Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4x4 recommendations

• 27-11-2008 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi,
    I know posters usually apologise when starting a what car/4x4 thread, but I am not going to, because I know some people actually enjoy these types of threads, well I do anyway :)

I am looking for recommendations for a 4x4, here are the criteria:

5,000 euro approx
    Diesel
    Must be reliable and able to take punishment
    Must be capable of towing a cattle box containing 2-3 large cattle, on and off road from time to time.
    Having said that, a large 4x4 is not really desired (Previous 4x4 was a Fourtrak, so something around this size)
    Most likely commercial, but this is not a strict requirement

I would appreciate any suggestions or recommendations you can provide

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ordinary_story

Land Rover defender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Annuv

Thanks Lads, I'll add Defenders to the research list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭aravan

What weight is 3 large cattle?
    What weight is your cattle box?
    These might influence the type of vehicle you need.
    Also, do you need back seats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

Well, for a start, I personally would advise you against buying a Land Rover. Now I don't want to start an argument with Land Rover supporters here :rolleyes:, but from what I can see, they aren't the most reliable 4x4's in the world. I don't believe that there build quality is up to the same standard as some of the japanese 4x4's that are in the same league, and ride comfort, while not a major issue for you, isn't great to be honest. Having said that they are quite rugged, and have a good 4wd system which means there fairly good off road.

I would advise buying a Jap, which will in gereral be boringly reliable, quite comfortable and have good all round ability, both on and off road and towing heavy weight.

A SWB pajero would suit you fine, but get the 2.8 if your doing alot of towing, I have a 2.5 LWB, and its not the most powerfull jeep to say the least:(

Toyota Landcrusier or the Fourtrack are also pretty bomb proof and will go for ages, or is there a reason why you got rid of the fourtrack.

The Izuzu trooper Swb offers a good load space in the back, and the 3.1L turbo is a good puller, but steer clear of the 3.0L.

A hilux is another contender, but alot of them have had a hard life so be wary if you do choose to buy one. There lenght can make them akward with a trailer though, and there is a lack of enclosed storage space. Superb machine off road though.

In summary, buy a 4x4 on condition not on its age, get one that hasn't been abused, or it'll cost a fortune in bushings, wheel bearings, hardi spicers and all the other wearing parts that are a nightmare to change. By the best 4x4 you can afford. Tyres make the most difference in off road ability but get something with a locking centre diff and a low range box for max traction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

What about this:

http://www.mbs4x4.co.uk/vehicle_detail.php?ID=171&NewUsed=2

Yes it's a LWB, but it's a nice Trooper with the 3.0 litre engine removed and replaced with a reliable 2.8. these conversions have a great reputation. Price is ex VRT, but it shouldn't be too severe

(lots of helpful things).

Thanks for the advice. In fact I got in touch a friend who works in a main dealer garage that sells Land Rover, Range Rovers etc (albeit mainly non-commerical) and he recommended looking for a SWB Landcruiser :)

The 4x4 is for my father (and grandfather) to be used around the farm. The reason we are getting rid of the Fourtrack is that it has taken so much punishment now, that it makes no economic sense to repair it, unless we can source very cheap 2nd hand parts. This is due to my grandfathers unique driving style, he tends to use it to open gates, knock ditches, reverses until he hears a bang etc, So as I said the new vehicle needs to be tough :)

Many thanks for the suggestions, I will pass them on

What about this:

http://www.mbs4x4.co.uk/vehicle_detail.php?ID=171&NewUsed=2

Yes it's a LWB, but it's a nice Trooper with the 3.0 litre engine removed and replaced with a reliable 2.8. these conversions have a great reputation. Price is ex VRT, but it shouldn't be too severe

That looks interesting alright, might be too big for him, we'll see, thanks for the suggestion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Annuv wrote: »
    The 4x4 is for my father (and grandfather) to be used around the farm. The reason we are getting rid of the Fourtrack is that it has taken so much punishment now, that it makes no economic sense to repair it, unless we can source very cheap 2nd hand parts. This is due to my grandfathers unique driving style, he tends to use it to open gates, knock ditches, reverses until he hears a bang etc, So as I said the new vehicle needs to be tough

If it's for that reason, i'm going to more so reccomend a Defender. Or a Toyota Hilux pick up. I know a farmer that is on his second, and it just takes so much to kill one it's not funny. His current one is falling apart, and tows a horse box about 60 miles of a round trip weekly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭fastrac

Why change from the Daihatsu at all.You can get savage value in the uk for Fourtraks that never saw a field and have all the extras.Some of the ones on carzone are there for ages and might be bought for a lot less than asking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 kce

Annuv wrote: »
    due to my grandfathers unique driving style, he tends to use it to open gates, knock ditches, reverses until he hears a bang etc, So as I said the new vehicle needs to be tough :)

...class.....defender 90 way to go........get some lovely examples in the uk and with sterling at the moment....defo the way to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

for off road i would recommend the pajero,

last spring we had a cow staggering with milk fever in a wet paddock my daughter drove the the jeep & cowbox out to her not realizing the ground condition were so bad

we loaded the cow & in the meantime the vet arrived in a trooper. the pajero found her way home with 4wd & dif lock when needed , the unladen trooper on the other hand struggled to get grip & had to change routes more than once

the pajero is a jap import 2.8 with 280,000kms . it is on oversize tyres & now used only for off road work. even if parked up for weeks on end will start first turn of key every time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Puncell

you wont go to far wrong with the isuzu trooper i have a 94 oone and shes flying, theres 230 000 miles on the clock.
    she starts first thing every morning and isnt too bad on juice either.
    i bought here 2 years agio for 5500 and i see there still making between 2500 and 4800 for a good one of tat year.
    i seen one advertised on gumtree.ie for under th 4k mark, might be worth having a look at.
    but seriously i think there a great machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,485 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd stick eith the Fourtrak, they have a good towing capacity, they're very manouverable and great value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

i have a hilux for sale
    1993 crewcab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭JohnButler

any pictures dude?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

Advertisement