Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wearing Footie tops ?

• 27-11-2008 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭

Nothing wrong with wearing footie tops at all especially if you are a kid or if you are playing a game or going to watch a game or maybe going to the pub to watch a game. What I don't get though is when you are X years old (not sure what X is maybe over 30, i'm 34) and you are doing grocery shopping in Tescos with a Pool, Utd or whatever top on. What made the guy think, ok I'm off to do a bit of shopping I'II put my Liverpool top on. Or I'm off to the cinema with the missus, think I'II go as Rooney.

not a big issue I admit :D but I'm just curious, any answers. "maybe I paid enough for it" or "Its comfortable"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I wear mine all the time. All my City jerseys have names, numbers, badges etc and I wear them cause I'm proud.

Headin off to the shopping now in my Shels jersey.

I only wear my United or Barca jerseys when I either go to games, play footy or occasionally round the house. The odd time Id wear the Barce jersey out, Id never wear my United jerseys out.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    I wear mine all the time. All my City jerseys have names, numbers, badges etc and I wear them cause I'm proud.

If I lived in Oz I'd wear them all the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Sad bastards imo.

Football tops are for

a. playing football in
    b. going to football in

NOTHING else.

They are NOT fashion items.

Even worse are people in jersies from some weird team in the Bundesliga or Argentinian Division "oh look at me, I know so much about football". Idiots.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Agree with Neil.

When I was all over the world I was spreading the good word of Shels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Des wrote: »
    Sad bastards imo.

Football tops are for

a. playing football in
    b. going to football in

NOTHING else.

Even worse are people in jersies from some weird team in the Bundesliga or Argentinian Division "oh look at me, I know so much about football". Idiots.

Hmm, that's me. I have obscure shirts from Mexico, Chile, Venezuela. But I know only a little about football. My statement if I wear one is, "Look, I like football. But I am not a sheep"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Only wear them when im playing. Have a fine collection of international jerseys.

Never wear them casual - just looks wrong tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭TheAlmightyZeus

I really don't pay much attention to what shirt I put on in the morning. I throw on a Wolves jersey at least once a week when I'm goin into college and matchdays. Who says you can only support your team only when they're playing? There's nothing wrong with wearing football jerseys casually, if you do have a problem with it then you should be posting this under fashion, not soccer.

I did wear my United jersey for a solid 4-5 days straight last May in the run up to and aftermath of Moscow I will admit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Jaysus lads, who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Cionád wrote: »
    Jaysus lads, who cares?

Why post then :confused: Just ignore it and it will go away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think it's absolutely fine to go round wearing footie tops all day long .... so long as the cheque from the football club and their team sponsor has cleared into your bank account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Ya footie tops are really for playing or watching your team play - same goes for GAA tops. Its alright on other rare occasions eg holiday, random day etc but not on a regular basis?

It goes without saying the type of person that do wear footie tops on a regular basis are definitely on the lower end of the intelligence scale and you can usually find them chewing on straw and drinking cans of Dutch Gold.
    (always wearing either Man Utd / Liverpool or Dublin top)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I just wear it when lazing about the house or playing football or going to a match would never wear tops to the pub even if there is a match on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I don't make a concious decision to wear it going out.

But if I have it on in the house I'm not going to say: 'Jayzus cant go to the shop in my Arsenal Jersey...'

Wear them training all the time though

Warper wrote: »
    same goes for GAA tops

GAA followers are worse for this, I find.

When I was in Australia you'd get all these "county" tops in the Irish bars, then at about eleven o'clock they'd all start singing "go on home" or some other such shíte, off with the tops, farmers tans all over the shop.

Bloody morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Have a old united shirt, and a few Rovers football and training shirts, and wear them playing football, gym. jogging or whatever. Sometimes wear them on holiday, or on a warm day when you're knocking around your local area.

Wouldn't wear them 'out' though.
    Pigman II wrote: »
    I think it's absolutely fine to go round wearing footie tops all day long .... so long as the cheque from the football club and their team sponsor has cleared into your bank account.

I (my wife really) gets a Woodies discount so fair enough. :)

When I was in Australia you'd get all these "county" tops in the Irish bars, then at about eleven o'clock they'd all start singing "go on home" or some other such shíte, off with the tops, farmers tans all over the shop.

Bloody morons.

Still on the plus the side it's a great way to avoid running into any of them when abroad (presuming the ginger hair and pink arms don't give it away first).

What on earth you were doing in an Irish bar tho is your own business!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I should qualify my post. I only wear a football shirt when mucking about on the beach or similar. I can't play any more, and it wouldn't be my idea of dressed going out - in fact I'm surprised clubs and hotels etc even allow people wearing football shirts through the door.

Pigman II wrote: »
    What on earth you were doing in an Irish bar tho is your own business!

Bottles of Bulmers, tayto crisps and lyons tea bags.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

theres something sexy about a bird in a football jersey!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,101 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I just wear them in a bit of a t-shirt rotation at times, but mostly just when im playing.

As for obscure jerseys, i have loads of them too, everyone knows i like football and play football as much as i can, so whenever anyone needs to get me a present from anywhere, that seems to be the first choice.

