Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What effect does the number of previouos owners have on the value of a car

Options
  • 27-11-2008 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭

This is following on from my thread a few days ago, looking for a car for my cousin.

This* car seems to fit his requirements, and while sporty may have been a misleading description, it is exactly what he is looking for.

However, the car is listed as having three owners.

He worries that this may affect the resale price of it when he comes to change it again a few years down the line. To be honest, I didnt really know, so I am asking ye!

Does the number of owners affect the value of a car?

Also is there anything else that a large number of owners on a car would indicate?

The HPI report checked out fine, so I was just wondering this! Thanks for all ye're help!

*Was going to put up a link to their page, but they have taken it down.
    Its an 05 BMW 320cd, with 29k miles. M Sport pack, and no extra extras on top of that. 3 previous owners

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Was the car on a private plate? In the UK, plate changes show up as changes of ownership. If not, 3 previous owners, while not a good thing, is hardly the end of the world as long as it's reflected in the price. I don't know about buying an 05 E46 though, that car was obsolete when it left the factory. An 05 E90 saloon would be a much better car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Wouldnt the E90 be much more money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

JJJJNR wrote: »

A little bit more but its awful looking and that would account for a lot

Perhaps not, you'd be surprised at the number of people who must have a BMW coupé.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Anan1 wrote: »
    Was the car on a private plate? In the UK, plate changes show up as changes of ownership.

If this isn't the case, I'd be very wary. 3 owners is a lot.

It wouldn't be unusual to find one person who only keeps the car a short while, but 3 who keep it for a year each on average? (unless it was originally registered as a demo, then my whole point falls down :o)

Could be a sign that it's a "Monday Morning" car.

• Advertisement

R.O.R wrote: »
    If this isn't the case, I'd be very wary. 3 owners is a lot.

It wouldn't be unusual to find one person who only keeps the car a short while, but 3 who keep it for a year each on average? (unless it was originally registered as a demo, then my whole point falls down :o)

Could be a sign that it's a "Monday Morning" car.

Last owner had it since Jan 07.

"Monday morning" car?

Will the next owner be the 5th owner.! Its had 3 prev, currently owned by fourth etc.

The HPI check should tell you how many previous registrations (if any) it's had. Don't forget, three previous is four in total. Four plus your friend makes five when they come to sell. A Monday morning car is a lemon.

Will the next owner be the 5th owner.! Its had 3 prev, currently owned by fourth etc.

No two previous, current one is the third. So next owner will be the 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Last owner had it since Jan 07.

Sounds like it might have been a demo, then 18 - 24 months per owner so probably OK.
    "Monday morning" car?

I don't know about you, but I never do anything in work of any consequence on a Monday morning (or Friday afternoon) as the heart isn't really in it. You'll sometimes get cars like that - recurring problems that keep being fixed but pop up again and again.

• Advertisement

Yeah but the person he trys to sell it too will be the 5th! going to loose your shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It depends on the previous owners.

Two previous owners might seem better, but the first one might have been Hertz. If it were possible to go to an owner previous to the current and ask why he sold it................

nipplenuts wrote: »
    It depends on the previous owners.

Two previous owners might seem better, but the first one might have been Hertz. If it were possible to go to an owner previous to the current and ask why he sold it................

Tried but not possible due to data protection. I know their details are listed on the V5 but neither the garage or the HPI crowd are willing to disclose that info...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Why does it matter? It could have had 1 owner who drove it like he stole it, or 5 very careful sunday drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

I looked at a car last week which I was told had 2 owners but actually had 3. It was an 05 car and this put me off. When you go to sell this car there will be 4 owners on it. Makes it harder to shift, you will need to price lower than other cars with less owners when you go to sell. Any garage will use it as a point to reduce trade in vlaue also.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The way used car resale values are tumbling at the moment it probably will not matter how many previous owners a car has.

Advertisement