Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi Key Fob

Options
  • 27-11-2008 1:27pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Both my key fobs have stopped working at I have checked the battery. Whats the cheapest way to replace a fob or is the only route a main dealer? I have seen Audi fobs on ebay but I have no idea how they can be coded for a specfic car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I know you said you have checked the battery but could it be that the battery is not connecting properly? I had problem like that with a fob before, had to stick a folded piece of card in behind the battery to make sure it was sitting in and connecting with all the right spots. No harm in checking that, might save you a few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

No idea on the Audi costs, but a Skoda one cost me about 120 a few years back. BUT it does seem a bit strange that they both stopped working - perhaps the problem is with the car not the fobs? - I suggest getting someone to look at it, dealer or a back street who is familar with Audi/VW.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

PM AudiChris and hope he can help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'm not that technical, sorry.

I'm with PaddyFagan though - if they both stopped working simultaneously, I'd suspect the problem is elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I was quoted €240 for a Cut/Coded fob.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

No they stopped seperately but within a short period of each other. The cause was dropping them on a hard surface. The first one half died, 2 out of the 3 buttons worked. Then I tried to swap the circuit boards so as not to cause wear and tear on the spare/mint key. The net of it all anyway is 2 dead keys :o

Im confident that its not the car anyway. I tried a good few things with the batteries on the fobs to make sure that proper contact was being made and had no joy.

Sounds like a dealer job anyway. Anyone recomend a decent Audi dealer, last people I delt with were Park and I got robbed on a service! I have a list of small jobs that need to be sorted actually.

I was quoted €240 for a Cut/Coded fob.

Hopefully its cheaper if I don't need it cut...

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Rew wrote: »
    No they stopped seperately but within a short period of each other. The cause was dropping them on a hard surface. The first one half died, 2 out of the 3 buttons worked. Then I tried to swap the circuit boards so as not to cause wear and tear on the spare/mint key. The net of it all anyway is 2 dead keys :o

You may actually have at least one fob that is working, buy may need to be re sync'ed to the car. I know this is the case with VW fobs. For example on my VW fobs, if you try to repeatedly unlock the car while the fob is out of range it will need re-syncing. I suspect removing the battery for a while, for example while swapping circuit boards, would have the same effect :-)

Anyway, it's easy to do (check owners manual) and worth a shot.

Ill have a look, thanks.

Rang a dealer at random and they said that the keys probably need to be recoded and it would costy about €50. Ill give it a try and see.

• Advertisement
Advertisement