Agreed.

football_shirt_787_1.jpg

I wonder how many Fiorentina supporters wore this when doing their shopping? :confused:

(Proves that shirts should be as simple as possible)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

The only time a grown man should wear a jersey when not playing football is to a cup final or a European game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Well it would set me back a fair few quid to buy a jersey, so if I only wore it while going to/watching games I wouldn't be getting great value out of it, now would I? If I want to throw on my team's colours then I will do so, end of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I usually just wear mine whenever i want to grow a sh!tyl little moustache, hop on a Luas without paying cos i'm superior to everyone else or walk around town with no money in my pockets.

monkey9 wrote: »
    I usually just wear mine whenever i want to grow a sh!tyl little moustache, hop on a Luas without paying cos i'm superior to everyone else or walk around town with no money in my pockets.

Mass Stereotyping ftw!

monkey9 wrote: »

Everyday occurance for a SPA fan tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Frisbee wrote: »
    Mass Stereotyping ftw!

I know, i love it!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I don't see the fuss to be honest... It's just an item of clothing :confused: I'm wearing a Germany shirt at the moment despite having no German heritage... It was just cheap, and it looks pretty good. Thus, I bought it.

I don't think it says anything about the person (certainly doesn't automatically make them "sad b*stards"), and I don't read too much into it.

I also don't see how it's any less "sad" to wear a football shirt when playing football, UNLESS you're wearing the shirt of the team you're playing for... There's no reason to wear a Liverpool jersey while playing astro, unless you like to pretend you're Fernando Torres. There are other sports shirts that you can wear that don't have a football crest on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

Would only ever wear one if I am playing football. Always wear a proper shirt of some sort to Old Trafford these days.

Mostly I stopped wearing them because the type of person that wears them at Old Trafford tends to

A. Not have a clue
    B. Have a ****ing huge beer belly that is bursting through the shirts.

Proper shirt
    Black and Moody its the only way :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

Only time I'd wear a jersey is to a match, the gym or to the pub if my team are playing a big game.

Wouldn't judge those who do, but I just don't think it's appropriate (probably the wrong word!) to be going around the shops in a jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

apoch632 wrote: »
    Would only ever wear one if I am playing football. Always wear a proper shirt of some sort to Old Trafford these days.

Mostly I stopped wearing them because the type of person that wears them at Old Trafford tends to

A. Not have a clue
    B. Have a ****ing huge beer belly that is bursting through the shirts.

Proper shirt
    Black and Moody its the only way :cool:

I reckon you'd look more like you hadn't a clue in a black shirt. That or a fairweather fan. I always wear a jersey at OT.

Just to note: I have a clue and don't have a beer belly! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

Carturo wrote: »
    I reckon you'd look more like you hadn't a clue in a black shirt. That or a fairweather fan. I always wear a jersey at OT.

Just to note: I have a clue and don't have a beer belly! :D

Have you been to an away game ever. Not too many jerseys in the k-stand. Nor the 2nd tier of the stretford end.
    By the way its the jacket which is black not the shirt I should have cleared that up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

Carturo wrote: »

A lot of wrongness there.

• Advertisement

podge018 wrote: »
    A lot of wrongness there.

A lot.

I wear my black jacket with a couple of pinbadges to Shels games.

Jersey underneath, but I'd only be in the bar in Tolka with that on anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i throw on one of my many villa jerseys and a pair of comfy tracksuit bottoms when i get home from work. its not a conscious decision to make it clear i support villa or anything, theyre just handy for around the house clothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Bloody morons.

I thought the Irish in Aus. where morons anyway, wearing teh GAA shirt just helped you identify, and avoid, them earlier.

They seem to think they are the post prolific and best crack nationality of all the backpackers in Australia.

Back to shirts, the only ones I have are a GAA and a ROI one and I only wear them to games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

yes, yes there is....

West Ham, Everton, Pompey, Sunderland and Fulham.

in no specific order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with wearing footie tops at all especially if you are a kid or if you are playing a game or going to watch a game or maybe going to the pub to watch a game. What I don't get though is when you are X years old (not sure what X is maybe over 30, i'm 34) and you are doing grocery shopping in Tescos with a Pool, Utd or whatever top on. What made the guy think, ok I'm off to do a bit of shopping I'II put my Liverpool top on. Or I'm off to the cinema with the missus, think I'II go as Rooney.

not a big issue I admit :D but I'm just curious, any answers. "maybe I paid enough for it" or "Its comfortable"

Can I nominate this for most stupid post ever?

Sad bastards imo.

Football tops are for

a. playing football in
    b. going to football in

NOTHING else.

Are you a bit of a cock?

First of all whats wrong with showing you have a great appreciation of the sport? Football jerseys are comfortable. Im proud that I support Liverpool and im proud that I love soccer. I dont give a **** what people think. And when I see obscure jerseys I think "hm nice jersey" or if its a bad one id think the opposite. And people who go to games not wearing jerseys really confuse me. Your their to support not only vocally but visually.

Sexy_football_soccer_team_nearly_na.jpg

*sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

God, no.
    joe123 wrote: »
    And people who go to games not wearing jerseys really confuse me. Your their to support not only vocally but visually.

Very rarely wear a shirt to games. Each to their own, though.

Are you a bit of a cock?

Nope

Nope

Fair enough, just thought that from your post.

Fair enough, just thought that from your post.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Frisbee wrote: »
    West Ham, Everton, Pompey, Sunderland and Fulham.

in no specific order
    Are you saying you wear all those jerseys?

Why?

CiaranC wrote: »
    Are you saying you wear all those jerseys?

Why?

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the fluff on show in the youtube vid

stovelid wrote: »
    God, no.

Soccerette tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement