Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wearing Footie tops ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I wear my jerseys all the time. If anyone is offended by that then they can go **** themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I wear my jerseys all the time. If anyone is offended by that then they can go **** themselves.

Best answer in the thread, imo.

Who cares what other people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

And people who go to games not wearing jerseys really confuse me. Your their to support not only vocally but visually.

Different clubs have different things they do. Football fans are not a homogeneous thing.

Newcastle fans like to go topless
    United fans dont like wearing colours(Only since the city match last year have scarfs really made a comeback)
    Liverpool fans like wearing colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

joe123 wrote: »
    Can I nominate this for most stupid post ever?

You sure can joe, you sure can.

I'd advise you to hang on for tomorrows follow up though "football scarfs, wtf"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I wear mine out now and then. I couldnt care less what other people think. Each to their own I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Des wrote: »
    Soccerette tbh.

Girls in soccer jerseys are still way better than GAA ones, I guess.

stovelid wrote: »
    Girls in soccer jerseys are still way better than GAA ones, I guess.

I agree with this.

You ever been in any of the pubs near Croke Park when there are two "counties" playing?

Swamp-donkeys doesn't even begin to cover it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

What is wrong with wearing a soccer jersey out?
    Can someone please tell me this is a genuine question.
    Your obviously not going to wear it to a job interview
    but if your just going down to the shop whats wrong?

I agree with this.

You ever been in any of the pubs near Croke Park when there are two "counties" playing?

Swamp-donkeys doesn't even begin to cover it tbh.

Aye. Some of the worst shirts I've seen in my life.

It's almost as if they do it on purpose to look less modern than soccer jerseys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

ajeffares wrote: »
    What is wrong with wearing a soccer jersey out?
    Can someone please tell me this is a genuine question.
    Your obviously not going to wear it to a job interview
    but if your just going down to the shop whats wrong?

Technically there's nothing wrong with it, it's not like your wearing a banana skin for a condom or hanging bean tins off your ears. When I see a 40 year old man walking down the road in a big shiny red jersey with Carlsberg splashed across the front and Torres across the back I just think he looks like a big kid.

Would you wear jockey silks down the shop, or Ken Dohery's waistcoat? :D Don't answer that, it's half in jest.

podge018 wrote: »
    and Torres across the back I just think he looks like a big kid.

Whatever about jerseys, no man over the age of 18 should have a player's name on his back.

Have to also say it's hypocritical because I like both clubs, but I'd rather wear the Rovers shirt than the United one, as I think when you see both shirts out and about, there is more chance of the latter not being a real football fan. Also have to admit, it's nice seeing another person in a LOI shirt too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Grown men with a 7 and Ronaldo written on the back of their 70 euro shirt. it is really a bit silly.
    At the front they look like they are bringing their own ball to the game or are driving a motorbike and have no better place to hide the helmet than under their shirt.

I often wonder... do their wives iron those shirts with a wok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Personally only wear jerseys to a match ( not on away games) when at the gym or on a sofa day can depend on the occasion I remember when Armagh won the all Ireland in 2002 every man woman child and sheep wore orange for months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Have not worn a shirt to a game since March last year, and before that was probably 4 or 5 years ago.

Don't even wear a scarf, not since I had six City fans snarling "yid cnut" at me on the platform at Manchester Airport on my way to Wigan-Spurs when they spotted my scarf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Sad bastards imo.

Football tops are for

a. playing football in
    b. going to football in

NOTHING else.

They are NOT fashion items.

Even worse are people in jersies from some weird team in the Bundesliga or Argentinian Division "oh look at me, I know so much about football". Idiots.

Damn, that last one's me. In my defence I bought it out there. :P

Would only wear it if playing football, in the gym or hungover and it's the closest thing. Student life can be tough at times after all.

• Advertisement

Also have to admit, it's nice seeing another person in a LOI shirt too.

I always have this urge to chat to anyone I see out and about in a LoI jersey.

