Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That little logo on the tab!

Options
  • 27-11-2008 2:50pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has appeared before, but how do you get the little logo of the site you are visiting to appear on the browser tab? I'd like to put it in a couple of sites I manage and I don't know where to start.

You know the one I mean, Boards.ie have their logo to the left of the name whereas most sites just have the IE Explorer logo.

Bear in mind I'm not a techie, I just got landed with this job but it's good crack. Try keeping any replies in plain english please :eek: as i don't know my rom from my ram!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

It's called the favicon. Basically, it's 16x16 pixels, 16 colours, needs to be named favicon.ico.

Here's a quick howto on how to put one in. Lots and lots more info/tutorials/online favicon creators available on google.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Gauge wrote: »
    It's called the favicon. Basically, it's 16x16 pixels, 16 colours, needs to be named favicon.ico.

Here's a quick howto on how to put one in. Lots and lots more info/tutorials/online favicon creators available on google.

it can be called anything .ico afaik, that guide says png/gif but i am sure i had some problems with them. use a photoshop plugin like this to create an ICO file.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

it can be called anything .ico afaik, that guide says png/gif but i am sure i had some problems with them. use a photoshop plugin like this to create an ICO file.
    Or use an online tool like http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/favicon/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Or use an online tool like http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/favicon/

didnt know about that! nice one...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Thanks a million lads.

I used a 32 x 32 png on my own site and it works a treat - at least in my browser it does.

Thanks again - I'd have been a month of Sundays trying to find how how this worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Allow transparency on it and it might look bit nicer :)

Advertisement