Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Manchester Derby - City vs United Match Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The fact that City have to play tonight is somewhat significant.

It's very much a weakened side going out tonight though. Robinho, Elano and Zabaleta have been left in Manchester for various reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Berbs could be fit...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/7747653.stm

I don't think he'll play either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Des wrote: »
    He'll be the best player in the world in two or three years.

Anderson? If I could wager a vast sum of money to the contrary right now I would.
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    And looks like he couldnt score in a gay bar with his cacks down and a €50 note between his arse cheeks.

Strangely enough, you would probably fail to score in a Gay Bar if you did that. :)

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's very much a weakened side going out tonight though. Robinho, Elano and Zabaleta have been left in Manchester for various reasons.

Ah yeah, but there will probably be at least five or six players on both teamsheets. You have to take into account post game travel back to City, recovery, etc.

Hypothetically, if both teams were exactly 50 / 50 in how they matched up in terms of talent and current form, then tonight's game would make United the better bet for Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Strangely enough, you would probably fail to score in a Gay Bar if you did that. :)

You sound like a man who is speaking from experience... Lost a prop bet Lloyd?

:D

roryc wrote: »
    You sound like a man who is speaking from experience... Lost a prop bet Lloyd?

:D

lol, quick on the draw Rory I must say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

city win 3-0. i didnt think wed get a point this month but so far were unbeaten so logic says well stuff them. i think its 1922 the last time we beat united 3 times in a row. C'MON CITEH

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

He'll be the best player in the world in two or three years.

Now that is a bold statement. Fair play.

I really rate Anderson myself (not as much as Des though!). I'm not sure if he is going to develop into a holding cm or an attacking cm. I hope for the former as quality in that position seems to be harder to come by. Sure maybe he'll become a true box to box type, although he hasn't shown the fitness for that yet.

As for the match:
    I hope United line up

VDS
    O'Shea-Ferdinand-Vidic-Evra
    Ronaldo-Carrick-Anderson-Park
    Rooney-Berbatov

I think Rafael is too dodgy defending and JOS has to start (even though he is actually muck, it's all we got). I think Fergie thinks this too and that's why he has given John a run lately.

I hope for Anderson and Carrick in the centre. I really hope Ferguson doesn't stick in Giggs because it's a big game or some such.

Berbatov to start if he's fit enough. Tevez if not.

Maybe Nani would be useful, at some point, if City are so bad at defending set pieces.

I can really see United turning up for this. I'll go for us to win by a goal - feel the red tint:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Pro. F wrote: »
    I think Rafael is too dodgy defending and JOS has to start (even though he is actually muck, it's all we got). I think Fergie thinks this too and that's why he has given John a run lately.

Very unfair on Johno, not many other players could start at 3 different defensive positions, lb, cb, rb and get away with it.

He sometimes might look like he has advanced Parkinsons when on the ball but you got to admire is versatility and have a go attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Boggles wrote: »
    He sometimes might look like he has advanced Parkinsons when on the ball
    lol!

You are right though about his versatility and attitude. I'm very happy to have him in the squad. He is capable of getting into some decent form sometimes. But when defending for Man U he always looks dodgy - sometimes he gets away with it, sometimes not. I think Fergie believes that he is the best RB option at the moment and I tend to agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I think Fergie is going to be looking at Robinho as the major threats on Sunday. Because of our current problems at right back I think Park will be on the right wing, if Robinho decides to switch then we have Evra to look after him on the left or Park will switch over.

Either way starting line will be.

VDS
    -O'Shea---Rio---Vidic----Evra
    -Park-Fletcher-Carrick-Ronaldo
    Rooney

Berb

IMO Fletchers form this season has been much better than Andersons and he will start. Anderson has been poor this season. Think a decision needs to be made on what kind of midfielder they want him to be. He seems to be asked to perform a different role every time he goes onto the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I would think that SWP will be a major handful also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Dave! wrote: »
    I would think that SWP will be a major handful also.

Literally, he is quite the midget.

Confidence will be sky high after that win tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

city are the form team - Utd ro win :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Confidence will be sky high after that win tonight.
    Sunderland 0 Man City 3- Confidence: Sky high.
    Next Game Man City 1 Chelsea 3 Confidence: Lower than a snakes bollocks

Man City 6 Portsmouth 0 Confidence: Sky High
    Next Game: Dumped out of league cup by Brighton, followed by a 2-1 league defeat by Wigan. Confidence: Lower than a snakes bollocks.

Man City 3 Stoke 0: Confidence: Sky High
    Next Game: Boro 2 Man City 0 Confidence: Lower than a snakes bollocks.

Man City 3 FC Twente 2 Confidence: Sky High
    Next Game: Man City 1 Spurs 2 Confidence: Lower than a snakes bollox

Pighead sees a pattern developing thus far in Man City's season.

Pighead wrote: »
    Sunderland 0 Man City 3- Confidence: Sky high.
    Next Game Man City 1 Chelsea 3 Confidence: Lower than a snakes bollocks

Man City 6 Portsmouth 0 Confidence: Sky High
    Next Game: Dumped out of league cup by Brighton, followed by a 2-1 league defeat by Wigan. Confidence: Lower than a snakes bollocks.

Man City 3 Stoke 0: Confidence: Sky High
    Next Game: Boro 2 Man City 0 Confidence: Lower than a snakes bollocks.

Man City 3 FC Twente 2 Confidence: Sky High
    Next Game: Man City 1 Spurs 2 Confidence: Lower than a snakes bollox

Pighead sees a pattern developing thus far in Man City's season.

Man City 3 Arsenal 0 Confidence: Sky High
    Next game: Schalke 0 Man City 2 Confidence: Sky High

Only as good as your last game, or in this case, two games. I did notice though that you conveniently left those two games out of your analysis. Probably because they spoil your pattern.

Man City 3 Arsenal 0 Confidence: Sky High
    Next game: Schalke 0 Man City 2 Confidence: Sky High

Only as good as your last game, or in this case, two games. I did notice though that you conveniently left those two games out of your analysis. Probably because they spoil your pattern.
    You just had to go and spoil the pretty pattern didn't ya Xavi!

It's strange though how they've regularly followed up a good performance with a bad one.

Pighead wrote: »
    You just had to go and spoil the pretty pattern didn't ya Xavi!

:)
    It's strange though how they've regularly followed up a good performance with a bad one.

It's really not that strange at all for a City fan. All the fans said two weeks ago that typical City would struggle against Hull but go and beat Arsenal and United. That's just the way we roll.

:)

It's really not that strange at all for a City fan. All the fans said two weeks ago that typical City would struggle against Hull but go and beat Arsenal and United. That's just the way we roll.
    1 a 2 a 1 2 3 4

Na na na na na ( x4)
    Hey City
    You really got my tail in a spin
    Hey City
    You lose, you win, you lose then you win
    But City I got one thing I want you to know
    Wherever you go tell me cause Im gonna go

We found love, so dont fight it
    Man City's a rollercoaster just gotta ride it
    I love Hughes, and then I hate him
    Our team is a mystery girl, yet we're still behind it

Dont fight it, fight it, fight it
    Na na na na na
    Na na na na na
    Na na na na na
    Na na na na na
    Na na na na na
    Na na na na na
    Our team is a mystery girl lets get behind them (*to fade*)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

My United Team:
    VDS
    O'Shea Vidic Rio Evra
    Park Fletcher Carrick Ronaldo
    Rooney Tevez

**** Berba for this one, we need passion.
    this one could be goals galore.

I think the main danger man will be Ireland, with all the attention on Robinho, and i reckon fletcher will play to sort him out.

Could be one of the better games of the season, with two excellent strike forces coming up against too mistake prone defenses(Uniteds this season anyway),
    I'll go for 3-3.

