Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Manchester Derby - City vs United Match Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The last 20 minutes or so were more comfortable for United than what they should've been. Nothing really changed after the sending off, and there was no real sustained pressure from City apart from when it was heading into injury time. While City were poor from that point of view, credit must be given to United for the way possession was kept. Every player looked cool on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

eZe^ wrote: »
    I guess I was expecting too much when I thought this would be a good spectacle between two evenly enough matched sides. Meh, Utd were by far the better team.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You just jinxed it. :(:D

imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

PHB wrote: »
    Jeff summed it up. You get booked if you were seeking to gain an advantage. Ronaldo was clearly not seeking to gain an advantage. That's that.

definitley he didn't even push the ball towards the goal, he's great with his head it just doesn't make any sense

but i'm annoyed with the first card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I hate Jamie Redknapp, he is a complete ****, he looks an absolute fool arguing with Ruud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Anyway,
    Man Utd were just flat out fantastic today. Best away performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Cruijff wrote: »
    I hate Jamie Redknapp, he is a complete ****, he looks an absolute fool arguing with Ruud.

He is a buffoon,painful listening to him spout his illogical tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

Redknapp is an utter twat i feel like ringing sky and telling them to cancel my contract i cant listen to his cockney BS anymore. How did he manage to get himself a job in sky ... maybe i shouldnt be surprised. does he ever shut up ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Congratulations lads. Very entertaining game. Loved the Hart thing at the end. Thought Dunne had scored. To say we were poor with the extra man is a bit unfair. Ten men behind the call is very difficult to break down. Overall disappointed but sure we weren't robbed or anything, just beaten by the better team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I think the other way..... Ruud Gullit talks absolute SH*TE.

edit: Actually they're as bad as each other. Both goons

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

Gotta love vidic he is made of steel. people fowl or tackle him and hurt themselves more than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Des wrote: »
    cITEH win.

Again.
    lol

Rafael vs Robinho would be an absolute disaster for United.

Guy is great going forward, but has a LOT to learn in defending.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Please indeed! Robson will have a field day.
    But he can't defend proerly at this stage, putting him against Robinho might well ruin his career.
    Rafael? Lovely

Multi-quote is a handy little feature :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Jesus Sky are making an awful big deal about the red card. It was a booking. Enough said! I wish refs had the balls to book other united players who charge towards them disputing obvious decisions. Still though, United well deserved the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    imo.

Hahaha, wanna jinx the next game or will I?

Chelsea Arsenal game will finish 9-8... Triple hat-trick for Denilson and 8 goals from Anelka, all tap ins.

Congratulations lads. Very entertaining game. Loved the Hart thing at the end. Thought Dunne had scored. To say we were poor with the extra man is a bit unfair. Ten men behind the call is very difficult to break down. Overall disappointed but sure we weren't robbed or anything, just beaten by the better team.
    Excellent Post Xavi, Fair play. Good to see sportsmanship like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Gotta love vidic he is made of steel. people fowl or tackle him and hurt themselves more than him.

He'd put his head in places you wouldnt put a crowbar.
    eZe^ wrote: »
    Hahaha, wanna jinx the next game or will I?

Chelsea Arsenal game will finish 9-8... Triple hat-trick for Denilson and 8 goals from Anelka, all tap ins.

qft

• Advertisement

Fizman wrote: »
    Jesus Sky are making an awful big deal about the red card. It was a booking. Enough said! I wish refs had the balls to book other united players who charge towards them disputing obvious decisions. Still though, United well deserved the win.
    They always love to make a big deal out of everything, its their MO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

City were much to narrow which is very surprising considering they have good pace and width on the wings. Everytime SWP/ Elano/ Robinho/ Garrido got the ball on the wing they would run a bit and pass it either backwards or sideways, they were trying to go through the centre of United, and their close control and passing isn't really good enough against United's defense. It was disappointing considering City had all the tools they needed to equalise, but went about it completely the wrong way.

deise59 wrote: »
    Multi-quote is a handy little feature :)

There does be some nonsense spoken on here sometimes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

I haven't read over the last few pages, so not sure if it's been mentioned but did anybody see Elano taking a swipe at Berb in the second half as he was running away from a crowd of players with the ball. They mentioned it in commentary but didn't show a replay and didn't say anything about it after the game. My first impression was that it could easily have been a red card but maybe the ref and linesman didn't see it.