If it's Rovers I usually want to dig the head off them :p

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

wow, there are some really narrow minded viewpoints in here. Who gave any of those I am referring to the godly right to decide what should and shouldnt worn by men when they get to a certain age. Thats pretty pathetic tbh!

To some people comfort dictates what they wear, to some its fashion, to supporters it may be that they are actually proud to support their team and wear them regardless of how crap they look.

Get off your high horse and accept that everyone is not the same and thank god!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

dardoz wrote: »
    wow, there are some really narrow minded viewpoints in here. Who gave any of those I am referring to the godly right to decide what should and shouldnt worn by men when they get to a certain age. Thats pretty pathetic tbh!

To some people comfort dictates what they wear, to some its fashion, to supporters it may be that they are actually proud to support their team and wear them regardless of how crap they look.

Get off your high horse and accept that everyone is not the same and thank god!

Couldn't agree more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

you can feel as proud as you like and I won't say a word to you about it, but in my opinion you look ridiculous and I'll have a little inward chuckle at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

wear my villa jerseys with pride :D

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

podge018 wrote: »
    you can feel as proud as you like and I won't say a word to you about it, but in my opinion you look ridiculous and I'll have a little inward chuckle at you.

Well I think that says a lot for you as a person. Perhaps you should try to judge people less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Whatever about jerseys, no man over the age of 18 should have a player's name on his back.

Have to also say it's hypocritical because I like both clubs, but I'd rather wear the Rovers shirt than the United one, as I think when you see both shirts out and about, there is more chance of the latter not being a real football fan. Also have to admit, it's nice seeing another person in a LOI shirt too.

this thread is bad enough without having a 'real fan' v 'prawn sandwich' debate in it.

Anyone else have a habit of buying jerseys from places they visit...?

I've a River Plate jersey, a Palmeiras top, a Valencia jersey...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I've a River Plate jersey, a Palmeiras top, a Valencia jersey...

Poor attempt at a brag of where you've been!!

I'v got a Courtown, Ballybunnion and Kilkee one so there :p

Poor attempt at a brag of where you've been!!

I'v got a Courtown, Ballybunnion and Kilkee one so there :p

I didn't mean it that way. Though it does kinda read like that. Hmmm. Ah well. :pac:

I usually buy a Pin-Badge of the local team(s) when I visit a city.

I didn't mean it that way. Though it does kinda read like that. Hmmm. Ah well. :pac:

Ah i knew that, was only slaggin :D

Sad ba*tards imo.

Football tops are for

a. playing football in
    b. going to football in

NOTHING else.

They are NOT fashion items.

Even worse are people in jersies from some weird team in the Bundesliga or Argentinian Division "oh look at me, I know so much about football". Idiots.
    I usually buy a Pin-Badge of the local team(s) when I visit a city.

Lol so people who wear football jerseys when not playing football or at a match are ''sad ba*tards'' but you prefer to go from city to city collecting ''pin-badges'' oh seriously you crack me up i really think you've watched too much LOI and its fu*ked with your head :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

A lot of really narrow minded, snobbish, conceited, replies in this thread.

People who wear jerseys are all scum bags, not proper football fans, childish, fat, etc...

Get a life.

I'd only wear mine around the house.

So if you had to go to the shop for a pint of milk, do you get changed incase, oh my God, somebody saw me in a jersey!!!!!

I have worn jerseys since I was a kid.
    I wear them to show my support.
    To help finance the team.
    As a nice display of how proud I am.

If anything, somebody who only wears a jersey at a game, or in home, would seem almost ashamed to me.

I wouldn't make assumptions like that of course.
    Unlike some here do in reverse.

I don't care how somebody dresses.
    If somebody has a big beer belly, they're gonna look bit silly no matter what they wear.
    Scumbags wear tackies (trainers for those not in Limerick or South Africa) too.
    Does that mean I have to wear dress shoes the whole time, incase somebody thinks that i'm a scumbag?
    No.