Please don't compare Man Utd defence to Citys.

Man Utd have the third best defence in the league with 10 goals conceded, after having the toughest fixtures.

City have conceded 22 with only four clubs conceding more.

Please don't compare Man Utd defence to Citys.

Man Utd have the third best defence in the league with 10 goals conceded, after having the toughest fixtures.

City have conceded 22 with only four clubs conceding more.

Im not comparing, Citehs defense is always mistake prone, and im saying uniteds has been too(all be it in the big matches this season).

We have been getting enough lucky breaks recently(Agbonlahor vs. Vidic) and our defensive performance against Liverpool was appalling, likewise for Kalous equaliser, and of course for the Arsenal match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'll eat my own testicles if he is the best player in the world within the next three years.

He has been downright poor since last Christmas.

And looks like he couldnt score in a gay bar with his cacks down and a €50 note between his arse cheeks.

That's a really really really odd metapor you used. It's as if you didn't just think it up :)

But you're right to an extent, he's been poor this year so far, and towards the end of last season he wasn't playing as well. He needs to step it up.

---

I think we're playing very bad football currently. I know we've been getting results, but overall our game has been poor. Berbatov would make a huge difference. Carrick and Fletcher should be in the middle. If Giggs plays, I think we'll lose.

I think if we see

--Ronaldo--Carrick--Fletcher--Nani--
    Rooney---Berbatov

we'll win.

I want to see Brown right back, because he'll put in a tackle the way it should be done in a derby. Having only one local lad will be sad, but it happens.

p.s. I think Ireland will have a great chance to dominate this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I reckon Park will play, for his defensive workrate.

As for Brown, he's injured til new year isn't he?

Reckon it will be O'Shea at RB, don't think Fergie will go with Raf for an away derby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

oh my. are you people for real about the other night. he was poooor. and an unfit Senna looked on a different planet to him. Anderson was playing in a much more advanced role than Senna, Senna had him for breakfast. Anderson is the playmaker, senna is a holding midfielder.

do you actually watch every united game? strange behaviour for a "liverpool" fan when he has other options to seem to always watch united games

You are so wrong Alan, it's actually on a different planet.

correct

now onto my own point, the derby can go either way but united cannot afford to drop points, simple as, and form really does go out the window in these games so who knows

it has to be O Shea at right back unfortunatly, my gung ho side says let raf have a go and see if he can cope but i feel he isnt the best defensively right now, of course neither is o shea but thats another story

what saddens me most about this thread is the united fans posting who they would play to nullify robinho or SWP or Ireland.......remember the days when it was the opposition who had to change their personnel and style to try nullify our players?

we used to impose our style of play on teams and they would have to adapt to try handle it, now it seems we try to do something similar to liverpool and set up thinking about the other team before thinking about our own attacking threat

very sad to me

i think we should line up like this

VDS
    JOSH----RIO
    VIDA
    EVRA
    Fletch
    Carrick
    Park
    Rooney
    Ronaldo
    Berbatov

if Berb isnt fit play Tevez, stick Ronny up through the middle, Tevez behind him and rooney towards the wing

This type of game is built for the passionate players like Fletch and Ando but on this seasons overall form i have to give the start to Fletcher, and i would hope the gaffer saw how much he was missed against le arse Carrick is needed to thread balls through so it leaves Anderson on the bench

Nani can be brought on at some stage to run at the defence when it gets tired, Anderson will make an appearance and shock the world with a goal from the edge of the box hopefully!

i think if we line up like that we win

we just have to make sure we control the midfield, if city dont get time on the ball they cant play....simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

it's sad but true. His long range shooting is fuckin woegeous.

So that's how you spell woegeous...
    Come on Citeh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

kryogen wrote: »
    do you actually watch every united game? strange behaviour for a "liverpool" fan when he has other options to seem to always watch united games

Most of them, yes. My brother supports Utd, as does my father.

If i didnt watch em, i wouldnt comment on them

kryogen wrote: »

what saddens me most about this thread is the united fans posting who they would play to nullify robinho or SWP or Ireland.......remember the days when it was the opposition who had to change their personnel and style to try nullify our players?

we used to impose our style of play on teams and they would have to adapt to try handle it, now it seems we try to do something similar to liverpool and set up thinking about the other team before thinking about our own attacking threat

very sad to me

Never heard so much drivel to be honest,
    This is a discussion thread, enabling us to discuss different points of view on who should mark who, on who should play where etc. Your saying back when Henry was at his Prime we never attempted to nullify his threat or lampard,drogba,fabregas,adebayor??
    You are obviously a very emotional man if this "saddens you".

So the opposition doesnt change its personnel to nullify ronaldo,rooney,tevez,evra etc etc anymore???????
    Oh and im pretty sure the most talked about topic in the United Thread this year has been about the strike force and not the "nullifying" force.

Any1 got a box of tissues for Kyrogen? He's Very sad
    :(

Tevez or Berbatov lads? Have to say Berbatov, we have looked much less dangerous going forward without him this season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

i think berbatov is injured. hell just have to watch ireland and robihno run the game from the bench C,MON CITEH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Is Robinho faster than Ferdinand? I think Ferdinand is the best defender in the league to come up against him. Ferdinand is more a of continental defender and tends to deal better with those types of players, e.g. Torres who he had for breakfast last season.
    That said, him coming up against an out of form Brown or Neville would be pretty worrying.

PHB wrote: »
    Is Robinho faster than Ferdinand? I think Ferdinand is the best defender in the league to come up against him. Ferdinand is more a of continental defender and tends to deal better with those types of players, e.g. Torres who he had for breakfast last season.
    That said, him coming up against an out of form Brown or Neville would be pretty worrying.

Especially as Brown is injured. Who ever plays right back, Park will be there to help them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭BlueBandit

Usually up for derby games but have bad feeling about this one, probablydue to last year. Big game for the reds though so hopefully theyll put on a show. Didnt exactly over exert themselves in spain mid week so hopefully the usual post euro away hangover wont be present. Early kick off though isnt it, and I never feel good about them. Anyway, guess at the line up see if I cant break my 100% failure record for the season

VDS

O'Shea Vidic Ferdinand Evra

Ronaldo Carrick Fletcher Park

Berbatov Rooney

Honestly think city will win but have to keep the fait so will stab at a 2 nil win for the reds. Should be a good game either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Smegball wrote: »
    To be fair, O Shea will be dominated by Robinho aswell, I wouldn't trust O Shea in any games of this magnitude.

Indeed. I think they should start Rafael anyway. Either that or have Evra or Anderson man mark him.
    JOS would not be the type of player to contain Robinho.

They should also have Fletcher do a job on Ireland and his attacking runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭BlueBandit

There might be an argument for going with a three man midfield, andercon, carrick and flether. with those three they could dominate midield and reduce the opportunities for the likes of Ireland and Robinho. Similar tactic to most pf the euro aways/big games last year. Three across the middles and then three of Ronaldo, Ronney, Tevez and Berbatov attacking, with Anderson joining in and carrick and Fletcher feeding them the ball. I woory a bit about any of our 2 man centre midfield pairing being able to dominate the game, certainly in bigger matches

Loco wrote: »
    Indeed. I think they should start Rafael anyway. Either that or have Evra or Anderson man mark him.
    JOS would not be the type of player to contain Robinho.

They should also have Fletcher do a job on Ireland and his attacking runs.

Yeah, Rafael showed when he came on against Arsenal he isn't fazed in the big games, he was incredible, although we were all out attack at that stage but showed some glimpses of good defending when needed, I would love for him to start but he won't, JOS will unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Smegball wrote: »
    Yeah, Rafael showed when he came on against Arsenal he isn't fazed in the big games, he was incredible, although we were all out attack at that stage but showed some glimpses of good defending when needed, I would love for him to start but he won't, JOS will unfortunately.

And people are overly critical of his positioning.
    We have seen him play for Man Utd only a few times, and he has shown he can make decent tackles.

He did show some good glimpses in the Arsenal, but he was clearly instructed to get forward to undo the damage caused by Gary Neville.

I think he deserves to play. I wouldnt leave O'Shea out either. He has been doing ok too. I would have him in midfield rather than Park.

VDS
    Rafael Rio Vidic Evra
    Carrick O'Shea(or Fletcher)
    Ronaldo Fletcher(or Anderson) Rooney
    Berbatov

A decent setup against Man City anyway

Loco wrote: »
    And people are overly critical of his positioning.
    We have seen him play for Man Utd only a few times, and he has shown he can make decent tackles.

He did show some good glimpses in the Arsenal, but he was clearly instructed to get forward to undo the damage caused by Gary Neville.

I think he deserves to play. I wouldnt leave O'Shea out either. He has been doing ok too. I would have him in midfield rather than Park.

VDS
    Rafael Rio Vidic Evra
    Carrick O'Shea(or Fletcher)
    Ronaldo Fletcher(or Anderson) Rooney
    Berbatov

A decent setup against Man City anyway

O Shea in midfield :eek::eek: NO THANKS, he would be absolutely destroyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

derbies bring out the best in him...

If i were picking the team i'd go with:

VDS
    Brown----Rio
    Vida
    Paddy
    Anderson----Carrick---Fletcher----
    Roonaldevez

I think though that these are the kinds of games where Park si a good option. Fletch shouyld definitely play. It's a shame more local lads can't get a game but this one is about winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

is Brown not injured?

Hmmmm, if Brown is injued then I'm worried.

If Hargreaves were fit he'd be straight in. Raf COULD have a good game, he's got skillz to pay da billz n all that but I just don't think he's ready for a big derby game up against Robinho. he could just as easiily, and more likely, get destroyed. Problem is I think Neville will possibly get raped worse than Raf would. At least Raf has the pace. O'Shea I view as an utter liability so i wouldn't even consider it. Thing with JOS is that every once in a blue moon he comes out and plays really well. but you just can't rely on that happening for derby day. Neville can't be trusted on derby day. Between feeding the goat and loafin McManaman I just think he can't play in this game.

If Brown is out I'd probably have to stick Park in, possibly for Tevez (:() to protect young Rafael. But I'd play Rafael.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

is Brown not injured?

yap he's still injured but neville is in contention after coming back from injury

hopefully gary wont be near the squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've a bad feeling about this game. I can just see Stephen Ireland running the show. He was brilliant against United in the Munich tribute match. I'll predict a 2-2 result. I hope it's free-flowing football.

• Advertisement

derbies bring out the best in him...

Lol like misses from 2 yards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

There was talk of Ireland been the best midfielder in Europe atm on newstalk this morning un f*ckning beeeleeeevaaaablleeee

4 goals in his last 3 games is good form so on that basis he's up there at this moment.

I agree people are getting carried away though. He needs to keep it up til May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

4 goals in his last 3 games is good form so on that basis he's up there at this moment.

I agree people are getting carried away though. He needs to keep it up til May.

Oh, no, you didn't, did you? I think you did.

So out of the top 10 midfield players in the world he ranks where in your opinion?

this should be hilarious...

ntlbell wrote: »
    Oh, no, you didn't, did you? I think you did.

So out of the top 10 midfield players in the world he ranks where in your opinion?

this should be hilarious...

Did you even read the post? I said 4 goals in 3 games is the form of a top class midfielder. I never siad he was the best at anything or ranked in the top 10 of anything.

I said his FORM is world class. Could just be a purple spell and hence him needing to keep it up til May.

Jeez you really will try to sht stir anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement