Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's almost time to book a flight. What a decision to make...!

Options
  • 27-11-2008 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

Howdee,

As I've mentioned on here before saying I had a WHV that's going to expire next (mid) April. I've pretty much decided "f**k it. I'm going to book a flight first week of January for sometime in March, and just go."

Things have been holding me back here this year, but they can't do any longer. It's time I got on with stuff. One part of me is very excited about doing it. another part of me is bloody scared. Scared that this could be one of the most crucial decisions I'll make yet. I've made some bad ones in my time, but this is different. I'm in the last year of the WHV so would be going to work, and work alone. I've done the traveling bit already.

I'm excited about the prospects of looking for jobs etc. But at the same time I'm shi*ting myself thinking about if it all goes wrong, I'll have screwed up royally...

I've been floating CVs off here, and no luck, so I'm thinking what have I got to lose. If I don't go, and look back on this in 10 years time, I'll be probably kicking myself.

I'm even head wrecked on what to bring. I want to bring guitars and stuff, but realise it may not be possible...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhh...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

BarryCreed wrote: »
    One part of me is very excited about doing it. another part of me is bloody scared.

Listen to the first part especially if there is nothing keeping you here.
    Scared that this could be one of the most crucial decisions I'll make yet. I've made some bad ones in my time, but this is different. I'm in the last year of the WHV so would be going to work, and work alone. I've done the traveling bit already.

I wouldn't dismiss the traveling part all together. Australia from North to South, to East to West can be completely different experiences for people. You might land in Sydney and not like it, but there are the other cities that will offer a different experience or even some remote/small towns that might suit you better.
    I'm excited about the prospects of looking for jobs etc. But at the same time I'm shi*ting myself thinking about if it all goes wrong, I'll have screwed up royally...

I've been floating CVs off here, and no luck, so I'm thinking what have I got to lose. If I don't go, and look back on this in 10 years time, I'll be probably kicking myself.

What could you be screwing up?

Job hunting can be hard and scary where ever you do it. I'm sure you have experienced this before. Don't expect it to be much different to what you have gone through before.

Don't worry about the lack of responses to CV when sending them from over here. For one thing you aren't available to interview, it would be hard to contact you during their business hours due to time difference, and at this moment you can't give them any solid detail like when you will be arriving etc.

Would be a risk for a company to hire you, and leave the position unfilled with out even meeting you, and then they would have to trust you to actually turn up.

I'm even head wrecked on what to bring. I want to bring guitars and stuff, but realise it may not be possible...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhh...

Why not pick up a cheap guitar over there? Should be able to pick one up in a second hand shop, charity shop or pawn shop. Or even off some other traveller who is going home. All i would take is sticking a note up in a few hostels.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Don't bring the guitars. They're awkward, you'll get charged by the airlines, and you can pick up a guitar down here and then busk for money. :D (Though look into it - in Melbourne you have to get yourself a busking licence, which involves day at the town hall square where you have to demonstrate your act so the busking authorities can make sure you're not a nuisance and then grant you a licence.)

Otherwise, just come down. And come earlier than March. Especially if you're coming to the south, because you'll just move from one winter to another. Okay, so our winters are obviously not as bad, but you still lose the light because you'll go from it just starting to get dark later, to it just starting to get dark earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

Thanks for the advice folks. What I should have made clearer in the original post was that I was applying for jobs here in Ireland, but so far no luck, and to be honest, I don't want to have to go to Dublin..I've got the itch to live abroad again. Last time I lived away was in various European countries, so it was always easy to get home.
    It's a hard decision, but one that's burning in me at the moment to do...
    Yerra, I'd have to bring my guitar. It's like cigarettes to me..!
    Who knows, I could try and get a gig over there as well as working....

Of course I wouldn't rule out diferent places. I've got mates/relations in Sydney,Brisbane and Perth, and for a muso like me, Melbourne was a cool place. Mate in SYdney said he'd put me up for a while, so that's a thing less to worry about. I'd do bar work, gig, anything, until I found a "9 to 5". It's actually booking the flight that's giving me the shakes....It's a big decision for me...

My biggest fear is not being able to pay off some loans here while away, but I suppose as they say: "Cross that bridge when you come to it".
    Maybe I should book flight before xmas, something to look forward to in the new year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Talk to the bank and see if they'll let you defer some payments maybe? Have you anything you could sell before going to clear some debt? The exchange rate could hammer you if you were trying to send money home- it could work with you, it coudl flip and work against you. That certainly is a risk element.

Yeah, I suppose there are ways and means. Worse than a loan. It's a flippin house!!! Well, I split up with person I was with last January, so have to get a move on with life. There are always ways and means I suppose...
    That's the only thing that has been holding me back this year.....

...........holding me back...........:(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

it's only a year mate, you come down and before you know it you've to leave again, relax, every irish person under 30 is down here, so it must be easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

To be honest with you man, things seam to have slowed here dramatically, people getting laid off etc and I have 2 mates here who have been looking for jobs for the last month to no avail.

