Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday Spin 29th November

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

The cycling forum posting population was almost decimated. I heard a shout and a clatter and looked back to see Blorg sliding one way and his bike sliding the other.

After stopping to get off the bike and go back, it looked like something from that paris roubaix film. Bodies and bikes strewn across the road, screams of pain, faces of anguish, blood, scrapes, torn clothes, mangled limbs.

Unfortunately it was all Tiny's fault as he was the one who recommended that route. Poor show Tiny.

A kind chap in a local cafe saw Caroline's wrist and said, 'er I can give you a lift to the hospital', so herself and niceonetom went with him. Blorg, Barrabus and me swung into the hospital to poke and prod and have a look at the xrays. We left the two of them there about to see the doctor with their xray and gingerly made our way home.

I'll be wearing my mtb elbow and knee pads on future boards spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

I was at the front .. back wheel started to slide away as the road veered slightly right, i adjusted my balance and spilled to my left.
    Blorg was behind me and he went off in a similar enough way, the others were behind a car behind us.

It all happened at a speed of less than 20 kph.
    A lesson learned .. maybe the best winter gloves in the world aren't necessary as the conditions that would necessitate them aren't safe to ride in.

Let's hope Niceonetom and Caroline are okay...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I've cycled that way before, up around Killiney too. It's all very nice and scenic around the coast.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Just back from a 65 miler with a few club mates. Rathnew / Glenealy / Deputys Pass / Beehive and home N11. Nice but tiring. No spills.
    Sorry to hear of your mishaps. Hope everyone is OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

barrabus wrote: »
    .. maybe the best winter gloves in the world aren't necessary as the conditions that would necessitate them aren't safe to ride in.

Now that's one of the stranges, yet truest things I've ever heard
    barrabus wrote: »
    Let's hope Niceonetom and Caroline are okay...

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

blorg wrote: »
    She said she had seen three other cyclists go down in the exact same spot earlier that morning.
    Well you'd think then after that she'd have gone and stood outside all day waving her hands up and down to warn other cyclists. Some people are just so selfish! :pac:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Just heard from them. One broken wrist and one broken thumb

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Oh crap. who got what? Hope it's not carolines same thumb broken again.. :(
    Get well soon you two....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Caroline with wrist and niceonetom with thumb. Sorry to hear it, real pain in the arse it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

@Verb, I take no blame for this at all, it's not my fault I'm one of the few that can stay upright (which is a new experience for me)...

In all seriousness, it was a pretty bad day to head out -nothing could be done about it at all -the slippery patches were invisible and lethal.

Get well soon T and C, and the cast looks nice -we'll all have to sign it! :)

• Advertisement

Verb wrote: »
    Caroline with wrist and niceonetom with thumb. Sorry to hear it, real pain in the arse it is.

Or pain in the wrist....

Coat got, on my way out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Sorry to hear about this. Hope you're all ok, and get well soon to the wounded.

And, without wishing to sound too mercenary, I hope the bikes are ok as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hey! I think I saw you all close to 10am turning right at Newtown Ave to go down Seapoint Ave past Seapoint Dart station, I saw about 3/4 people in boards jersies and about 10 others. I was in my van (in my sig!), was mid turn so couldn't beep :P Looked like a risky morning to be out on such thin tyres!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

That's rough, get well soon you both.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

cormie wrote: »
    Hey! I think I saw you all close to 10am turning right at Newtown Ave to go down Seapoint Ave past Seapoint Dart station, I saw about 3/4 people in boards jersies and about 10 others. I was in my van (in my sig!), was mid turn so couldn't beep :P Looked like a risky morning to be out on such thin tyres!

That was us alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

That is really bad fortune for caroline and tom get well soon guys.

It is a lesson learned in terms of biking on frosty / sub zero days.
    We need more cars bellowing exhaust fumes on to the roads to thaw them out....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭The_Claw

I salute our fallen heroes. Get well soon Tom and Caroline!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Really sorry to hear about the breakages, Tom and Caroline. I hope they don't keep you off the bike for too long and that they don't hurt.

17.7kph average speed for me. I've never taken it so carefully before. I saw Barrabus start to fishtail just in front me. I was closer to the center of the road so avoided the worst of it, although I did fishtail a bit, but stayed upright. Barrabus must have crashed as I passed him because I didn't actually see the fall. Then I heard the commotion behind me. I looked back and there were bodies and bikes all over the place, cars stopped, doors open, people holding their limbs and looking sore. I think we all feared the worst when we saw Caroline, she looked in pain.

Yikes, sorry to hear about the spills & breakages. Nice that people were willing to give you lifts to the hospital though.

Went up Stocking Lane towards the turnoff for Glencree and the roads were grand up until the wood before the turnoff for Glencree - big spot of ice there. I wussed out and thought that it'd be worse further on so I just turned back.

Nice day for a spin though (ignoring the frice).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Hi folks. Get well soon. Sorry to hear abut the mishap.

When I got out today, I went for Sally Gap via Enniskerry and Wicklow 200 route. Beautiful until about 2km after Crones Wood, then thick ice to Liam Horner memorial. Over looking Logh Bray road bad. Then thick freezing fog all the way to the Gap. Descent to Kilbride interestinf for the complete lack of visibility. Not that cold though. But I was wearing Assos airblock and tights.

All the best with the recovery folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Dolan is looking well there.

The gap looks totally different in that photo, its like something out of star trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Christ almighty! Sorry to hear about the injuries guys. Get well soon.

I only got back from the pub at 1.30am, so my idea of a 5am start in the mountains was not doable. I also got nervous about going out in the dark on my own in these conditions with limited insurance, so got realistic and just did a 1hr fun spin around D15 and Phoenix Park, finishing around 9.45am.

Phoenix Park was wonderful - very pretty with all the frost, fog and deer. The cycle paths were nice and slippy, so I messed around doing rear wheel skids for a while. I explored the park a bit and found some new paths closed to cars.

I also broke my saddlebag attachment practising bunny hops. I suspect divine intervention from the God of Euro, though it hardly seems worth mentioning in the context of broken bones!

The conditions today were potentially so much fun. As it was I limited myself to the skids and a bit of frosty verge skipping, but I decided I really "need" a cyclocross bike (with studded tyres for these conditions).

In any case, I'm going to order some of these when they are back in stock. They should fit my road bike if I take off the mudguards, though it will only leave 5mm clearance which isn't recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

Bit of a crazy day alright. Get well soon C+T. I went up to my mummy to have tea and sympathy after my fall ... even though I didn't get hurt really!
    Time to get the mountain bikes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

ROK ON wrote: »
    Hi folks. Get well soon. Sorry to hear abut the mishap.

When I got out today, I went for Sally Gap via Enniskerry and Wicklow 200 route. Beautiful until about 2km after Crones Wood, then thick ice to Liam Horner memorial. Over looking Logh Bray road bad. Then thick freezing fog all the way to the Gap. Descent to Kilbride interestinf for the complete lack of visibility. Not that cold though. But I was wearing Assos airblock and tights.

All the best with the recovery folks.

That is a cool picture..hardcore stuff!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rogerb

el tonto wrote: »
    Just heard from them. One broken wrist and one broken thumb

How awful, I'm so sorry to hear it. Wishing the two of you a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

... thank you all for the well wishes.
    Typing with one hand stinks ... need to get used to it though... broken left wrist. in a nice white cast to match my saddle and handle bars.

What I saw was Tom braking falling, thinking ... oh FFFFFk!!!! Then me, braking falling, on my back, seeing Tom down, shouted at him to see if he was ok, trying to move to go see if he was ok, but i couldn't. I sat on the side of the road thinking "wtf, not again" ... I really thought I was fine until maybe 10min down the road when I entered the coffee shop and took off my glove to see a massive bump on my wrist and started to panick. Thats when that man saw us and told us he d take us to st michaels clinic. Horrible pain ....
    Thanks to blorg, barrabus and verb for hringing me coffee and keeping us company., Tiny for taking care of our bikes, and Tom, for generously breaking his own wrist too in impathy.

ouch%20020.jpgouch%20021.jpgouch%20017.jpg

We ended up having a big pizza on our way back to feel better ...

I am on pain killers, high on sugar, and soon probably drunk on cider ... oh boy ...

Cheers to you all :)

Nice helmet hair Verb, Barrabus.

Blorg, what's your excuse?

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_4FtED9R-WsA/STGgDO-p3bI/AAAAAAAABDo/-T80dL5vjUg/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Well I couldn't go out today because I was oncall. But even if I wasn't oncall I don't think I would have gone out in that.

Instead I went to the zoo :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/penexpers/sets/72157610434280324/

Raam wrote: »
    Nice helmet hair Verb, Barrabus.

Blorg, what's your excuse?

He always looks like that!

@Caroline, no problem at all lookin after the bikes...

@everyone else, Specialized Ruby Pro (very small) and Cube Streamer (58cm) for sale -cheap! :p

• Advertisement

He always looks like that!

@Caroline, no problem at all lookin after the bikes...

@everyone else, Specialized Ruby Pro (very small) and Cube Streamer (58cm) for sale -cheap! :p

20 quid for the Cube.

Advertisement