Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Black Death" could be back....According to the Daily Mail.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

i'd say it never went away. black death was spread by flea bites. as most people in todays world dont live with rats the way they did back then there's little to worry bout. if it has been found on brown rats there might be an odd case but im sure its treatable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Typical Run to da Hills thread.:D

I'd worry about a lot of other diseases carried by Rats before I'd be concerned about Black Death!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Typical Run to da Hills thread.:D

I'd worry about a lot of other diseases carried by Rats before I'd be concerned about Black Death!
    But isn't it said that at any given time in the city you are no more than twenty feet from a rat. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

But isn't it said that at any given time in the city you are no more than twenty feet from a rat. :eek:

So they say, but I'd still worry about a lot of other diseases carried by Rats before panicing about the Black Death. :D

So they say, but I'd still worry about a lot of other diseases carried by Rats before panicing about the Black Death. :D

You could also say the same thing about surveillance cameras, you are no more than 20ft from one. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

You could also say the same thing about surveillance cameras, you are no more than 20ft from one. :p

Well at least you're fairly wide-ranging in your paranoias...

Well at least you're fairly wide-ranging in your paranoias...
    I actually like rats, they make great pets, they are highly intelligent and are not as intrusive as CCTV. Read the latest http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1089966/Minority-Report-comes-Britain-The-CCTV-spots-crimes-BEFORE-happen.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭gversey

Whats this thread about??? Rats or CCTV cameras.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

Its the daily mail enough said

gversey wrote: »
    Whats this thread about??? Rats or CCTV cameras.:confused:
    They have a lot in common, in any European city these days you are no more than 20 feet from them. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

But bear in mind that the article refers to a new virus: this is not the original black death of the mid 14th century, aka Bubonic plague.

Even regarding that pandemic, scientists and historians are still not entirely sure what exactly the black death was as many of the symptoms described do not match exactly the symptoms of modern bubonic plague.

Could not happen to the same extent today - cities are much cleaner environments then their 14th century predecessors and we know all about the rat-flea-human relationship which they did not understand in "ye olde times".

dogmatix wrote: »
    But bear in mind that the article refers to a new virus: this is not the original black death of the mid 14th century, aka Bubonic plague.

Even regarding that pandemic, scientists and historians are still not entirely sure what exactly the black death was as many of the symptoms described do not match exactly the symptoms of modern bubonic plague.

Could not happen to the same extent today - cities are much cleaner environments then their 14th century predecessors and we know all about the rat-flea-human relationship which they did not understand in "ye olde times".
    Unless it was genetically engineered by the powers that be as form of global population control, more than half the world still live in primitive 14th century sanitary conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Unless it was genetically engineered by the powers that be as form of global population control, more than half the world still live in primitive 14th century sanitary conditions.

Aha - did not consider that. Good point. A new plague or lab manufactured virus would devestate the third world I suppose.

dogmatix wrote: »
    Aha - did not consider that. Good point. A new plague or lab manufactured virus would devestate the third world I suppose.
    Im sure it has been tried already. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Simi

Im sure it has been tried already. :eek:

I'm sure it hasn't. Try keeping the crazy to yourself for once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement