Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pint/coffee as Gaeilge anyone?

• 27-11-2008 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone fancies meeting some evening during the week in Galway for pint or coffee around town to chat for an hour or so in the Irish language?

Just a bit of background on myself - I am not a native speaker. I studied Irish in school like everyone else but had little interest. Only after college in fact did I gain an appreciation. My level isn't bad now but I struggle sometimes with the hardcore canúintí, or accents, especially that of Dún na nGall! Since moving to Galway I have wanted to take advantage of the promixity to the Gaeltacht, in what is arguably Ireland's most gaelic city. There is a chat session on Wed evenings in Arus na nGael on Dominic St., which is good, but I'd rather chat more regularly than once a week to build up some decently fluency over time.

I watch TG4 and sometimes listen to RnaG but I need something more interactive to improve my spoken Irish. I am not bothered what level you have yourself, just that you would be keen to swap vocab and phrases in the context of a natural everyday chat about whatever takes your interest. So whether you are a native speaker or beginner and an hour spare some night for a chat drop me a PM please. Táim ag tnúth le bhur gcuid freagraithe! Looking forward to your responses.

(Another possiblity is, if there is a healthy response, to get a group chat going - this would be great, but could present coordination problems.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'll speak Irish GibberIrish after 8 pints, no problem :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Can I get a grant from Eamonn O'Cuiv for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭AvrilLavigne

Head out to Tí Hughes in Spiddal and you can speak Irish every night of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Robbo wrote: »

http://apps.facebook.com/galway-gifts-bafcad/ - a must-have for any Galwegians on Facebook! Includes "A grant from Eamon O Cuiv. cause you changed your name to Irish"

OP - fair play for making the effort, I know its not as good as real-life but there's an Irish-speaking forum on boards if you fancy getting in some practice while you're online: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=904

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

cornbb wrote: »
    http://apps.facebook.com/galway-gifts-bafcad/ - a must-have for any Galwegians on Facebook! Includes "A grant from Eamon O Cuiv. cause you changed your name to Irish"
    I was thinking of that alright. I have more than enough pictures of Maverick Padraic Conneely at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Maith an fear!

Níl go leor ám breise agam ach má tá suim ag cupla daoine déanfaidh mé iarracht pairt a bhaint as an eachtracht seo.

I haven't much free time but if a few people are interested, I'll make an effort to take part. Certainly speaking Irish is a lot easier than typing it :).
    cornbb wrote:
    there's an Irish-speaking forum on boards
    He posted it originally on there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tá beagán am féin ach nílím cinnte an bhfuil fonn orm í a roinnt le foghlaimeoir :pac:

snubbleste wrote: »
    Tá beagán am féin ach nílím cinnte an bhfuil fonn orm í a roinnt le foghlaimeoir :pac:

Careful now, this is boards.IE and all posts in Irish must be kept hidden away in a deep dark corner where few dare to roam. :rolleyes:

People fear what they do not understand. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Right, they are just saying they have little time and are not sure if they care to share it with a learner.

M'fhreagra - my response:
    Fair enough - but if you were lucky enough to be brought up as a native speaker, then shirking opportunities to spread the gospel mar a déarfá could be argued to be a little dog in the manger. But, of course, it is your own precious time and thanks all the same for the reply.

As regards the Spiddal suggestion, again thanks, but it seems a bit of a truck out the road from Galway of an evening for the sake of cúpla focail. The other issue is that people in pubs tend to have their own conversations going or want time alone. They may not like being approached by an oddball such as myself in any tongue! There is also the issue that snubbleste has about not having the patience to deal with a learner when they would rather speak with fellow 'fíor-ghaelgóirí'. Surely there are people from the Irish-speaking regions in Galway based in the city itself?

topper75 wrote: »
    Right, they are just saying they have little time and are not sure if they care to share it with a learner.

What they said was that they have a little and are not sure if they care to share it with a learner.

Tí Hughes will welcome you in no bother. It is right next to where Rós Ná Rón is filmed so there is a good mix of people who are interested in Irish and have massively varying degrees of knowledge. Many people on the show have no Irish, but just learn lines.

