Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prince of Persia reviewed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

Ya this is one of the best games this year. No you can't die as such, but like someone posted earlier, its the same as a continue/check point you still get sent back to the last solid platform and try again.

brim4brim made a few comments on the game, and by the sounds of things he hasn't played it. Its very similar to the older PoP games, there are puzzles to solve and you do have to work out ways to reach places. Orbs are needed to progress in the game.

As for combat, there are loads of combo's you can pull off. And no you can't die as such. But again it depends on how you look at it. I mean if Elika saves you that is when you died. It does this not to stop the action, I mean if every time you lost against an enemy or fell when missing a jump, you had to go back to a load screen and press A to continue and it puts you back a minute or so in the game that would just disrupt the flow of the game. And you do fall a lot and die(get saved) a lot when playing.

I put it this way, Pop can be as difficult as you want. Try beating a boss without the need to be saved or a quick time even. Finish a level without falling once for example. Thats what you've go to try aim to do, I mean when I fall I'm like feck it died again. I don't play thinking, if I fall it doesn't matter.
    Get all 1001 orbs, thats not going to be easy at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I rented this from Xtravision last week, and I've only scratched the surface of the game - not even close to finishing it (4 or 5 levels, 1 power).

Went out and bought it today. Terrific game, and its one I'll take my time at......

For the achievement fans, try finishing the game with Elika saving you less than 100 times in the whole game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Damn you people, there's enough games for me to play without having you convincing me I need this and valkyria chronicles!!!!! :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This is probably a rent-before-you-buy sort of thing. It wont be everyone's cup of tea but I'm really enjoying it. Its not exactly challenging (though its very easy to *try* to go the wrong way or to get to somewhere not yet unlocked and spend ages giving it a shot :) ). While the paths are mostly marked out, the princes abilities of extra jumping and now sliding down walls etc, means you can chain jumps that you would never think of in SoT or the others. Its quite stress relieving to arrive into an area and simply bounce around like a loon :)

It actually reminded me of Spiderman 2 in that moving around is actually a lot of fun and very much in the mode of a lazy stoner game without much to stress you out :)

Personally, its as close to SoT as I think we will get. Its a LOT better then the second in the series imho (god the fights in that were interminable and the voice acting was scandalous).

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

I put this on my "list" for Christmas - I don't know if Santa has listened and now I don't feel like waiting to find out... thanks everyone! :-\

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

jesus this has to be the most boring game ever to be made, right up there
    with Asses Creed. A small bit of variety (a really really really small bit) would
    have been nice.

Im currently on my way back to the temple to unlock my third power or whatever they're called and every "level" has simply been a case of rinse and repeat. Those puzzles are hardly complex mathematical equasions now are they??? Awfully boring game.

DeVore wrote: »
    This is probably a rent-before-you-buy sort of thing. It wont be everyone's cup of tea but I'm really enjoying it. Its not exactly challenging (though its very easy to *try* to go the wrong way or to get to somewhere not yet unlocked and spend ages giving it a shot :) ). While the paths are mostly marked out, the princes abilities of extra jumping and now sliding down walls etc, means you can chain jumps that you would never think of in SoT or the others. Its quite stress relieving to arrive into an area and simply bounce around like a loon :)

It actually reminded me of Spiderman 2 in that moving around is actually a lot of fun and very much in the mode of a lazy stoner game without much to stress you out :)

Personally, its as close to SoT as I think we will get. Its a LOT better then the second in the series imho (god the fights in that were interminable and the voice acting was scandalous).

DeV.

Funny you say that about Spiderman. Don't you think the soundtrack sounds like Spiderman as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

ROC1977 wrote: »
    Funny you say that about Spiderman. Don't you think the soundtrack sounds like Spiderman as well.

Ha. Yes. It actually sounds a lot like Elfman's main Spider-man theme.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This is not a game that should be gulped down like a cheeseburger! I like it because it allows me to jump into it and play for 30 minutes and advance the story etc. I play for "discovered art" as Gabe put it.

I wish it was more like SoT but I like it and I'm certainly not looking for my money back...

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm not mad about it. It's good, the graphics are great, but it's just missing the character that the SoT trilogy had. I loved the SoT trilogy, and I even put up with the Gothic, moody prince, but I'm just not liking either the Prince (though he's not as jerk-ish as reviews have made out) or Elika (who, likewise, is not as interesting as reviews make out).

I'm about 70% through the main game over the past week, with about 7 levels and 2 bosses (bar the final) to go. I'd be looking at a 7.5/10 at the moment. Not a bad score, but a step back from the fun of the previous games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Being a fan of the last PoP trilogy, I'm actually liking this one a lot. Yes it is very watered down in regards to gameplay. A lot of areas need you to only press "A" to jump at the right time and you can string together wallruns, slides, grabbing onto columns... etc.

But it is enjoyable non the less. The levels are simple breathtaking. I don't feel its repetitive at all going back through them to collect the orbs as they take on a completely different look and feel once they have been purged.

Its one of the few games where I'd rather travel to the next location than use the option to warp directly there as I enjoy the platforming that much.

The unlockable powers are fairly basic though, of which the green one being the only remotely good one imo. They seem to be mainly just included to keep levels unreachable until you've unlocked the powers, rather than giving the Prince any particular extra useful abilities.

The dialogue, while not authentic to the region or in keeping with the previous series, had me laughing on numerous occasions. I like the banter between the Prince and Elika, and while his one liners are corny, Elikas reactions and the chemistry between the characters is enough to make listening to them enjoyable, albeit shallow in comparison to the supposed severity of the storyline and the earths impending destruction.

Overall it gets an 8/10. Definitely enjoyable, and set in an absolutely beautiful environment. On more than a number of occasions I've got a real sense of dizziness looking down at the ground beneath the clouds below as the Prince jumps through the air and runs along the walls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Has anyone got to the conversations with the Prince and her where he plays the game with her??Dialog is very funny
    He also just said to himself "Run, jump, die, repeat run, jump die, repeat.Im starting to get the hang of this":p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

As someone posted in Bargain Alerts, tis only £28(~€31) including delivery for the weekend here http://www.gamestation.co.uk/Xbox360/Action/Adventure/~r408807/Prince-of-Persia/?mid=408807

Quite tempted to get it as i liked all the other games and I don't think I'd mind the fact yo can't die. Just sounds like an immersive and enjoyable game

That said i haven't even gotten my 360 yet:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

playa3 wrote: »
    As someone posted in Bargain Alerts, tis only £28(~€31) including delivery for the weekend here http://www.gamestation.co.uk/Xbox360/Action/Adventure/~r408807/Prince-of-Persia/?mid=408807

Quite tempted to get it as i liked all the other games and I don't think I'd mind the fact yo can't die. Just sounds like an immersive and enjoyable game

That said i haven't even gotten my 360 yet:p

Ha, I managed to resist getting it with that deal and then today its only 25.50 on Play!

Needless to say I decided it must be a sign and so picked it up:P

Got around to finishing it last night.

The ending is a little irritating as it forces you to make a decision that seems a bit stupid... unless there's some way out of it that I missed...

I do love the Jade costume you get for Elika.

How many hours, monkeyfudge?

Hmmm... don't really know... I played it in little chunks whenever I got the chance.

Probably takes about half an hour to finish a section... and there about 20 fertile grounds to heal... so probably 10 - 12 hours in there when you add up all the running from location to location and collecting orbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Play will only send the game to Uk addresses. How can you get around that?

silvine wrote: »

Change the currency to euro and prepare to swallow an exorbitant exchange rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

silvine wrote: »

Switch it to euro's in the top right corner.

I finished it and being goin for the light seeds. Got 900+

The game is fairly short but still enjoyable.
    The player is forced into the decision to release Ahriman again to bring te princess back to life but I liked this, showed how much the Prince cares and set's up nicely for a sequel. Also, loved how when you where walking out of the place the credits where rolling, it was a nice little touch.

• Advertisement

shame the spoiler doesn't get blanked out when you get an e-mail from boards. Talk about **** the games ending for everyone else. Tit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Cheers! According to XE it should come to €20 but when I switched to euro on Play, it went up to €25. Still cheaper than anywhere in Ireland though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

ending had a real
    God i did all that to end back where i started.
    bit of a kick in the sack but great overall..Couldnt be bothered going for all the seeds..

You why tell everyone else the ending of the game?

ROC1977 wrote: »
    You why tell everyone else the ending of the game?

He used spoiler tags. Not his fault you highlighted it.

I agree regarding the ending though! Enjoyed the game, but not as much as the previous trilogy, but I am looking forward to the sequel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

chrislad wrote: »
    He used spoiler tags. Not his fault you highlighted it.

It's nobody's fault, he read it through the email he receives when a new post is posted to the thread; unfortunately, these email notifications can't hide spoilers. Feedback Thread.

Think I will pick this game up eventually, sounds relaxing.

CuLT has just fixed the spoiler issue. Not much consolation to ROC1977 at this stage, though... :D

It's nobody's fault, he read it through the email he receives when a new post is posted to the thread; unfortunately, these email notifications can't hide spoilers. Feedback Thread.

Think I will pick this game up eventually, sounds relaxing.

Yep a pain in the arse! lol Carefull now our I'll spoil Heroes, Prison Break, and Dexter for you all!!! lol:D

Mr E wrote: »
    CuLT has just fixed the spoiler issue. Not much consolation to ROC1977 at this stage, though... :D

And broke something else as I am seeing the [/S.POILER] tags with the writing in between them now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Nearly finished this and have to say it doesn't hold a candle to the previous ones. Some of the puzzles and the complex contraptions to circumvent were great. This maybe suffers from over familiarity as one tends to go through the same part a few times and the light orb hunting reminds me of playing something like jak and daxter. Some parts of it are still great and I like the fighting and never dying but I feel a 7.5 or so is a fair mark. Less sandbox-y, more sand of time style next time please.

Advertisement