Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help buying RC helicopter for xmas!!!

Options
  • 27-11-2008 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

hi all,
    I'm buying my borther who's 33 a RC helicopter for christmas. He's into all these cool gadgets etc. I was thinking id like to get him a little outdoor one. My budget is 150 euro. I live in Dublin and home place is in Wexford. However i will be going up to Newry some weekend soon and also flying over to Nottingham before christmas so i thought i might be able get one there cheaper with the sterling so weak and the reduction in VAT.

However i have no clue where to get him a helicopter and what would be the best value with my budget. There seem to be alot of experts out there with more experience about RC Helicopters so i'd really appreciate any advice u can give me where would be the best value to get one and what type.
    PS my brother would be a beginner but he's quick on picking up things. Hoping to get the whole kit at once so he can open it christmas day and fly it straight away. No preferences on electric or nitro. just which ever is the best value for 150 euro.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

There are a plethora of model helicopters available.
    Many of the cheaper ones are just about able to fly, and last a very short time.
    So nitro engine helis are out with that budget. All of them cost more, or if quoting that amount, it only covers the heli, but no radio, starting gear, fuelling gear, etc.

The amount you mentioned would cover the smaller electric helis, and also the equipment neded to make them fly.
    But there will be a constant demand for replacement parts to keep it going after this crash, or that little bump breaks this or that part of the heli.
    So we tend to regard parts as like fuel .... the heli is consuming more parts as time goes by and as we keep using it.
    This means that you need to stay with a model that has replacement parts easily available, later on, while you are at home.
    Based on your post I think it's probably best to look at what the local shops here sell, and carry backup bits for, and then try to get something of the same type while on your holiday.
    Have a look at www.greenhobbymodel.com and at the helicopters designed for indoors, and indoor/outdoors. They are in your budget area. Then get the same make while you're away shopping. For instance a T-Rex 450 heli from abroad has 95% the same parts as the Green Hobby Carson Tyrann 450 so your backup will be nearby later on.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 maggie.B

cheers for your reply, it was very helpful thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 heli man

Hello everyone,

If your looking for a rc helicopter in Ireland then go to the irish website called Xtreme Helicopters Ireland www.xtremehelicopters.co.uk its a small website but they are very nice people. I did and never looked back. Hope this helps.

See ye. John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

did you get him any helicopter,

here is videos of a couple i fly, the trex 600 and trex 450 are on this page,

both are the same type but the 600 is fair bit bigger, the 450 is a great one to start with if he went to continue on with it

http://www.youtube.com/user/robbie77300

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

Nice flying with the 600 robbie, you would be well able for this years heli challenge. 1st round will be in shankill flying club. PM me email address if you like to get on mailing list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

robbie7730 wrote: »
    did you get him any helicopter,

here is videos of a couple i fly, the trex 600 and trex 450 are on this page,

both are the same type but the 600 is fair bit bigger, the 450 is a great one to start with if he went to continue on with it

http://www.youtube.com/user/robbie77300

Really enjoyed those videos and will watch them again. Class!

Decent camerawork aswell and no overdubbed music. The music is fine on the onboard cam ones but on the others you just want to hear the chopper. It's unbelievable how many ruined videos there are on you tube because of music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yes it was filmed by another fellas mrs. His mrs did a great job filming it. He himself flies trex 500 but i was amazed how well she kept track of it.

Advertisement