In town, try Taffees, although it is usually just horny out of work Aran fishermen in there so if you are a guy it won't be so bad, if not, avoid!

• Advertisement

I can't believe you replied to me in english! :eek:

Ní muinteoir mé and I've gone along to the learner nights in Arus na nGael a few nights and it is very trying talking slowly and explaining verbs!

I'd reccommend immersing yourself in the language somehow whether it's going for a role in an irish language play or working in an irish-speaking environment. Of course there is no harm trying to make friends on here ach an oiread..

Má bhíonn mé ag dul amach Dé h-Aoine nó Dé Sathairn, cuireadh mé post ead. Ní féidir liom dul amach anocht.

Má bhíonn mé ag dul amach Dé h-Aoine nó Dé Sathairn, cuireadh mé post ead. Ní féidir liom dul amach anocht.

ag níochán do ghruaig an ea?

ag níochán do ghruaig an ea?

An ea! :D

Cén teanga í sin?

Gléas!

An ea! :D Cén teanga í sin? Gléas!

Teanga an chonnachtach nach ea?
    Ar smaoineadh tu ar chor ar bith mfheidir gur dunmharai no bleachtaire priobhaideach é topper75?

Cainniúnt Uladh ceapaim! Más dúnmharfóir é beidh oiche suimiúl againn! :eek:

An bhfuil tú ag teacht?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Robbo wrote: »

If yer in the Orange Order, yer guaranteed one from the w*nker

An bhfuil tú ag teacht?

Ní cheapainn go tiocfaidh mé, bhféidir uari éicint amach anseo. Bainnigí sult as má théann sibh amach ar an ól.

What they said was that they have a little and are not sure if they care to share it with a learner.

Tí Hughes will welcome you in no bother. It is right next to where Rós Ná Rón is filmed so there is a good mix of people who are interested in Irish and have massively varying degrees of knowledge. Many people on the show have no Irish, but just learn lines.

In town, try Taffees, although it is usually just horny out of work Aran fishermen in there so if you are a guy it won't be so bad, if not, avoid!
    sorry - read it too fast. OK Tí Hughes has to be due a visit based on your recommendation. As for Taafe's, also worth a shot and sure I still have a strong back on me to shake off the ould boys should they try something.:)

I can't believe you replied to me in english! :eek:
    Ha! Fair call. Deirtear go bhfuil cosc ar Gaeilge ar na ghnáth-bordanna taobh amuigh de Teach na nGealt. Bí cúramach nó beidh tú i do martyr don teanga!
    Ní muinteoir mé and I've gone along to the learner nights in Arus na nGael a few nights and it is very trying talking slowly and explaining verbs!
    Yeah I hear you there. I don't mind chatting with learners but would prefer to spend time pushing my own Irish forward.
    I'd reccommend immersing yourself in the language somehow whether it's going for a role in an irish language play or working in an irish-speaking environment. Of course there is no harm trying to make friends on here ach an oiread..
    could be an idea for 2009.
    Ceart go leor. Go raibh maith agat. Scríobh chugham leis na sonraí níos déanaí sa tseachtain más maith leat.

Teanga an chonnachtach nach ea?
    Ar smaoineadh tu ar chor ar bith mfheidir gur dunmharai no bleachtaire priobhaideach é topper75?

Ha! Is oth liom a rá nach bhfuilim chomh-shiumiúil leis na daoine i do shamhlaíocht. Má tá eagla ag éinne, is féidir linn buaileadh lena chéile i stáisiúin na nGardaí ar dtús.:)

An bhfuil tú ag teacht?
    Bhfuel, b'fhéidir go mbuailfidh mise agus AvrilLavigne le chéile ag an deireadh seachtaine ar dtús agus má eirimid go maith leis, beidh fáilte roimh cách ar na h-oicheanta eile.

Táim cinnte go bhfuil suim ag go leor gaelgóirí eile in nGaillimh freisin atá ag iarraidh feabhas a chur ar a gcuid Gaeilge agus iad tuirseach de na ranganna foirmiúla. D'fhoghlaim mé féin cúpla teangacha eile riamh agus is fearr liom an modh neamh-fhoirmiúla.

• Advertisement
Advertisement