Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carnage on Cork roads again today

Options
  • 27-11-2008 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to get peoples thoughts on the carnage on Cork roads again this morning.

I left my house in Carrigtwohill at 7.30 am to be faced with massive tailbacks on the dual carriage way. 4 car pile up in the fast lane.

Already late for work I continued on under the tunnel and was faced with another pile up in the fast lane, this time it was a 2 car pile up at the Mahon interchange. I missed being written off by the quick actions of the jeep driver behind me(I would have been put in hospital with this one).

I continued on again and about another quarter of a mile up the road there was yet another 4 car pile up, guess where? the fast lane.

The cause seemed fairly clear as always, rainy morning + drivers too close to each other = sore neck.

My car was written off last October and ended up in the middle of the cetral divide by the Sarsfield road roundabout so I'm fairly sick of drivers who freak out in the rain and cause accidents. These are all avoidable.

Any thoughts/experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Don't drive in the fast lane? lol

Most of those accidents are from rubbernecking (sorry for the pun) same as the one on the off ramp at Carrigtwohill this morning.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Happens every day unfortunately & I dont think there's a way to stop it - I'm a Cork based accident investigator for one of the main insurers & all these accident are pretty much the same - too fast, mind on other things & no consideration for the weather

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

murphym7 wrote: »
    Just wanted to get peoples thoughts on the carnage on Cork roads again this morning.

How many people were killed - I didn't hear it in the news ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I continued on again and about another quarter of a mile up the road there was yet another 4 car pile up, guess where? the fast lane.
    Don't drive in the fast lane? lol

We'd all be better off if people stopped referring to and/or thinking about it as a "fast lane". It's not a "fast lane", it's an overtaking lane, and people need to get out of it when they're finished overtaking to stop the idiotic bunching that was probably a contributory factor to the accidents above.

And stop using the word "carnage" ffs, it's just pandering to the tosser that coined the phrase, probably some retard in the Star.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

I left my house in Carrigtwohill at 7.30 am to be faced with massive tailbacks on the dual carriage way. 4 car pile up in the fast lane.

Already late for work I continued on under the tunnel and was faced with another pile up in the fast lane, this time it was a 2 car pile up at the Mahon interchange. I missed being written off by the quick actions of the jeep driver behind me(I would have been put in hospital with this one).

The cause seemed fairly clear as always, rainy morning + drivers too close to each other = sore neck.

My car was written off last October and ended up in the middle of the cetral divide by the Sarsfield road roundabout so I'm fairly sick of drivers who freak out in the rain and cause accidents. These are all avoidable.

Its not a fast lane!

X.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

My thought on what you wrote.

You sound Like a Tabloid Journo. "Pile Up", "Carnage", even the grammar and style you use adds to this.

You think this so called "Fast lane" is for people who want to get somewhere faster. IT'S NOT. It is an OVERTAKING Lane.

You need to concentrate better.

Stop looking at the crashes and concentrate on the road.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

My thought on what you wrote.

You sound Like a Tabloid Journo. "Pile Up", "Carnage", even the grammar and style you use adds to this.

You think this so called "Fast lane" is for people who want to get somewhere faster. IT'S NOT. It is an OVERTAKING Lane.

You need to concentrate better.

Stop looking at the crashes and concentrate on the road.

Thank you.

What would you describe 4 cars in a line that all have crashed into each other? I admit the use of carnage is a bit tabloidy.

I wasn't aware that when I started this thread (my first one so thank you all for your patience)that I was going to receive comments/advice on my use of the English language. Thanks to all for trying to improve my grammar and choice of words. Much appreciated.

And by the way I was concentrating just fine, I didn't crash. The jeep behind me wasn't concentrating. Feel free to correct any spelling or gramatical issues with this post. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

The op might have sensationalised it a little but it really was bad this morning .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

We'd all be better off if people stopped referring to and/or thinking about it as a "fast lane". It's not a "fast lane", it's an overtaking lane, and people need to get out of it when they're finished overtaking to stop the idiotic bunching that was probably a contributory factor to the accidents above.
    Amen.

The problem with driving in Ireland is that Irish people can't drive. I've driven in over 20 European countries and also the USA and there is nothing to match the clown that is the Irish driver.

I think there is a major problem with middle aged Irish drivers, a lot of whom never sat a driving test. These people just do not know the rules of the road.

Of course a lot of these people then thought their little darling how to drive in their Micra and now we have a new wave of people who cruise along at 58mph in the "fastlane".

There are also a lot of fat ugly smelly looking muppets driving around in SUVs who think they can do what they want on the road. The thought of someone overtaking them or moving over to let someone pass is unbearable to them. It's all they have in their **** lives.

Yes. It does annoy me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

kcb wrote: »
    Amen.

The problem with driving in Ireland is that Irish people can't drive. I've driven in over 20 European countries and also the USA and there is nothing to match the clown that is the Irish driver.

I think there is a major problem with middle aged Irish drivers, a lot of whom never sat a driving test. These people just do not know the rules of the road.

Of course a lot of these people then thought their little darling how to drive in their Micra and now we have a new wave of people who cruise along at 58mph in the "fastlane".

There are also a lot of fat ugly smelly looking muppets driving around in SUVs who think they can do what they want on the road. The thought of someone overtaking them or moving over to let someone pass is unbearable to them. It's all they have in their **** lives.

Yes. It does annoy me!

Hah .. No way man, just as bad in 'Continental Europe'

Last week, i passed a woman in the Overtaking lane, weaving in and out of the slow lane and fast lane, with the interior light on in her car reading a map while doing 160km/h, her car registration was from Essen (Germany) This was on the A57 just outside Dusseldorf.

And its regular occurrence to see a feckin edjit carrying on like this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

The SR is notorious for people staying in the overtaking lane, its worse then anywhere else in Ireland im positive of it!.

But the with the SRs twisty design of multiple junctions and 2 roundabouts and a Tunnel all within a short space we're doomed to congestion and accidents until money is spent.

Better take the bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

What is needed is a dedicated section of the traffic corps to pull people over and warn them for stupid driving, whether it be for wrong lane, improper use of a roundabout, no indicating etc.

All you hear about is speed monitoring because it pays for itself. The yanks may be a bit over the top with things but you would get pulled by the cops there for any silly driving or faults with your car.

Her you never hear of anyone being pulled except for speeding or tax.

Rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Better take the bus?

Things aren't that drastic....

Wishing there wasn't morons on the road is like wishing the sky wasn't blue. No goverment is ever going to have the will to deal with it so all we can do is live with it. Just assume everyone else on the road is an idiot and you'll be right most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

i created a similar thread a few weeks ago on this issue...plain and simple, drivers don't:

1. Adjust their driving according to the weather conditions
    2. Have consideration for others on the road
    3. Slow Down!
    4. Accept that each and every individual on the road is equally responsible

There is a pig ignorant attitude amongst drivers in our land and more will continue to die or be injured until this changes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

Wishing there wasn't morons on the road is like wishing the sky wasn't blue.

Blue Sky.... whazat?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

I think people just need to be more aware of the road and try to see a few steps ahead.

I remember from my motor bike days, you had to be fully tuned in like a hawk to be safe on the road. I apply the same to my driving. I do drive fast at times, the danger comes from the general ejits that are allowed to drive on Irish roads.

Was in traffic last week and this girl in the car next me was reading a book on her steering wheel. I thought to myself how girls must be pretty good at multitasking... just a second later shes after driving right up the ass of very new looking bmw. I was like "HAHAHAHA you fool!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Bill-e wrote: »
    Was in traffic last week and this girl in the car next me was reading a book on her steering wheel. I thought to myself how girls must be pretty good at multitasking... just a second later shes after driving right up the ass of very new looking bmw. I was like "HAHAHAHA you fool!"

I saw this young one in traffic coming up to the tunnel, all over the place, kept veering to the left and jolting back into position...

I had to find out what she was up to....

Pulled up alongside and had a look in...

Woman of about 25, with a large O'Briens coffee cup in one hand, a sandwich in her other hand and a child of about 2 in the passneger seat holding something else (which I guessed was probably yer ones make up or something)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

kcb wrote: »

Not my experience either, European dirvers tend to be better technically but let themselves down with excessive speed and multitasking (!!) while driving. The American's are much worse drivers than the Irish but they do tend to be worse at slower speeds. Not sure how the actual figures for fatalities and serious injuries match up but that is my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

What I have seen with increasing regularity is trucks overtaking trucks on the Midleton to Carrigtohill section. It's takes ages for them to do it and they hold everybody up.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

gramlab wrote: »
    What is needed is a dedicated section of the traffic corps to pull people over and warn them for stupid driving, whether it be for wrong lane, improper use of a roundabout, no indicating etc.

Her you never hear of anyone being pulled except for speeding or tax.

Rant over!

I posted on my blog today about a guy who overtook the truck in front , crossed over the wrong side of a ghost island and got pulled for it.

Speaking of dodgy driving - I was in Budapest last week and the taxis there are scary. Driving right up peoples tails, weaving in and out, going up a cruved flyover at 100 when the limit was 50

• Advertisement
Advertisement