Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I get chimney cleaned?

Options
  • 27-11-2008 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

Just wondering, I only lit fires during Christmas last year, as the open fireplace is in a living room only occasionally used. Do I need to get it cleaned before use or am I good to go? The chimney pot is protected on top from birds, etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

suitseir wrote: »
    Hello All,

Just wondering, I only lit fires during Christmas last year, as the open fireplace is in a living room only occasionally used. Do I need to get it cleaned before use or am I good to go? The chimney pot is protected on top from birds, etc.

Thanks

Depends on what fuel you used, but if you only used the fire over Christmas you shouldn't have a problem whatever you burned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

To be safe, I'd run the chimney rods up it to make sure there's no blockages. I too have a chimney cowl to protect from birds but you'd be as amazed as I was when I cleared a huge nest from the chimney last christmas after a year of not lighting the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

You could light a small fire first with dry kindling ; before it burns out add some green leaves; this will give off some smoke and let you know if the chimney is pulling; this will let you know weather the chimney is blocked or not

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

copper12 wrote: »
    You could light a small fire first with dry kindling ; before it burns out add some green leaves; this will give off some smoke and let you know if the chimney is pulling; this will let you know weather the chimney is blocked or not

Thanks. OK I will give this one a go! While cleaning this room today I listened to hear if there was any ` bird ` activity in the chimney.....all sounded quiet. Will let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

Thing’s to look out for when lighting a home fire this Christmas; that probably hasn’t been lit since last year.
    Even if you have a crow stop
    If you haven’t had the chimney cleaned in the last five years; or cant remember if it was ever cleaned; get it done now’ it will give you peace of mind’ and wont spoil the festive season for you
    If you had it done last year’ then these checks should still be made
    Look for any sings of nesting material’ in the grate’ also check where the chimney is flanched i.e. the sloping part on top of the fireback’ you will have to put your hand up the chimney to get at this .
    If there is any Singh of twigs’ even a small amount’ then there is the possibility of a nest’ higher up the chimney
    A few small twigs might not seem much’ I my experience this has led to two plastic bin liners’ of material being removed .
    If it is clear then follow the above post light a small fire first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

copper12 wrote: »
    Thing’s to look out for when lighting a home fire this Christmas; that probably hasn’t been lit since last year.
    Even if you have a crow stop
    If you haven’t had the chimney cleaned in the last five years; or cant remember if it was ever cleaned; get it done now’ it will give you peace of mind’ and wont spoil the festive season for you
    If you had it done last year’ then these checks should still be made
    Look for any sings of nesting material’ in the grate’ also check where the chimney is flanched i.e. the sloping part on top of the fireback’ you will have to put your hand up the chimney to get at this .
    If there is any Singh of twigs’ even a small amount’ then there is the possibility of a nest’ higher up the chimney
    A few small twigs might not seem much’ I my experience this has led to two plastic bin liners’ of material being removed .
    If it is clear then follow the above post light a small fire first

Thanks for that. I did the check. No sign of twigs. I lit a small kindling fire and there was a good draw of smoke up the chimney. I let it on for about 20 mins. Used paper and kindling to light it not a firelighter. I spoke to a chimney cleaner who of course, couldn't call the day I was of work and he suggested the above tips as well. I would think I am good to go.

Advertisement