Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Nuvi 200W - problem finding model

• 27-11-2008 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Bought this for my partner for Christmas and thought I'd register it in advance and download the latest maps (if it doesn't already have them). Registered it ok but it can't pick it up. I get the message 'Connect your device to your computer and click Find Devices to continue'.
    When I click 'find devices' it just goes back to the message again :mad: Is there any other way of finding out which version of the maps are loaded without attaching it to the computer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Have you installed the Garmin browser plugin?

MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Install this s/w first, it's the browser plugin which is needed so that Garmin can recognise your unit...

http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Yes, I did install the plugin. After jumping through hoops I eventually managed to register and check the map version. This is the data I got:

Maps installed on this device:

Unlk/Reg Sheet CNE NT 2008,UK & Ireland Limited
    Region: City Navigator Europe NT 2008 UK & Ireland Limited- Deluxe
    Code: JSNP40I
    Unlock Code: xxxxxxxx
    Date Unlocked: August 26, 2008

I thought I was entitled to the 2009 maps? What's wrong? Am very miffed :mad: What should I do? Return it or talk to Garmin?

I plugged it in to my work computer today to check the map updates and got this:

Update(s) available for your device:

City Navigator® Europe NT 2009 Map Update Buy Now

So does this mean the 2009 Ireland & UK maps are already loaded? How do I find out for sure? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

no it only has the 08 maps i have the same one and to get the 09 maps its 60 pound i think

• Advertisement

I'm really miffed. Another poster said this in another thread:

If you register your 200W now you are entitled to a free upgrade to the latest version maps which just came out a few weeks ago. When you are downloading this FREE update Garmin will offer you a FREE upgrade to Full European maps.

The only circumstances where this will not work is if you unit already has the latest maps on it straight out of the box. Or if Garmin changes it's policy on it.

I got this free upgrade to European maps from UK & IRL maps last year when I got the new version FREE! And others have posted of getting the same this year!

So I have a sat nav with out of date maps on it now. Great Christmas present this will be for my partner :mad: I e-mailed Garmin about it but got the standard reply. Can I bring this back to the shop do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I presume you just bought this now rather than in August?

If so then I'd suggest that you ring Garmin CS and ask them what's the story.

You'll see another thread here where people, including a mate of mine, have had trouble when they try to register online.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Beware some of the CSs in Garmin are incompetent, see my thread on the matter.

MC

E-mailed them again and they replied this morning with this:

You are eligible for a free map update to the latest maps which is the
    2009 version. If your unit still shows the 2008 maps then please provide
    me with a serial number and a proof of purchase and I can have my
    supervisor force through a free map update to your account.

Will mail them with the details tomorrow so hopefully all will be resolved :D

Advertisement