Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Manchester Derby - City vs United Match Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Mr Alan wrote: »
    why do Utd fans hack my account when my back is turned?!?!?!

those pesky mancs

lol - ah at least your a good sport MrAlan I give ya that!

Thats the final of the four big away games out of the way now for United - get a few players back and keep Tevez somewhat happy and they're in with a good shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Was just having a look at the laws, so to expand on someone else's previous post:
    Handling the ball
    Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact
    with the ball with his hand or arm. The referee must take the following
    into consideration:

• the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards
    the hand)
    • the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected
    ball)
    • the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is
    an infringement
    • touching the ball with an object held in the hand (clothing,
    shinguard etc.) counts as an infringement
    • hitting the ball with a thrown object (boot, shinguard etc.) counts
    as an infringement

Disciplinary sanctions
    There are circumstances when a caution for unsporting behaviour
    is required when a player deliberately handles the ball, e.g. when a
    player:
    • deliberately and blatantly handles the ball to prevent an opponent
    gaining possession
    • attempts to score a goal by deliberately handling the ball

A player is sent off, however, if he prevents a goal or an obvious goalscoring
    opportunity by deliberately handling the ball. This punishment
    arises not from the act of the player deliberately handling the ball but
    from the unacceptable and unfair intervention that prevented a goal
    being scored.

Restart of play

• Direct free kick from the position where the offence occurred
    (see Law 13 – Position of Free Kick) or penalty kick
    Outside his own penalty area, the goalkeeper has the same restrictions
    on handling the ball as does any other player. Inside his own penalty
    area, the goalkeeper cannot be guilty of a handling offence incurring a
    direct free kick or any misconduct related to handling the ball. He can,
    however, be guilty of several handling offences that incur an indirect
    free kick.

I would have assumed the punishment was always a yellow card, so if someone finds something to that effect then post away... Failing that, looks like the ref got it wrong?

Carrick was MOTM today i reckon by the way, did he officially get it?

Dunno who got it, probably Rooney.

But I agree, Carrick was immense. His defence is so much based on intercepting that people don't rate him as a defensive midfielder but that's only because they don't see it. You really need to see him live to appreciate how clever he is at reading the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'm hearing Evra was MOTM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

LOL At people who watch SSN, and believe it portrays accurately what the majority of fans believe.

They make a living out of shining a camera on the mongs who will say anything to get on T.V.
    If this evening was anything to go by +1. One aul lad was locked :D
    Trilla wrote: »
    as they will be in January when they think they're gonna sign Kaka, Messi and build a timemachine to bring back Maradona, Cruijff and Shaun Goater
    Best post ever LOL :D Feed the goat :pac:
    RasTa wrote: »
    I'm hearing Evra was MOTM.
    Carrick got it on Sky Sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Dave! wrote: »
    Was just having a look at the laws, so to expand on someone else's previous post:

I would have assumed the punishment was always a yellow card, so if someone finds something to that effect then post away... Failing that, looks like the ref got it wrong?

He should have been sent off before the hand ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

OPENROAD wrote: »

Im not a statician(sp?) and wont claim to have kept count but how many fouls did Ronaldo commit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Im not a statician(sp?) and wont claim to have kept count but how many fouls did Ronaldo commit?

One foul...followed by sarcastically applauding the ref for giving harsh yellow.

Meanwhile, Elano gives Berbatov a full force whack across the back of the leg. Berbatov brushes it off and the ref ignores it....no consistency whatsover, that's the frustrating thing really.

Edit: Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure after Ronaldos sending off play resumed with a retaken Utd corner? I'd have to see it again but I'm almost positive. If that was indeed the case explain it to me, other than it highlights further how incompetent the officials were today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

"A caution or dismissal is not normally required."

Although the first yellow was unwarranted he was lucky he wasn't sent off for clapping the ref when he was booked (2nd yellow)

and I really think this lead to his dismissal.

he deserved the 2nd yellow, but not the first.

Overall a good result for UTD, dominated the 1st half, better team in 2nd, city with one man advantage didn't create many chances.

Great game by the Utd midfield (Park, Carraick & Fletcher)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

If you see a replay of the first yellow look at howard webb's expression when Ronaldo sarcastically applauds. At that moment he was gone. Plus, the yellow was for the second lunge by Ronaldo. At least SWP got a bit of protection 'cos he was hacked all over the shop today.

As for the second yellow, nice save. Does that mean he is now the world's
    1st, 2nd and 3rd best goalkeeper too?

Plus points? Hopefully Hughes will realise Hamann and Vassell aren't up to it now.

We have to accept we were beaten by the better team on the day lads

PSG on Wed. I'll be there. Back on track for Citeh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Handball schmanball, first yellow was harsh he got the ball. Webb is a bit of a tool at the best of times.

Overall great result, should have put 3 or 4 past them the scoreline totally flatters an average team that had two chances in the entire game.

Carrick and Fletch were top notch today oh and does anyone know if Raf (18) took Robhinho out of his pocket before getting back on the bus home? Hate for him to end up lost and wandering not knowing where he was going... again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Yeah - he gave Robinho his shirt so Robinho would have a memento of the day he came up against the best right back in the world.

I thought Raf had a good game, but it was aided by the fact the City forwards were starved of possesion in good areas for much of th egame by a good United performance, so he was not put under too much pressure for the most part. He also had Park protecting him which was obviously a help.

He certainly had a better Derby Day debut than Evra!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Yeah - he gave Robinho his shirt so Robinho would have a memento of the day he came up against the best right back in the world.
    He certainly had a better Derby Day debut than Evra!
    Makes signing Brown up for another 4 years on 60k a week look like a bit of a waste now in these recessionary times ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

since when did United buy Backary Sagna?

;)

since when did United buy Backary Sagna?

;)
    They're close - but Raf has better hair, that puts him over....

I did think Robinho trying to get him sent off was a disgrace though - not seen much mention of it, hardly surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

They're close - but Raf has better hair, that puts him over....

I did think Robinho trying to get him sent off was a disgrace though - not seen much mention of it, hardly surprising.

Lol why is it hardly surprising? Players do that all the time. If anything it just completely left egg on Robby's face cause he ballsed it up. A nothing incident.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    A nothing incident.

Only because Robinho missed him. Had he hit him both Robinho and the Citeh fans would have been screaming for a second yellow and with the smashing form Webb was in yesterday he'd probably have given it. Disgraceful.

Does Robinho know that 1) you have to ask for 10 yards and 2) that a guy can't get out of the way of the ball if you take the free 0.52698 seconds after getting it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I wouldn't get carried away with Rafaels performance yesterday. He got a lot of protection and help from Park which has seemed to gone unnoticed. He played well alright, but Robinho nearly caught him out when he was played through (when he slid in on VDS). If Robinho had made contact with the ball I wonder if people would be talking as highly of Rafa.

Secondly you can understand Ronaldos reaction to his booking. From his point of view he spends every game getting fouled and sees little action taken. Then he commits prob his only tackle of the season and gets booked for it. I am not trying to justify the sarcastic clap, and he could have gone right there and then but you can understand how he felt. After the clap though Webb probably had it in his head that if he does one more thing he is gone. The handball was that one thing.

As for City well the look promising to me and Hughes is a good manager. If he is given time I think he will build a very good team there. Remember the new owners only came in on the last day of the transfer window, and Hughes had spent most of the summer fighting speculation about the club. I think the Jan transfer window could be interesting but it won't be till next season when we will see what Hughes can do at the club.

Only because Robinho missed him. Had he hit him both Robinho and the Citeh fans would have been screaming for a second yellow and with the smashing form Webb was in yesterday he'd probably have given it. Disgraceful.

If my aunty had balls etc.

As I said, it was really a nothing incident and certainly not worth getting worked up over.
    Does Robinho know that 1) you have to ask for 10 yards and 2) that a guy can't get out of the way of the ball if you take the free 0.52698 seconds after getting it?

You'd have to ask him that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

OPENROAD wrote: »

How exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

for clapping the ref.

Oh my, nice to see the majority of Utd fans staying level headed about the young fella :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

for clapping the ref.

Oh my, nice to see Utd fans staying level headed about the young fella :rolleyes:

Hey I was! Don't throw us all in together!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

ok, i'll rephrase, add in "the majority" there ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Souness had it spot on last night...Ronaldo was going to get it full force in the face. With the World Player awards on this week, he didn't want to mess up the looks. There was no push, and I doubt he heard a whistle (even if he did, test the keeper ffs).

Ronaldo didn't seem to care one bit yesterday. He should have been sent off for the clapping. The brat. And you have Tevez sitting on the bench who would die for the team. Literally. I'm not saying Tevez should replace Ronaldo btw.

Carrick, Park and Fletcher were outstanding. Carrick dominated midfield...I think he played two poor balls all match.

If my aunty had balls etc.

If your aunty tried to have balls sown on but made a "balls" (pun intended) of the surgery then she's still be your aunty yes, but she tried to become your uncle. Same with Robinho, if he had a better aim, Rafael may well have been sent off. Intent. Same as a 2 footed lunge that doesn't cause serious injury, there's still intent, and it's not right.

Tbh he was lucky not to go for the clapping of the ref but that doesn't excuse the ridiculous booking in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

ok, i'll rephrase, add in "the majority" there ;)

Alright Alan put your erection away, Ronaldo fúckéd up don't become overly moist.

Massive 3 points for United, ending a horrible November.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Smegball wrote: »
    Rafael is just pure quality :) First choice right back for me, IMO he will be in top 5 right backs in Europe in a few seasons time.

And, the best thing is, because of the advances in cloning recently, they were able to take a sample of Rafaels curly locks and creat a clone. According to the Sun, they reversed his genes, so he will play on the left. Apparently, he's been give number 20 and the name Fabio. Because he's fabulous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

for clapping the ref.

Oh my, nice to see the majority of Utd fans staying level headed about the young fella :rolleyes:

Also may have contributed to the ref's decision to go by the book re: the handball. Harsh, but can't complain about the decision as he could have walked after the first yellow.

Great result, and very satisfying. Giggs should have tried the long shot before Rooney did; would have been the icing on the cake.

for clapping the ref.

The fact he shouldn't have been booked for that makes your argument irrelevant

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    Also may have contributed to the ref's decision to go by the book re: the handball. Harsh, but can't complain about the decision as he could have walked after the first yellow.

Great result, and very satisfying. Giggs should have tried the long shot before Rooney did; would have been the icing on the cake.

Giggs wouldn't have reached the goal with his shot so had to pass. Giggs has been a great player but one thing he never had was any kind of strength.

If he had hit it when basically running alongside Hart and SWP it could have pea-rolled in. Anyway, if he wanted to pass, he should have passed sooner. By the time he did pass, Rooney had to control it and cut back - i reckon Hart managed to run around 20 yards closer to the goal in that time.

Here's the lob -

It really was a great save considering his momentum.

I honestly don't see what is so great about the save. Having got into the postion, if he had screwed it up and still let it in people would wonder what the hell he was doing.

Ah come on give the lad credit. He sprinted three quarters of the length of the pitch (catching SWP btw as he did it) and kept the ball out. Try sprinting at full pace towards a goal with a ball dropping out of the sky over your shoulder. Not an easy thing to do at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Only one United fan saying that Park played well.

He was fúcking immense.

As was Evra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,350 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

It was a great recovery and save

I see McLeish on MotD2 extolled the virtues of Park in yesterdays game. Real tigerish performance

Des wrote: »
    Only one United fan saying that Park played well.

He was fúcking immense.

As was Evra.

I think he benefitted a lot from Vassell being so crap. That allowed Evra to play as an auxillary winger with heaps of space. When SWP went wide in the second half he wasn't so good and thought he struggled then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

SWP got the better of him a couple of times, max.

After Evra was booked, he was never in trouble again, imo.

Great save, you have to evenly credit Rooney for hitting the target from the halfway line!!

Park worked his socks off as he always does and that's why we should never ever sell him. Big game player. As is Fletcher. Evra was fan-feckin tastic yesterday. He offers so much going forward too, it' scary!

Ah come on give the lad credit. He sprinted three quarters of the length of the pitch (catching SWP btw as he did it) and kept the ball out. Try sprinting at full pace towards a goal with a ball dropping out of the sky over your shoulder. Not an easy thing to do at all.

Yeah - it was good; don't see what is GREAT about it. So he sprinted.... not exactly much skill involved there. Once he had got into position, it was a fairly easy save to make, and as the ball was going towards the centre of the goal, he didn't need to adjust the direction of the run either.

• Advertisement

Yeah - it was good; don't see what is GREAT about it. So he sprinted.... not exactly much skill involved there. Once he had got into position, it was a fairly easy save to make, and as the ball was going towards the centre of the goal, he didn't need to adjust the direction of the run either.

One word - momentum. Very difficult to get the timing spot on when he was sprinting.

He was sprinting - he didn't adjust his run, kept going full speed - what timing are you talking about?

The ball was dropping over his shoulder as he was running towards his own goal. He needed to change the direction of the ball so that it went around the post. He had to do that from inside the 6 yard box and didn't have much of an angle to play with to get it around the post. The timing was crucial so that it didn't a) hit the post and bounce out to someone (if there was anyone there), or b) go stright into the net.

A frction of a second later and he would have palmed it into the net, hence the good timing.

So he jumped at the right time to get a hand to the ball.... wow, i wish all keepers at that super ability. Had he jumped sooner or later, he would have missed the ball. His timing was spot on, but that is what i expect of a keeper. It is like when people say a keeper is a good shot stopper.... WHAT ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO BE? Having got back into position, it is a save i would expect any top flight keeper to make. If he had palmed it into the goal i would have said he did poorly.

Fair enough but I honestly can't believe you don't think it was a great save. Maybe if it happened at the other end it would be a different story but whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Great save, you have to evenly credit Rooney for hitting the target from the halfway line!!

It was indeed a great save but not as good as the one Ronaldo made in the
    1st half when somebody in the crowd (or poss. ballboy) hurled the ball at him!

brayblue24 wrote: »

Epic_Failure.ashx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Here's the lob -

It really was a great save considering his momentum.

I also thought he did pretty well to save it considering the momentum of the shot and the speed he was running back at, myself. It must be very hard to judge. Look at SWP for proof, he would never have cleared it alone, he would have been way behind the line if he had got to the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

brayblue24 wrote: »

Yeah, what a stop!!

So this is why SWP was hobbling in the first half.....

vpavqu.jpg

Lucky to get away with only a sore knee.

• Advertisement
Advertisement