I wear my jerseys, cause I'm very proud of being a fan.
    I've worn some of my jerseys to Liverpool games in England, France, Scotland, etc... or to other countries when not at a game.
    One of my better friends is a guy I meet on holiday in Holland.
    We started talking as I saw him wearing the jersey, and evven though he lives in Amsterdam, we're still friends 5 years later.
    I'd never have met the guy if he wasn't wearing the jersey.

Everyone of my jackets has a different "Justice" badge on it.
    I wear them to try and raise awareness.
    My current Liverpoool jersey has the name YNWA and the number 96 on the back to commemorate the 20th anniversary of Hillsborrough this year.
    I've met a lot of Liverpool fans, who didn't know the history, as they were too young at the time, who've asked me about it, and now are more aware of the tradgedy, and circumstances.
    I has wearing it over in Anfield, handing out leaflets for the Hope For Hillsborrough campaign.

Liverpool FC is an important part of my social life, so I wouldn't hide from it.
    The same for Munster.

Anyone who makes an oppinion on somebody, based on them wearing a jersy, should look at themselves in the mirror.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Anyone who makes an opinion on somebody, based on them wearing a jersy, should look at themselves in the mirror.

I did on your advice, saw I was wearing a Millwall shirt, so now I'm off to crack some heads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I pretty much always wear a football shirt under my top.

I think they're just way more comfortable than other t-shirts, especially the airy ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Same here. I love collecting jerseys.

My favourite one is a Sparta Rotterdam 120th anniversary shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I wear them now and again, going to the shops - maybe my Bohs jerseys, or my blue Brazil one.

Along with my Bohs jerseys - I have a sunderland one (I know Des I know but I like to see them do well), good few United ones, Barca, Ireland, Polish white Euro 08 one, old Brazil away and a ancient Celtic one (which I never wear now - gone off them a fair bit tbh).

I'd feel a tad conscious wearing my United jerseys, especially when a game isnt on and you're in the heart of Dublin. But I'm not one to stereotype, unless they've tracksuit bottoms stuck inside their socks, white pumps, baseball hat, gold chains and those jackets that look like somebody scribbled all over them.
    Frisbee wrote: »
    West Ham, Everton, Pompey, Sunderland and Fulham.

in no specific order

Ah man, Man Utd, Derby and Wigan are savage!

I always have this urge to chat to anyone I see out and about in a LoI jersey.

If it's Rovers I usually want to dig the head off them :p

What have Sligo ever done to you? :D
    this thread is bad enough without having a 'real fan' v 'prawn sandwich' debate in it.

Just meant that the united shirt is more likely to have negative associations with fair weather fans than a lesser supported team. It wasn't a dig at United fans. Trilla made the point more tactfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Would only wear my Cork City jersey to a match or around the house.

Would never wear it outside though.

The sight of a grown man wearing a soccer jersey is pretty sad. Up to the age of 21 is passable.

Also nothing says I'm working class loser more than a grown man in Celtic gear!

Never really thought about this. Now that I have I must come accross as a right snob.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Also nothing says I'm working class loser more than a grown man in Celtic gear!

Never really thought about this. Now that I have I must come accross as a right snob.:o

After that first sentence you are corrrect, that is how you come across

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Stand by that 80% of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I wear my Waterford GAA jerseys out a lot more than compared to my Man United tops. It's not because it looks nicer, or cheaper, or more Oirish looking. I'm just proud to wear it when I get the chance, particularly in foreign countries or other counties.

I wouldn't be able to count the amount of times I've struck up interesting conversations with fellow GAA fellowers when I come across them. There's just something about hearing Up The Deise from a random stranger in a country the other side of the world that makes me smile :) It would be the same for Des if he saw a Shels jersey in some random ass country.

If it means that in exchange I go down in estimation from a small minority who are too simple-minded to judge people by the jersey on their back, then it's an extremely small price to pay.