An Citeog wrote: »
    I haven't read over the last few pages, so not sure if it's been mentioned but did anybody see Elano taking a swipe at Berb in the second half as he was running away from a crowd of players with the ball. They mentioned it in commentary but didn't show a replay and didn't say anything about it after the game. My first impression was that it could easily have been a red card but maybe the ref and linesman didn't see it.

yup should of been a red card

but as luckylyod said the way the game was ref'd today is how it should be done...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

With regards to Ronaldos first booking did the ref go for a card before ronaldo begun his disent and clapping ?as I havent seen a replay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Even though it may seem unfair I think the ref would have got dstroyed in the press/by Fa if he didnt send off Ronaldo.

Its hard to say what he was doing, heard a noise (I doubt), protecting his face (naa dont think so) or trying to cheat (couldnt have the way he did it). It must have been just a stupid reaction.

Vidic, Rio, Park and Rooney were good today. Carrick is a little slow but I think he was up there with those four.

As for Robinho....... not much to say really. Him and Vassell did nothing imo. Elano should have got the line also

Trilla wrote: »
    Even though it may seem unfair I think the ref would have got dstroyed in the press/by Fa if he didnt send off Ronaldo.

Its hard to say what he was doing, heard a noise (I doubt), protecting his face (naa dont think so) or trying to cheat (couldnt have the way he did it). It must have been just a stupid reaction.

Vidic, Rio, Park and Rooney were good today. Carrick is a little slow but I think he was up there with those four.

As for Robinho....... not much to say really. Him and Vassell did nothing imo. Elano should have got the line also
    Robinho had some great flashes of brilliance today, and made a fool of fletch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

yeah saw the elano incident dont think the ref/linesman saw it or it wud have been a card.
    the ref booked ron and then he started to clap should have gone then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Rafael is just pure quality :) First choice right back for me, IMO he will be in top 5 right backs in Europe in a few seasons time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Of course Webb didn't see as going by his (Webb's) perfromance today Elano wasn't in a red shirt so therefore it didn't merit any sort of a card. :rolleyes:

Personally I wouldn't get too carried away with Rafael. He did very well, great performance, and he's done great for us so far. But he really wasn't tested that much defensively today, and that's where he's still an unknown quality.

The ref today should be absolutely ashamed of himself. How many United lads got booked? How many Citeh players got away with carbon copy challenges? Ronaldos first booking was likely his first foul of the game and it was by no means a dirty tackle. The booking of Fletch was fair enough. Rafael gets booked for throwing the ball in the air but I counted 3 City lads (Elano twice) kicked the ball away after the whistle and nothing. By Webbs "book every foul" criteria that he applied to us he should have sent Stephen Ireland off 3 times over. Absolutely no use of common sense and he should get a League 2 game next week for that farce.

Great performance by United, by a country mile the better team until the sending off. Rooney, Carrick, Rafael and Fletcher were absolutely fantastic. Berbatov was rubbish.............again. We needed to get him off the second Ronaldo went.

I'm not gonna comment on Ronaldos sending off as I've no idea why he would deliberately handle a headable ball. He must have a reason. His first booking however was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I thought Berbatov played well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

could he have made contact with the header? haven't seen it...

• Advertisement

Smegball wrote: »
    I thought Berbatov played well.

Maybe in the first half when we were on the front foot he did fine but the second half he was woeful and the lack of effort after the red card when a team has to really redouble their efforts really got my goat. Rooney dropped into the left wing and gave his all today to win. Berbatov just strolled around half @ssed.

could he have made contact with the header? haven't seen it...
    Was an open header, easy goal really

Dunno what drugaí he was taking, but I certainly want some.

Robinho had some great flashes of brilliance today, and made a fool of fletch.

If you youtube David Bellion you'd also see "flashes" of brilliance

In terms of creating chances for him and others he wasn't at the races at all. As much as I dont like to say it but Ireland was very good. Benjani wasn't too bad either. Dunne also made some vital interceptions.

I thought Berbatov was poor at times tbh.

Better team won at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I only caught the second half of todays game but from what I saw Utd looked comfortable, even with 10 men. I've no complaints about Ronaldo going, he left the ref no choice. I accept Rooney scored the goal but I counted at least 6 times in the second half when he gave possession away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

The ref today should be absolutely ashamed of himself. How many United lads got booked? How many Citeh players got away with carbon copy challenges? Ronaldos first booking was likely his first foul of the game and it was by no means a dirty tackle. The booking of Fletch was fair enough. Rafael gets booked for throwing the ball in the air but I counted 3 City lads (Elano twice) kicked the ball away after the whistle and nothing. By Webbs "book every foul" criteria that he applied to us he should have sent Stephen Ireland off 3 times over. Absolutely no use of common sense and he should get a League 2 game next week for that farce.

Great performance by United, by a country mile the better team until the sending off. Rooney, Carrick, Rafael and Fletcher were absolutely fantastic. Berbatov was rubbish.............again. We needed to get him off the second Ronaldo went.

I'm not gonna comment on Ronaldos sending off as I've no idea why he would deliberately handle a headable ball. He must have a reason. His first booking however was a joke.

I think he was fairly decent in the first half but as soon as Ronaldo got sent off, he should have been off and Tevez on. Bringing Giggs on to play as a lone striker was a crazy decision. At least Tevez has the workrate and fight to play in a 10 man team.

Also, was Giggs feeling sorry for Joe Hart or something? That's the only reason why I can think he decided to run the ball out wide and then turn back in, giving Hart a chance to get back into his goal at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

A few pics to enjoy -

AEB55924.jpg

3Rl56949.jpg

1yO59760.jpg

c6F59760.jpg

Grz59131.jpg

MuW59365.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

lol, the difference of opinion on Berbatov is huge. Neil and myself don't feel Berba was all that great, while the guy doing the BBC updates was drooling all over him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

3Rl56949.jpg

I always suspected...

A few pics to enjoy -

AEB55924.jpg

3Rl56949.jpg

1yO59760.jpg

c6F59760.jpg

Grz59131.jpg

MuW59365.jpg
    Those pictures hammer home , how much of petulant git Ronaldo is.

• Advertisement

lol, the difference of opinion on Berbatov is huge. Neil and myself don't feel Berba was all that great, while the guy doing the BBC updates was drooling all over him

I thought he was poor also. One or two moments of some close control but thats it. Distribution was woeful at times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Maybe in the first half when we were on the front foot he did fine but the second half he was woeful and the lack of effort after the red card when a team has to really redouble their efforts really got my goat. Rooney dropped into the left wing and gave his all today to win. Berbatov just strolled around half @ssed.

I know its been said so many times before, but that is just the way he is. You will never see him busting a gut to retrieve the ball like Rooney or Tevez

I thought Berbatov did really well, especially in advancing the ball up the pitch, holding the ball, and distributing. It's what you need.

3Rl56949.jpg

And then Robinho kicked the ball at him early second half trying to get him sent off. Sporting :rolleyes: Someone should have told him you have to ask for the ten yards.

Also, was Giggs feeling sorry for Joe Hart or something? That's the only reason why I can think he decided to run the ball out wide and then turn back in, giving Hart a chance to get back into his goal at the end.

Giggs is like 100 years old, I don't think he can see the goal from beyond 18 yards.

Cracking save by Hart though!

Giggs was actually just wasting time, because that's what he came onto the pitch to do.

• Advertisement

I know its been said so many times before, but that is just the way he is. You will never see him busting a gut to retrieve the ball like Rooney or Tevez

Yes so the fact that he wasn't willing to up his effort and do what he normally doesn't do, for the benefit of the team so as to win a derby, is excusable because he's ALWAYS lazy? Sorry, no, that doesn't do it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

That is inevitable given:

- the high drama nature of his move;
    - the amount of money he cost;
    - the fact that he doesn't pass the 'eye test' as far as effectiveness on the pitch is concerned;
    - but statistically, his numbers are decent (12 games / 6 goals / 5 assists in all competitions);

PHB wrote: »
    Giggs was actually just wasting time, because that's what he came onto the pitch to do.

If he gave the ball to Rooney a seond earlier Rooney would have scored from the halfway line. I think instructions go out the window when you're in possession, going forward, and the opposition goalkeeper is level with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

A few pics to enjoy -

3Rl56949.jpg

Was this before or after he tried to unsportingly get rafa sent off? :D

Good game, good result. Ronaldo was always going to go if he gave Webb a chance after clapping him earlier. Anyways, I get to slag my old man about being Kings of Manchester (Ive had to listen to it for the last 12months) which is all that matters :)

Heres to Rooney's 100th (something that shouldn't be over shadowed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement