Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ciaran Cuffe (Greens) attempts to defend his uninformed radio interview

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

CtrlSource wrote: »
    Well, i don't know it and i think you're wrong. It was a lot better an approach to allow the membership vote the way they wanted than to insist they support a Yes vote like the rest of the Yes parties did with their memberships.

It is wrong in my view for the representatives of a political party to eschew the views of their members. It smacks of saying one thing to get into power and then saying another to stay in power.
    Don't you not think you're being a tad hasty to abandon the party you claim to have voted for all your adult life?

We are in the second year of a 5 year government (if it lasts) and it's way too soon to judge their contribution. i have my gripes about certain decisions made and i'm disappointed with certain things, but i'm glad they didn't pull out over the Budget.

Well they have disappointed me on a number of occasions - Tara, bertie, lisbon & the budget being the main ones - and they have done nothing significant to change my mind. You speak as though I am abandoning the green party, but the reality is far more that they are abandoning me (as a voter).
    If you didn't like the decision to go into Gov with FF fair enough. Lots of Greens feel the same way. But to say they're better off in opposition where they can effect no change is politically naive.

Protest and open debate are as important in politics as being in government. If the greens are nothing more than a prop for FF then in my view they are in a better position to effect change in opposition. They can effect change in opposition by:
    a) bringing governmental incompetence to light and holding them to account
    b) building up a strong alternative government
    c) not giving credibility to FF by going into coalition with them.
    This, coupled with your earlier stated hope that the Greens get "destroyed" next elections shows that you're not committed to stick by them and are just an opportunist who'd prefer to keep your hands clean and shout from the opposition side "ah sure we told you so!".

Guilty as charged, but change "opportunist" for "voter" (or "pleb" if you prefer) and "keep your hands clean and shout..." for "vote for a politician who doesn't lie to us too much" and you have my views. Naive I know, but I foolishly believed that the Green party were something other than a bunch of liars who wanted power at any cost. How wrong was I?
    Better to be inside the tent, imo

Inside the FF builder's tent? I believe that public representatives should be honest, truthful and incorruptible (or at least honest, truthful and incorruptible for a given value of honest, truthful and incorruptible) and not snakes whose only goal is to get into power and stay there at any cost. Which is what the Green party are. Make no bones about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I refuse to vote green again because of their back turning exercise on the class size issue in primary schools.

See the following website where they mark the issue for special attention:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvtUeSjzYL0

Its the political broadcast for the Greens prior to the election which shows small children saying "Please Vote Green".

I quote (28 seconds in); "Id like there to be less kids in my class, so the teacher can pay me more attention".

2008 - The Greens stand by and watch class sizes for the youngest children rise to the highest in Europe. They then defend the action.

Advertisement