to Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 processor @ 2.53GHz, 1066MHz, 3MB cache*
    Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium with Service Pack 1, 32-bit - English
    Microsoft® Works 9.0 - English
    2048MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
    320GB (7200rpm) SATA Hard Drive
    DVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD)
    Integrated Intel® Graphic Media Accelerator 3100
    Integrated 7.1 Channel High Definition Audio
    19-in-1 Media Card Reader
    Dell™ Entry Quietkey USB Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
    Dell 2 Button USB Scroll Optical Mouse - Black

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

jmayo wrote: »
    I nearly fell over last year when watched some poor eejit walk out with load of Symantec Software under his arm for his brand new laptop. ?

its how alot of them places make their money,on the less tech savy people,like the usual offer of trying to sell you mcfree virus killer or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

peg.ie €7 shipping for a memory card come on whos ripping who off here !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bigdaz1970

its the same over in the uk , i only use them if it late at night and i need a part , i use overclockers uk

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Earth Traveller

A couple of years ago, I went to the PC World Irish site <http://www.pcworld.ie/&gt; and it said 'under construction'. Two years later it is still 'coming soon'. An I.T. retailer that can't get a web site up - it says a lot!

lol that does say a lot about them , dont think i will ask them to do me a web site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

or a clever market ploy to get you into the store lol

that true , lol it would put me right off

Advertisement