Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farmed prawns.

• 27-11-2008 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

I've been reading alot of bad press about these lately. Antibiotics, growth homrones etc. Does anyone know what it means when it says on the packaging "responsibly farmed?" And if you eat animals that have been fed antibiotics and hormones, do those drugs actually get into your system and affect you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Prawns are ching ching per-kilo and farming them is very very expensive as they're carnivorous. To make 1KG of prawns, you have to feed them about 10KG of expensive nosh, so I'm not surprised that they're fed everything to maximise their size / minimise their death rate.

As for the antibiotics....not entirely sure, but I'd guess that nearly every chicken you've ever eaten has been fed antibiotics. I think it's really irresponsible behaviour (pre-emptively feeding antibiotics) but there you have it.

Advertisement