Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

to SSD or not SSD

Options
  • 27-11-2008 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I have been looking at the option of SSD for some time now but have a few questions....

The drive I have been looking at is http://www.memoryc.ie/products/description/64GB_OCZ_Core_Series_SATA_II_2_5-SSD_Solid_State_Drive/index.html

Its a MLC type drive, which as I am sure you know will not preformn well under stress. The better type SLC drives are still silly money.

The above drive is aprox 170euro for 64Gb.

My question is this, would I be better off with 2x 74Gb WD Raptors 1000RPM in RAID 0.........? It would be a total of 150Gb and I can pick them up second hand for around 120euro.

I am not too concerned about noise levels so the SSD has no real advantage there.

I use my system for Photoshop/Illustrator (Large files), games such as Colin Mcrae DIRT/Crysis/Half Life and the like.

Any advice would be welcome as to which set up would suit me best.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

You'll be doing well sqeezing all your photos and all those games you mentioned onto a 64Gb drive
    Have a browse through this article on toms hardware, theres a link to performance charts of hard drives on the last page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

SSDs fall down in writting speeds: they are not suited to hardcore photoshop/multimedia use.

Read speeds are fantastic so Windows will load quicker and game levels will load quicker.

I would consider getting a samsung F1 terabyte hardrive: they are fast and cheap and there is almost no speed difference between one and a raptor and it has of course 1000gig of space which would be handy for content creation and having a load of games installed.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=343055 (€103)

And skip raid 0, pain in the ass when it fails as you loose everything on the drive, plus built in raid controlers are software controled and leech CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I forgot to say I have 2Tb for storage.....the ssd or the Raptors would be just for the OS and a few select applications.

I will have a read of the above link.....cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

I would "not SSD" at the moment, more Con's than Pro's IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Whats the biggest Con? I would have thought Gb per euro?

• Advertisement
Advertisement