• Advertisement

The single most embarrassing thing about this thread is the word "footie" being used in the title tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

I'm not a snob or anything, I'd just feel insecure in this completely close minded and judgemental society wearing a jersey when participating in a non-football related activity in public.

That's the truth, really.

I wouldn't think negatively of anyone for wearing a jersey personally, ever. Would I think other people would think in such a way of me? Yes.

There's nothing sad about wearing a football jersey even at 60 years of age. It doesn't measure your success in life. It shows support, character and a statement about your personality. This is the problem, though.

The fact is, clothes are clothes. If you guys wear jerseys, then fair fúcks to you - at least you feel confident enough to do so.

And I'd like to say regarding Des, in response to his first post - fair enough, but something tells me he wouldn't feel like this about someone in real life. Internet is just full of our psychological theory really, not all of it applies in real life scenarios. Bit over the top though if that's how you really feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Beau x1 wrote: »
    I'm not a snob or anything, I'd just feel insecure in this completely close minded and judgemental society wearing a jersey when participating in a non-football related activity in public.

That's the truth, really.
    Fair enough tbh.

Personally I see them all the time and don't give it a second thought, so I never considered that there are people walking down the street thinking "wow what a sad b*stard" or "wow that fella's poor" or "there goes a scumbag yonder".

Alas, my eyes have been opened to a whole new world, a wave of insecurity is rushing over me :(

Dave! wrote: »
    Alas, my eyes have been opened to a whole new world, a wave of insecurity is rushing over me :(

+1
    Will wear my Arsenal jersey into college tomo and see how many funny looks I get.
    Never noticed any before but I'll pay attention for them now...

If someone spits on you and then runs away... it was not me ¬_¬

If someone spits on you and then runs away... it was not me ¬_¬

I'll just spit on your United jersey then :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Tbh though guys (and I hate to turn this into a fashion discussion, but that's what it really is anyway) - you can feel insecure about wearing anything nowadays so you may as well just stick to what you personally feel comfortable in.

Wear Abercrombie, Hollister, American Eagle - and you're going to wonder what people think about you for trying to be like everyone else.

Wear clothing from Dunnes and you're going to wonder if everyone thinks you're too poor to afford anything else.

Wear clothing from underground labels, e.g. fullbleed and you're going to wonder if everyone thinks you're an attention seeking 'emo'.

Wear plain clothing and you're going to wonder if everyone thinks you're too boring to wear anything adventourous.

So really, just wear whatever the fcuk you like. It's your personality, don't force yourself to be something else because of what close minded people may think. If you focus your lives on trying to please these people it's actually counterproductive as you'll miss out on the genuine people you really share a common ground with (for example, the friend your man has gotten to know from Amsterdam for 5 years).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Beau x1 wrote: »
    Tbh though guys (and I hate to turn this into a fashion discussion, but that's what it really is anyway) - you can feel insecure about wearing anything nowadays so you may as well just stick to what you personally feel comfortable in.

Wear Abercrombie, Hollister, American Eagle - and you're going to wonder what people think about you for trying to be like everyone else.

Wear clothing from Dunnes and you're going to wonder if everyone thinks you're too poor to afford anything else.

Wear clothing from underground labels, e.g. fullbleed and you're going to wonder if everyone thinks you're an attention seeking 'emo'.

Wear plain clothing and you're going to wonder if everyone thinks you're too boring to wear anything adventourous.

So really, just wear whatever the fcuk you like. It's your personality, don't force yourself to be something else because of what close minded people may think. If you focus your lives on trying to please these people it's actually counterproductive as you'll miss out on the genuine people you really share a common ground with (for example, the friend your man has gotten to know from Amsterdam for 5 years).

word

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I actually love chosing what jerseys to wear. Apart from my City ones I tend to get shirts of players I like with their names etc, e.g. Xavi, Zidane, Quaresma etc. Also get them from places I've been.

Must have about 50 or 60 at this stage.

Sad b*stard

Sad b*stard

And the circle is complete. He has become what he once hated ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement