Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Manchester Derby - City vs United Match Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Carrick was good today but I think people are getting a bit carried away, a number of times he gave the ball away trying to pick a pass that simply wasn't there.

I thought Evra was very good today. He's been a bit subdued this season so it was good to see him put in a performance more similar to last season.

I don't know why Giggs was brought on and not Tevez, and I also don't understand why Giggs didn't hit it when Hart was still a good 40 yards out of his net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Xavi6 wrote: »
    A few pics to enjoy -

AEB55924.jpg

3Rl56949.jpg

1yO59760.jpg

c6F59760.jpg

Grz59131.jpg

MuW59365.jpg

How come you are only posting pictures of the Champions and winning team? Especially being a City fan Neil, you'd think you would prefer pics of the losing side?

Let me tell everyone that The Ilac Centre Sky TV stand is a strange place to watch a football game. All in all, City are a very poor side in my opinion, massive investment needed and is sure to come in January. I thought Hughes made the right substitutions and was really nervous when Sturridge came on, although he didnt produce really.

What a save by Van Der Sar at the end though, the hero of the day. Joe Hart looks a great keeper too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

giggs didnt have the guts to take the shot on and he should have gave it to rooney a bit quicker .good save by hart .

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    That is inevitable given:

- the high drama nature of his move;
    - the amount of money he cost;
    - the fact that he doesn't pass the 'eye test' as far as effectiveness on the pitch is concerned;
    - but statistically, his numbers are decent (12 games / 6 goals / 5 assists in all competitions);

He's scored against the likes Aalborg, Celtic, West Brom, Hull, Stoke (I think).

Against the big teams/ main rivals

Liverpool - Early assist. Disappeared when going got tough. Spent most of the game walking round with his hands aloft. Lost game.

Chelsea - set up Parks goal and did nowt all else. Drew.

Arsenal - did absolutely nothing. Lost.

City - a few nice touches. Disappears when going gets tough. Won.

Which games was he bought to add the magic to?

Maybe I'm being overly harsh on him but you want to see the "do anything to win" attitude in players. I see that from Tevez. I don't see it from Berbatov. And it annoys me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Draupnir wrote: »
    How come you are only posting pictures of the Champions and winning team? Especially being a City fan Neil, you'd think you would prefer pics of the losing side?

Let me tell everyone that The Ilac Centre Sky TV stand is a strange place to watch a football game. All in all, City are a very poor side in my opinion, massive investment needed and is sure to come in January. I thought Hughes made the right substitutions and was really nervous when Sturridge came on, although he didnt produce really.

What a save by Van Der Sar at the end though, the hero of the day. Joe Hart looks a great keeper too.

:confused: I'm just posting pics of the game in general that I got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

There's definitely a whistle blown just as the corner is kicked and I'm sure it's the ref blowing to signal that it's ok to take (but was late in doing so):
    http://www.d1g.com/video/show/?id=2472904

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

can people stop quoting the pics some people view these threads on dial up

once is enough..

ntlbell wrote: »

once is enough..

2001 called.....

I'm gonna quote them again just to piss you off :pac:

:confused: I'm just posting pics of the game in general that I got.

Get off the stage will ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

eirebhoy wrote: »
    There's definitely a whistle blown just as the corner is kicked and I'm sure it's the ref blowing to signal that it's ok to take (but was late in doing so):
    Its a Foghorn, not a whistle.

Most grounds ban them, they are especially banned at OT.

• Advertisement

once is enough..

Dial Up? You deserve what you get!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

there wasn't a whistle, there was a horn from the crowd. also the other angle shows the ref never had his whistle near his mouth at the time, if you need further proof.

2001 called.....

I'm gonna quote them again just to piss you off :pac:

/me has 24mb ;)

xavi a vast majority of ireland are still in dialup land we're not far away from 2001 penetration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He's scored against the likes Aalborg, Celtic, West Brom, Hull, Stoke (I think).

Against the big teams/ main rivals

Liverpool - Early assist. Disappeared when going got tough. Spent most of the game walking round with his hands aloft. Lost game.

Chelsea - set up Parks goal and did nowt all else. Drew.

Arsenal - did absolutely nothing. Lost.

City - a few nice touches. Disappears when going gets tough. Won.

Which games was he bought to add the magic to?

Maybe I'm being overly harsh on him but you want to see the "do anything to win" attitude in players. I see that from Tevez. I don't see it from Berbatov. And it annoys me.

Hey, you got an easy crowd here! I am not a fan of lazy players - irrespective of how good they are or can be. I reckon he's been a disappointment thus far and am personally surprised that Tevez appears to have been left on the scrapheap since he arrived.

But, so long as he scores goals at a good clip (even if they are coming against poor opposition) there will not be a consensus opinion on how good an acquisition he has been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,448 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

/me has 24mb ;)

xavi a vast majority of ireland are still in dialup land we're not far away from 2001 penetration

no they're not!

As for the game, delighted we won, and with the first half performance. Not so happy with the second half performance.

As for Ronaldo.... he was very stupid to handle it but I do believe he though the whistle had gone, or play had been stopped for something. Mainly cause he didn't attempt to handle it towards goal - dunno what the hell he was doing though.

Does he miss the Blackburn game, or the Spurs game; i know Evra misses the spurs game but that was a cumulation of cards, Ronnie got sent off - is it immediate? If it is an immediate ban then great, cause he was not likely to play against Blackburn anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Ronaldo shouldn't have been sent off.

It can't be appealed can it? My ******* Fantasy Team has taken some hit because of that sending off.

A few more -

TSF61586.jpg

9jt61661.jpg

U3662095.jpg

qqm56836.jpg

technically he can not appeal it - a yellow card can not be appealed according to the rules and he received two yellows as opposed to a red. THough I think Arsenal or Chelsea appealed a double yellow last season. Not sure.

As for whether he should have been sent off - it was deliberate handball, whether he was looking to gain an advantage or not. The ref had no real choice. If he had not sent Ronnie off, came you imagine the outcry on here and in the media?

copacetic wrote: »
    there wasn't a whistle, there was a horn from the crowd. also the other angle shows the ref never had his whistle near his mouth at the time, if you need further proof.
    Cruijff wrote: »
    Its a Foghorn, not a whistle.

Most grounds ban them, they are especially banned at OT.
    I can recognise the sound of the horn of course. The sound of the horn lasts a couple of seconds. The sound of the whistle comes about 1 second into the sound of the horn. Exactly as the corner is being taken. Maybe the ref didn't blow it but I can hear the sound of a whistle 100%.

• Advertisement

Re the sendign off. he didnt try and play the ball when he landed. He turned away mid air. For what its worth.

Oh and how Richards goes in studs up on Vida, Robinho with both studs up on VDS, both booking free and yet Ronaldo got booked for an innocuous challenge is beyond me?! An absolute joker is Webb.

True - i don't thinkn he was trying to cheat, and I would be surprised if people said he was trying to cheat; but it isn't exactly surprising that he was given a yellow for it regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

I can recognise the sound of the horn of course. The horn is blown. Then there's a sound of a whistle about a 2nd later (you can hear it over the sound of the horn). Maybe the ref didn't blow it but I can hear the sound of a whistle 100%.

Heard myself as well. It would be very confusing for a player in that positon to determine whether or not if it was the referee's whistle or not.

Heard myself as well. It would be very confusing for a player in that positon to determine whether or not if it was the referee's whistle or not.
    Yeah - but only an idiot would try to catch it in that position when already on a yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think this post from a different forum sums up most United fans' feelings about the ref:
    Howard Webb - Lunatic.....

Ronaldo's first booking - wasn't even a foul - he got the ball.

Elano - wild swipe at Berbatov - unpunished...

Richards - studs into Vidic's chest - unpunished.

Dunne - pulls down park when he's just past him - nothing.

The linesman got into the action too in the second half - Robinho pulling at Rafael down in the corner and he gives a free kick against Rafael...

Baffling....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Apparently Ronaldo heard a shout of "put your hands up if you like Real Madrid". A tad harsh, if that's true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Micah Richards being touted at £18m this time last year, hes not worth £1.8m on current form :D

Reality check for the billionaires today. Ridiculous team selection and tactics. Hamann started but I dont recall his name even being mentioned in 1st half commentary :confused:

Pity Rooney's lob didnt get the justice it deserved by ending up in the net :(

Impressive control from Utd but wouldnt go so far to say it was their best away performance of the season. They worked hard and had plenty of quality but are doing a bit of an "Arsenal" at the moment and trying to walk the ball in!

It's mad, i'm almost more angry at webb than I am happy with the result.

That's at least twice now, the first being Anfield, where United have been barraged with yellows while the other team don't get them for the same offences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I've no idea what Ronaldo is doing there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

There is a whistle blown before/during the sound of the Horn.

Regardless, you cant really blame Webb for the sending off. I know the rules state that you must be looking to gain an advantage by handling the ball, and it could be argued he wasn't looking for an advantage but its a booking. Simple as really.

The real problem here is how bad Webb really was. What an absolute waste of a referee. He doesn't have a clue.

Good Performance by United though. Very happy with the first half, bit jittery in the first 20 of second half but city were expected to come out firing. We settled well after the red card and looked quite assured for the most part.

Good Win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

SantryRed wrote: »
    Ronaldo shouldn't have been sent off.

It can't be appealed can it? My ******* Fantasy Team has taken some hit because of that sending off.

I'm sure the FA will be desperately upset to hear of the plight of Fantasy Football owners and will rescind the double yellow card post haste. :rolleyes::)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

great result for utd today

very impressed with some players today

carrick -was a class act today,getting back to his form from last season,

Ronney -was really up for the game,great passes, really played for the team today and scored real goal pochers goal

Rafael-i wanted him to start and he really played brilliant kept robino under control
    he'll be first choice for me from now on

evra -bombing down the line even near the end, outstanding, great fitness and skill
    best left back in the world imo

I was crying out for tevez when Ronaldo got sent off
    berba doesnt run,great target man but he wont close down men

and to bring on giggs who did **** all when he came on was foolish
    as a defender how you you rely on your keeper to help ya out

if foster cant get into the team at the moment with the form of VDS
    he'll never get in

Yeah - but only an idiot would try to catch it in that position when already on a yellow.
    I think most players would catch the ball if its coming for their head and the whistle had been blowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

In Fifa's Laws of the Game 2005, Law 12 says a free-kick or penalty will be awarded if a player "handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)".

Page 67 of the document gives "additional information for referees, assistant referees and fourth officials".

It adds: "Referees are reminded that deliberately handling the ball is normally punished only by a direct free-kick or penalty kick if the offence occurred inside the penalty area.

"A caution or dismissal is not normally required."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Wow. I didnt realise that at all. I was always under the impression it was an automatic yellow. Much like the rest of the world, and also, evidently Mr. Webb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

gotta be quick here, on my way to catch a plane, but i was delighted with the win today

City were ****e though so it made it easier

Bringing on Giggs makes sense tbh, he is a cool head who can calm play down in midfield, not saying he did it, just saying that was what he was supposed to do, fergie trusts his experienced heads to see out games alot

If Ronaldo hadnt been sent off im almost certain Tevez would have got a run but the sending off changes our tactics

Berba did what he has done for his whole career, some like it, some dont

Great win, badly needed and besides the shambolic refereeing in certain aspects it was good to watch

Ronaldo had to go for the second yellow, once he was on a yellow he was never gonna stay on the pitch after deliberate hand ball

if he did the ref would be slated

one thing for me was that City didn't seem up for it like they previously - anyone think it may be because of their new found wealth and stature - they may not see themselves as the underdog anymore and so didn't feel they needed to raise their game (like United have failed to do on occasion agasint them in the past)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

Thought berbatov was fantastic in the first half and really showed what he add's to the team. Second half however he did get sloppy and give away a good few balls.

Giggs definitly should of tried the shot or passed to rooney sooner. Doubt he was thinking about time wasting at all.

Ninja Edit: Wonder if berba set a record for the slowest walk off ever. I broke me ****e laughing when the camera kept going back to him and he was still walking.

no they're not!

without dragging the thread off topic have you any idea of the numbers that can't get bb still today in 08?

links?

there's a big bad world out there outside dublin..

an eu report from 07 shows ireland at 7% broadnand pentration and just over 50% pc penetration...

you work it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Andy Gray really is an idiot.
    He's going on about how Ferguson was mistaked to play him on the left with Park on the right.
    Of course Andy, Ronaldo wouldn't have given Rafeal any protection... :rolleyes:

edit: he got around to it, but he's still not happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I haven't got time to read the rest of this thread and see what other United fans think but I must say I felt Ronaldo was an utter dsigrace today. He didn't seem the least bit bothered and was pretty much anonymous throughout. The sarcastic clapping incident is indefensible and he was lucky to stay on the pitch. Then he goes and handles the ball claiming first he was pushed and then saying he heard a whistle. I don't buy it. I think his temperament deserted him big time and he was a major liability today. I've said it before but I really wish someone would give this guy a bollocking. I'll trust Fergie to do the right thing and sort this petulant idiot out. If his heart isn't in the club, which seems more and more to be the case, then pack his bags and take the cash. No player is bigger than Manchester United including the Portuguese man of whaaah.

On to more brighter news I was very pleased with the performance of Michael Carrick today. Some exquisite passing and he did his role really well. Good on him. Park did well alongside him also I thought. Rooney was very fired up and did well to nick the goal.

For City I kept a close eye on Ireland and Dunne and I thought both did well. Ireland was very busy and got some good tackles in and his pass to set up Benjani was a delight. He was unlucky not to score. Dunne I thought had one of his better games aside from one or two awkward moments, but the good far outweighed the bad and he nearly got a goal so credit to him.

Overall I thought City were poor and it should have been tougher for United than it was. They never made the most of their one man advantage and Robinho did little of note. The game wasn't what I expected and neither was the result but the three points are the main thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

LOL at the City fans on sky sports news who claimed that Utd were lucky and City should have won easy. FFS !

Deluded :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Sizzler wrote: »
    LOL at the City fans on sky sports news who claimed that Utd were lucky and City should have won easy. FFS !

as they will be in January when they think they're gonna sign Kaka, Messi and build a timemachine to bring back Maradona, Cruijff and Shaun Goater!
    PHB wrote: »
    I thought Berbatov did really well, especially in ...distributing.

Nope, he was poor at that, i'd be interested to see the passes failed percentage. at one stage he held of the ball, held off three surrounding City players (and I was thinking "brilliant") then without looking up just toe pokes it into the City midfield and they go on the counter, and of course Berba goes rushin back to get the ball - not!

nice touches and holding up the ball SOMEtimes doesn't mean you put in a good days work.

and before anyone says it for the umteen time, I know its "who he is" in regards to him not tracking back or running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Frisbee wrote: »
    He did hear something.
    He went into the press booth after to watch the replay.
    He insisted he heard a 'beep

hearing a beep doesnt mean you're allowed go at the ball with your hands though.

Carrick was MOTM today i reckon by the way, did he officially get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Mr Alan wrote: »
    hearing a beep doesnt mean you're allowed go at the ball with your hands though.

Carrick was MOTM today i reckon by the way, did he officially get it?

Of course it's not.
    I was just relaying what Ronaldo said for those who weren't watching the match on Sky :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Sizzler wrote: »

LOL At people who watch SSN, and believe it portrays accurately what the majority of fans believe.

They make a living out of shining a camera on the mongs who will say anything to get on T.V.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Trilla wrote: »
    as they will be in January when they think they're gonna sign Kaka, Messi and build a timemachine to bring back Maradona, Cruijff and Shaun Goater!

Nope, he was poor at that, i'd be interested to see the passes failed percentage. at one stage he held of the ball, held off three surrounding City players (and I was thinking "brilliant") then without looking up just toe pokes it into the City midfield and they go on the counter, and of course Berba goes rushin back to get the ball - not!

nice touches and holding up the ball SOMEtimes doesn't mean you put in a good days work.

and before anyone says it for the umteen time, I know its "who he is" in regards to him not tracking back or running

Keep in mind that even when he makes a mistake like that, he's probably under strict orders not to track back. Ronaldo wasn't exactly great today, but even playing badly he created a lot of space for Evra out left. Berbatov's being kept up there deliberately to keep their defenders back and wary. At least thats what I'd assume.

supposedly Richards decided to kick Vidic in the chest cause he heard a seagull squawk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Mr Alan wrote: »
    supposedly Richards decided to kick Vidic in the chest cause he heard a seagull squawk.

lol - what would you do without United fans, your postcount wouldn't be half the size would it!

• Advertisement

why do Utd fans hack my account when my back is turned?!?!?!

those pesky mancs

Advertisement