Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New law

Options
  • 27-11-2008 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

I was reading something in the motor forum. It was post from another user. He said that there will be a new law in the new year. All learner drivers must be accompanied by an ADI.

Whats an ADI and what will it mean for learners.

<SNIP> i cancelled my test!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Authorised Driving Instructor

At a guess.

Which is going to make it <SNIP> hard to learn to drive, since there's only so many of them. I mean, if they can't clear testing centre backlog...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

I think it's Approved Driving Instructor. Basically it means that every drive you take will have to be a driving lesson. All this would be fine if they're were enough available AND if they can reduce the waiting time for tests, otherwise it will cost a lot of money for learner drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Watch the swearing lads, or the banning stick will come out.
    As for this so called "new law", i haven't heard anything about it, and it sounds crazy given the current systems in Ireland with driving instructors.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

An ADI is an Approved Driving Instructor. This is a system being defined by the RSA to regulate the driving instruction industry - check out www.rsa.ie and click the ADI link.

For the most part it impacts the driving instructor not the learner driver. The proposed law is planned to come into effect on Jan 1st 2009, from that date it will be illegal for anyone to give driving lessons for reward unless they are an Approved Driving Instructor (ADI).

So, what does this mean ? You can still get lessons off your dad, uncle, brother, sister etc as long as you dont pay them! If you are getting lessons from a driving instructor (and paying them) then they must be an ADI - otherwise they are breaking the law. I dont believe there is any penalty for the learner driver, the instructor could be prosecuted under the Road Traffic Act. There is a list of ADIs on the RSA website.

To become an ADI you need to pass a 3 stage assesment :

Stage 1 : a theory test (similar in format to the learner driver theory test but extended content and there are 100 questions to answer which are not all published in advance)

Stage 2 : a driving test, again like an extended normal driving test but the rules to pass are sticter i.e. you can make less mistakes

Stage 3 : a teaching test, the examiner 'pretends' to be a learner driver and you basically have to instruct them. You are marked on your instructing ability.

You have to pass all 3 stages to be considered an ADI.

Now, all that being said, I see significant issues in January as the number of full ADIs at the moment is small, there will be a few more before the end of the year. However estimates would suggest that at least 50% of current driving instructors will not have completed the 3 stages by Dec. In theory they (including me :)) are out of a job until we complete the 3 stages. I'm in the process of doing it, would be interested to hear other instructors opinions.

I have my doubts as to whether it will be introduced in Jan but the official line from the RSA is that yes it is coming and will be enforced from Jan 1st 2009.

Declan.

Cheers Declan, nce explanation there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Oh for the love of god!!!

I have my theory on the 17th, and so then I basically won't be able to drive??!!

Legally that is.
    If that's the case, then you will have to essentially make bookings to practice driving before the test.

And something tells me they will be much more strict about this than having a licenced driver in the car.
    :mad:

What with all the waiting lists fo tests, do they really think that this is going to work??!!
    People are going to end up waiting months to be able to drive atall, let alone take their fuppin' test!!!!!!!!

Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Oh, wait sorry, didn't read Declan's post properly.

Scratch that last post:o

So it won't be that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭darling.x

Thanks Declan.
    There probably wont be enough ADI driving instructors. I had a battle earlier in the year trying to find an instructor. I'm with a good reliable one now and i dont know if hes an ADI instructor. I dont fancy searching for another driving instructor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

If anything, in the long run, it will benefit learner drivers, despite it's poor implementation by the RSA it'll cut down on "cowboys" with little clue of what they're doing giving driving lessons. I've heard some shocking stories in my time posting and moderating on this forum about instructors with practically 0 knowledge of the Rule of the Road.

• Advertisement

Ya, sorry:o

Got a bit confused.
    Thought for a minute that he meant you could only drive with a ADI.

My bad.

Yep, it probably will be better of for learners. But i'm only thinking about myself right now. I dont have a car for practising any more, i dont have anyone to help me and now i might not have an instructor. Is there anything else that will go wrong on me.

They cant possibly introduce this for jan 1st. We're in the middle of a recession and a lot of people are losing jobs. And now driving instuctors who are working but not adi approved are also going to lose their jobs.
    It doesn't make sense.

Darling.X If you dont mind, when posting, instead of posting multiple consecutive posts, post one post with paragraphs. It's just a tad annonying to read.
    Cheers,
    Alan.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

But all the instructors knew this was coming, didnt they?

so there shouldnt be any major hassle

I agree that it was announced in June 2006 but the system was not up and running at that stage - i.e. you could not have actually sat the stage 1 back then.

The push has really been on since mid 2007 - still a long time I know but the fact is there are new instructors coming into the business all the time. If someone only started in mid 2008 they didnt have a huge amount of time.

One of the main issues I believe when the system was first introduced (and still ongoing) is resistance from the original Driving Instructors Register (DIR). I'm not, and never was, a member but my understanding is this DIR was originally supported by the Govt but then when the RSA came into being they refused to accept any prior qualifications from the DIR as allowing instructors to be exempt from the new assessments.

Other than that, its costly €150 for the theory, €200 for driving test and €200 for teaching test + €200 then to register as an ADI so €750 all in. That is assuming you pass each stage first time, if you fail you need to go back and pay again.

Other gripe that people have is the waiting list, in my case I applied in Oct ( have my own reasons for leaving it until then ) and my stage 1 is not till end of Dec, will be another 6-8 weeks for stage 2 and then another 6-8 weeks for stage 3 so could take 4-6 months to complete.

From my point of I fully agree with the system but I think it could be improved in how its being rolled out. One simple suggestion that I had provided to the RSA is to issue 'trainee' (or whatever you want to call them) permits to people who completed stage 1. They are then 'in the system' which is much better than the current situation. Let them work away as normal and as there is a time limit in any case of 2 years to complete all 3 stages so they could be a 'trainee' for 2 years. If it was clearly publicised then it would be up to the learner drivers to choose if they wanted a fully qualified ADI or a 'trainee'. As the current law stands the only option is for a fully qualified ADI and everyone else has to wait for their turn in the waiting list.

Just my 2 cents worth

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DrivingMad

DriveSkill wrote: »

Other than that, its costly €150 for the theory, €200 for driving test and €200 for teaching test + €200 then to register as an ADI so €750 all in. That is assuming you pass each stage first time, if you fail you need to go back and pay again.

Quick update..... I have just recieved my notification that I have passed my part 3 and am now an 'adi' (wahaay!). However, the letter now indicates that it is now €250 to register :(
    I think that these charges are waaaay too much! Or am I just a bit stingy?? :rolleyes:

DrivingMad wrote: »
    Quick update..... I have just recieved my notification that I have passed my part 3 and am now an 'adi' (wahaay!). However, the letter now indicates that it is now €250 to register :(
    I think that these charges are waaaay too much! Or am I just a bit stingy?? :rolleyes:

Congrats. I suppose it was to be expected, the cost that is, can't say i'm surprised. But it's only a once off fee, or collection of fees, but still once you have it you have it.

Thats cool, congrats. Come to galway in jan, and give me driving lessons just in case my instructor can't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DrivingMad

darling.x wrote: »
    Come to galway in jan, and give me driving lessons just in case my instructor can't.

I might just have to!! Need to cover the costs n all....... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

it'll cut down on "cowboys" with little clue of what they're doing giving driving lessons. I've heard some shocking stories in my time posting and moderating on this forum about instructors with practically 0 knowledge of the Rule of the Road
    100% agree.

Alan and I are not instructors or examiners but it is incredible what some people out there are being told by 'official' instructors.

There was a time a few years back when every second retired Garda was establishing themselves as a 'driving instructor'. And, because they were Gardai, people seemed to assume that they were qualified to instruct.
    you will have to essentially make bookings to practice driving before the test
    I have a driving licence in every category but, prior to doing driving tests in those categories, I only had the use of an instructors vehicle, i.e. I had to book a lesson to practise.

One doesn't have to have the use of/own a vehicle in a particular category to pass a driving test in it.

Just a quick update on this ...

The RSA announced today that the planned introduction of the new ADI law will be postponed by 3 months until 30th April 2009 so basically nothing changes in January.

Just a quick update on this ...

The RSA announced today that the planned introduction of the new ADI law will be postponed by 3 months until 30th April 2009 so basically nothing changes in January.
    Did they give any reason DriveSkill?

The main reason they gave is the backlog, 800 qualified and 1000+ in the system.

I've copied the full txt below and its also available on RSA website at : http://www.rsa.ie/SERVICES/upload/File/ADI%20FORMS/Important%20Information%20for%20web%20site.doc

QUOTE from the RSA :
    "
    Important Information
    The law regulating driving instruction will be put into place shortly. By the end of this month there will be about 800 ADI throughout the country. However, the RSA has another 1000+ applicants for ADI who are at various stages in the qualifying process. The huge volumes of work for both instructors and the driver testing service this year has slowed the process down and for that reason it is planned to allow a short extension to 30 April 2009 to give a chance to everyone currently in the system to become an ADI.

After that date it would then be an offence to give instruction for hire and reward. In the meantime the RSA is planning information campaigns telling learners that getting lessons from full ADI permit holders is the best way to learn to drive. We are doing this through the driver theory test, online advertising, and through our own publications.
    " - END QUOTE

Thanks for that DriveSkill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

that it is now €250 to register :(

Guys that's not expensive. In fact it's nothing compared with the cost of training for most other professions.

I have spent over €500 on driving lessons and anytime learners complain about the cost of lessons on here they get given out to.

sunnyside wrote: »
    Guys that's not expensive. In fact it's nothing compared with the cost of training for most other professions.

I have spent over €500 on driving lessons and anytime learners complain about the cost of lessons on here they get given out to.

The important point though I was making is the €750 or €800 is not for training its just for the assesment and registration. Comparing "like with like" the standard Driver Theory Test Fee + Driving Test Fee is less than €80, the ADI tests are basically extended versions of those. For example the Stage 1 ADI is 100 multiple choice questions, test is done in the same centers as the Driver Theory Test by Prometric. I agree its slightly longer test but should it be 4 times the price of a standard test ?

Training costs for driving instructors generally run at about €1500 - €2500 for a 1 week course.

BTW I hope I never gave out to someone who complained about cost of driving lessons :) its not so much about the cost, more about the value for money!

Advertisement