Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where a club specifies 'no sports wear'

• 27-11-2008 10:56am

Does this footwear get you in, or see you stopped at the door?

AAAAAvs17AcAAAAAAPidIQ.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Where a club has a dress code, you wont get in unless your shoes have buckles, your shirt is stripy, or chequered and some fella "Ben Sherman" has written his name on it, your levi 501's have a belt with a lovely buckle, and your shoes have a matching buckle. Enjoy the Heino.

Ben Sherman?

Isn;t that a bit rough? Would have thought nothing less than Hilfiger or Polo?

You may be right Conor, you may be right.

I'm showing my true lack of knowledge of the beer-boy scene.
    For shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

I suppose they're not exactly Nike Air runners. I'd imagine if you look like a decent respectable person you might get away with it. If you look like a scumbag you won't. They are runners at the end of the day, so maybe you'd be better off putting on stylish shoes instead.

Hate shoes. Hate them even more in a club. There is no point in clubbing unless one slams the floorboards. And hate places where people wear the aforementioned Hilfiger and Polo stuff. Gimme a pub full of hippies in combats. Just that I'm heading away with about 20 on a stag, and many of them will be pretty respectable, and I expect they will be clubbing in places where combats and hoodies will not be welcome. Just wondering what footwear is expected in such places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Id say you will be grand. I usually find when im forced to go to these types of things that as long as your shoes are not Nike Air Max or Asics or something your usually fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

why take the risk.
    luckily i live in new york where runners are allowed everywhere as long as there not disgusting looking.i actually dont own a pair of shoes,cant stand them.i was back in my home town a few years back and there was a place that had a no runners policy.i walked up to the door and there was two total scummers ahead of me.they sailed past the doormen.then the doormen looked at my feet and said no runners.i said cmon lads its not like im dressed like a knacker(actually was in a shirt, jeans and blazer)and the bloke still said no runners.my mate who was going home said,you can have mine.so we slipped off our shoes and swapped them in front of the bouncers and then he let me in,****ing joke:D
    but yeah why risk it,put on some cow pelts and be done with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭lottodrink

Does this footwear get you in, or see you stopped at the door?

AAAAAvs17AcAAAAAAPidIQ.jpg
    You be grand with them yeah.. My mate wears a similar pair all the time out to clubs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Where are you seeing this rule??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Not a shoes man myself, i like to wear my Adidas Gazelles and the likes, it's become a lot more relaxed to be honest than what it used to be in dance clubs, in fairness anyones wearing tracksuits or Nike air max is asking for trouble and i personally would refuse someone wearing that clothing if i was a bouncer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

the sports wear thing is often written as a way of turning away a load of knackers with celtic jerseys away from doors. In fact having a no soccer jerseys rule is a good way of keeping the riffraff away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

jtsuited wrote: »
    the sports wear thing is often written as a way of turning away a load of knackers with celtic jerseys away from doors. In fact having a no soccer jerseys rule is a good way of keeping the riffraff away.
    ha ha soccer jerseys,the official clothing of the knacker on holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭NotInventedHere

I'm going to use that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I have had problems with my footwear ONCE in all my years clubbing in Ireland, which was at Lush/Kellys in Portrush where they thought that bright white Osiris skate shoes were a bit too skangery (not sure where they got that from), but let me in anyway as I'd driven up from Maynooth.

Any club with 'no sportswear' I've been in would let those in. Like others here have said themselves, I don't own a pair of shoes. At all. Got my job in an interview with black DCs on...

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gsparx

i was in belfast a while back on a stag and they wouldn't let me in to a place unless i took out my earring.
    be careful out there......in ireland it's always 1954.

I was refused in a pub the other week, as my DVS skate shoes were white...we laughed at the poor bouncer, and his boss started saying "no, you're ok, you're alright" but we left. Any place thats strict on shoes, etc, generally has clientelle I don't want to be around, I find.

So...if you're blown out, just go somewhere they leave people like you in, I guess.

It used be that "people wouldn't fight in their good clothes" but it's not the 70's any more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

I was refused in a pub the other week, as my DVS skate shoes were white...we laughed at the poor bouncer, and his boss started saying "no, you're ok, you're alright" but we left. Any place thats strict on shoes, etc, generally has clientelle I don't want to be around, I find.

So...if you're blown out, just go somewhere they leave people like you in, I guess.

It used be that "people wouldn't fight in their good clothes" but it's not the 70's any more...

agreed, the stricter the dress code, the more violent/dodgy/uneducated the clientele.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

agreed, the stricter the dress code, the more violent/dodgy/uneducated the clientele.

Absolutely - I'd feel far far less safe in a nightclub full of Fred Perry and Ben Sherman, shoes and dark trousers wearing lads than I would in a club full of people in jeans and tshirts with runners on.

Advertisement