Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi, false advertising?

Options
  • 27-11-2008 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

Aldi had a special offer on a PC they where supposed to have on sale today. My sister took time off work to go down first thing in the morning to buy one in Claremorris but was told they put it on sale the day before (Wednesday) she went to Castlebar but they said the same thing.

Surely if it's advertised to go on sale Thursday they shouldn't be selling it the day before. Either Aldi got their advertising wrong, or the local manager sold it a day early so maybe his friends would get the jump on everyone else.

I've tried to contact Aldi myself but their website has absolutely no contact detail phone or email. I wanted to get a quick complaint in the hopes they'd have another one at a headoffice of something.

Is it ok for them to falsely advertise the sale dates? Considering people would have to make plans to get to their shops early to take advantage. Is there anything I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

That's kinda ****ty of them, alright.

If i had to guess (and that's what I'm about to do), I bet they were delivered a day early to the depot, then to the shops, so they put them on sale early to avoid the security issues with having them in the store room overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

Sounds like just that store. A friend of mine bought one this morning in Aldi in Santry, first in the queue. 6 for sale in that store.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Ste.phen wrote: »
    That's kinda ****ty of them, alright.

If i had to guess (and that's what I'm about to do), I bet they were delivered a day early to the depot, then to the shops, so they put them on sale early to avoid the security issues with having them in the store room overnight.
    Over on the bargain alert forum someone said each shop only got 3 due to over stocking last year. I don't think anyones going to take the risk of robbing a shop on a main road in Claremorris for 3 pcs.

Mates rates I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

They only have a few each of the really good offers, its a real pain that they advertise nationally and then have 5 or 6 of the products in each store.

not false advertising , just poor advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Aldi never put the specials out ahead of the date, they probably were sold to someone who works there, or put aside for friends of theirs.

Their computer and laptop prices haven't been anything that special for quite a while now though.

• Advertisement

Aldi got back to me at lunch, he said he went to the shops and checked the till system and the computers didn't go through the till system until the Thursday morning. He said he even looked around to see if any where left but the computers where sold out everywhere.

I kind of assumed that maybe one of the foreign workers confused their English and passed on the information to my sister. She told me that it was an Irish guy that she was talking to in shop and that he told her the systems came in Wednesday evening and where sold Wednesday evening. The guy that rang me didn't get to talk to the Claremorris manager because he wasn't in today.

Again I forgot to take names but I know yermans job title, I was on my lunch break and in a bit of a rush. I suppose there's not much I can do at this stage, there's no computers left and if the computers say the sale was on Thursday then that's confirmation enough for Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

ScumLord wrote: »
    Over on the bargain alert forum someone said each shop only got 3 due to over stocking last year. I don't think anyones going to take the risk of robbing a shop on a main road in Claremorris for 3 pcs.

Mates rates I'd say.

Smyths has been robbed several times over the last few years on the main street with only cigarettes and lotto tickets stolen so i wouldnt put it past anyone! But how would anyone know these were in the stock room? :confused: Were they sold everywhere yesterday? Thats so annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Learned ages ago when they 1st opened in our town that they only get 5 or 6 of the good items in to each place so its a case of eitherh Q up and be 1st or dont bother.

These offers are not for selling loads of cheap pc's etc they are simply to get bodies in the door of the store.

Now this doesnt bother me at all (no shame i guess :D ) but the way both they and lidl shop are designed u cant actually get out unless u pass through a checkout , so i always assumed it was to dicourage u not to leave with out buying something :rolleyes:

Of course im sure thats not why they are desgned like this ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

calex71 wrote: »
    Now this doesnt bother me at all (no shame i guess :D ) but the way both they and lidl shop are designed u cant actually get out unless u pass through a checkout , so i always assumed it was to dicourage u not to leave with out buying something :rolleyes:

Of course im sure thats not why they are desgned like this ;)

I think it's to ensure you don't leave with something you haven't bought. Tesco, for the most part, are designed the same way, the only way out apart from a checkout, is under the eyes of a security guard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Aldi got back to me at lunch, he said he went to the shops and checked the till system and the computers didn't go through the till system until the Thursday morning. He said he even looked around to see if any where left but the computers where sold out everywhere.

I kind of assumed that maybe one of the foreign workers confused their English and passed on the information to my sister. She told me that it was an Irish guy that she was talking to in shop and that he told her the systems came in Wednesday evening and where sold Wednesday evening. The guy that rang me didn't get to talk to the Claremorris manager because he wasn't in today.

How did you contact so quickly them if all they provide is a postal address?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Customer service depts cost money, they encourage you to contact the store and the manager/ area manager has to sort most queries out.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

I suppose there's not much I can do at this stage, there's no computers left and if the computers say the sale was on Thursday then that's confirmation enough for Aldi.

Maybe staff had them put away for themselves and friends .Sales probably did go thru on Thursday but they never made it to shop floor.

snubbleste wrote: »
    How did you contact so quickly them if all they provide is a postal address?
    Boards is full of helpful people, like a knight in shining armor one of them came to my aid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I wonder about aldi's specials sometimes, i frequently hear of people going in for something particular and it already being sold out. Do they sell some items advertised at all or do they just get in very small amounts of them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

LolaDub wrote: »
    I wonder about aldi's specials sometimes, i frequently hear of people going in for something particular and it already being sold out. Do they sell some items advertised at all or do they just get in very small amounts of them?
    Very small amounts.

Advertisement