Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

As an Audi fan, this is just plain wrong...

Options
  • 27-11-2008 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭

Replica R8

Some would say you'd only buy a supercar if you were compensating for something.
    How much are you compensating if you buy a supercar that's not actually super at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

it looks sh1t as well:eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Sweet, one of the best replicas i've seen in a long time, so how much would a donor car cost.. !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

it has some similar features to the R8, the grills for example. But to be honest it looks more like an S5 than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

not a bad job in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Sure beats this "McClaren F1".

b8_1_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Complete with super glued R8 on the wheel ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Not too shabby, I've seen a lot worse. Of course its no Audi but as a project they have done an amazing job.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

That McLaren F1 is a p1sstake! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

I don't think it looks bad at all. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

I think it looks astonishingly bad, considering that it is a decent effort at replicating what I consider to be a good looking car. The devil is in the detail it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Humm... It seems unfortunate to make a replica supercar from a Mk1 Mondeo, but notwithstanding, it looks well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Thats just plain nasty.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

That back quarter is brutal. The front actually doesn't look too bad but why would you bother. Plus it would cost a bloody fortune to do it...and if you are gonna be a pleb and make a replica at least try and do it to something more interesting than a Cougar...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

JJJJNR wrote: »
    so how much would a donor car cost.. !

Only one's dignity. The real thing or nothing imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Rover V8 under the bonnet? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Do people call the R8 a supercar because Clarkson said so? I wouldn't put it in the same league as the Mclaren F1. No comment on the replica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Fabritzo wrote: »
    Do people call the R8 a supercar because Clarkson said so? I wouldn't put it in the same league as the Maclaren F1. No comment on the replica.

I definitely wouldn't put it in the "super car" column. Probably equal to a Porsche 911 Turbo but not a Veyron or LP420.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

To be a supercar, I'd say a car has to be relatively rare, relatively expensive, high-performance, etc. etc.

I'd consider the R8, the Lambos, 911 Turbos, Bently Coupe etc. as supercars.
    I would exclude cars like the Atom & it's ilk because, even though it's blisteringly fast, it's missing a certain desirability.
    I also wouldn't include the RS6 or M5, they're a little to "practical" to be "super".
    If you restrict the definition of "supercar" too much, the only cars in that category will be Veyrons & Koennigseggs(?).

In short, it's gotta be on a poster on some car-nut teenager's wall somewhere to be a supercar.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

AudiChris wrote: »
    In short, it's gotta be on a poster on some car-nut teenager's wall somewhere to be a supercar.
    That's actually an excellent definition, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Not sure, I am sure there is poor deviant child somewhere that has a picture of a Vectra on his wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

AudiChris wrote: »
    To be a supercar, I'd say a car has to be relatively rare, relatively expensive, high-performance, etc. etc.

I'd consider the R8, the Lambos, 911 Turbos, Bently Coupe etc. as supercars.
    I would exclude cars like the Atom & it's ilk because, even though it's blisteringly fast, it's missing a certain desirability.
    I also wouldn't include the RS6 or M5, they're a little to "practical" to be "super".
    If you restrict the definition of "supercar" too much, the only cars in that category will be Veyrons & Koennigseggs(?).

IMO,
    Sports cars: Ferraris, Lambos, Astons, Porsches etc.
    Super cars: Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Pagani etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Agreed. Though the Ferrari F40 was the first car poster I owned, the Audi TT mk1 also featured amongst others. Beauty came first.
    The Audi R8 would definitely feature on my wall if I was 14 now. Stunning car.

I have to say the team who made this R8 replica really knew what they were doing! Replica cars usually make me sick, but this is the best Ive ever seen. Amazing really (technically speaking). Not that I would ever drive the end result, seeing as I dont really agree with car mods beyond wheels and stereos..

qz wrote: »
    IMO,
    Sports cars: Ferraris, Lambos, Astons, Porsches etc.
    Super cars: Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Pagani etc.

I think the Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Pagani etc are defined as "hyper cars" and the super cars are Ferraris, Lambos, Astons, Porsches. I'd say a sports car = mx 5 or even a hatch...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I'd say a sports car = mx 5

Yeah MX5, RX8, M3, TT, S3, Elise, RS4, etc. are all baseline sports cars. Anything from MX5 up really.

i.e. Ford Ka sport or a Renault Megane sport are not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

It is just so unbelievably sad. Impressive enough for a little home engineering job but you could not be doing for any other reason.

fluffer wrote: »
    Yeah MX5, RX8, M3, TT, S3, Elise, RS4, etc. are all baseline sports cars. Anything from MX5 up really.

i.e. Ford Ka sport or a Renault Megane sport are not!

for arguements sake I'd say the Megane sport 225 would be a sports car, its up there / down there with the S3 at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

It's actually not that bad a job.... but could you sleep at night :pac: :pac:
    Reminds me of the guys who do up their Audi 1.9TDI to look like an RS4. Saw one the other day, had the RS4 badge on it.... and most of the RS4 upgrades..... the muppet forgot to take the 1.9TDI badge off though :rolleyes:

and the kit costs £25k...lol, I'd rather have myself a real sports car than a fake super-car.... but thats just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

jimbling wrote: »

and the kit costs £25k...lol, I'd rather have myself a real sports car than a fake super-car.... but thats just me.

Yeah those 1.9TDi RS4's are fcuking eveywhere, but £25k, don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

its not as nice as the replica ariel atom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

There's one thing wrong with that, that just annoy's the **** outta me with every replica produced. The wheels/wheel arches are always completely off.

edit: This is probably the worst i've ever seen, looks like a toy lol.
    nickop576.jpg

Advertisement