Really give it thought man.

That's another fear of mine brendansmith. My timing in life is great as usual.
    Do you mind me asking what type of work they were doing before they got laid off?

Not to take the thread off topic...

Now I'm doubtful again.:(:(

I go from one day of "Yes. I'm outta here!" to "Oh no. I'll have to stay here".

I don't want to stay in Ireland anymore than I have to. I'd rather be miserable somewhere else...:o

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    it's only a year mate, you come down and before you know it you've to leave again, relax, every irish person under 30 is down here, so it must be easy!

My plan would be to stay for a few years at least. Who knows...

My plan would be to stay for a few years at least. Who knows...

well you can't just decide to do that, unless you're skilled and in demand you wont get a full time job, just contracts, and wont be offered sponsorship

• Advertisement

well you can't just decide to do that, unless you're skilled and in demand you wont get a full time job, just contracts, and wont be offered sponsorship

Tell me more....???

I've looked at the list of skilled jobs and I fall into that category (technical writing), so in theory I could be ok. Reality is always a different thing though...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I don't want to stay in Ireland anymore than I have to. I'd rather be miserable somewhere else...:o

And there's your answer tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Flairpinnedme

Tell me more....???

I've looked at the list of skilled jobs and I fall into that category (technical writing), so in theory I could be ok. Reality is always a different thing though...:eek:
    it depends on whether theres a shortage of people with your skill

either way, you should defintely go. you may not have another chance and its such an amazing country

it depends on whether theres a shortage of people with your skill

either way, you should defintely go. you may not have another chance and its such an amazing country

Don't I know it. The window is closing for me, as my WHV expires mid April, and my ex is hummin and hawin all year about renting out the gaff. I broke up last January for flip sake! I said I'd pay whatever I had to from down under, but i suppose that's assuming I get a job (I'm sorted for a place to stay initially).
    She seems to think I'm doing a runner, but I'm a responsible chap!:)

It's a risk, but one I'm willing to take..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Hetack

To the OP, I am nearly in the same situation as yourself. I'm planning on going in January. I also have a bit of a loan to pay back along with some hefty car finance repayments. I really want to go on the chance that it might work out ie I find decent work that enables me to keep up my payments and have fun at the same time. But if what if it all goes horribly wrong........:(

Hetack wrote: »
    To the OP, I am nearly in the same situation as yourself. I'm planning on going in January. I also have a bit of a loan to pay back along with some hefty car finance repayments. I really want to go on the chance that it might work out ie I find decent work that enables me to keep up my payments and have fun at the same time. But if what if it all goes horribly wrong........:(

I know, that's the chance you take I suppose,but I would be going to strictly to work, and no fun. i did the fun bit a few years ago.

You can think about 10 years time, and will you regret it or not. There are ways around everything....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭aka_Ciaran

Better to regret the things you did, rather than the things you didn't, so go for it

I know, that's the chance you take I suppose,but I would be going to strictly to work, and no fun. i did the fun bit a few years ago.

You can think about 10 years time, and will you regret it or not. There are ways around everything....

why would you bother going across the world just to work and have no fun? You did your fun already? So the rest of your life is going to be boring? Christ!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

why would you bother going across the world just to work and have no fun? You did your fun already? So the rest of your life is going to be boring? Christ!!!

I assume what he means is he's going to make some money, as opposed to going on the p!ss for 6 months, like a lot of people do.

I'd recommend London if you want to make real money, the aussie dollar is worth pittance these days

• Advertisement

What I should have said was, I was in Oz in 2007 for 2 months while I was "in between jobs" in Ireland. So, I've been in all the major cities etc. Yes, there's lots I didn't see, but all in good time...
    So this time, I would prefer to just work over there if possible...

I'd recommend London if you want to make real money, the aussie dollar is worth pittance these days

Yep, you may make it, but you'd bloody spend it as well...
    I'd rather go to a smaller city than London though (if I were to go to England)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

If you can find a job that is. The market is pretty bad here at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Hey speak for yourself! Even after the dollar drop I still make more $ than people at home!!! ;)

hussey wrote: »
    Hey speak for yourself! Even after the dollar drop I still make more $ than people at home!!! ;)

yeah i'm on really good $ now but I got lucky, I'm pretty sure I have more expendible cash here, it's not as rip-off-Ireland here as er.. Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

yeah i'm on really good $ now but I got lucky, I'm pretty sure I have more expendible cash here, it's not as rip-off-Ireland here as er.. Ireland!

Do you get paid a little less if you get a job on the WHV? As in, they would assume you are buggering off after a few months, so they pay you less..?

no, it depends on your field etc, i'm on the same dough as all the ozzies in this company anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

no, it depends on your field etc, i'm on the same dough as all the ozzies in this company anyway

interesting. that appeals...
    I was under the assumption they would throw a saddle up on your back because of the WHV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Hetack

Yeah I hear what you are saying loud and clear! :)

I too have done a fair bit of travelling and having a blast at the same time, although if I do take the option of the WHV, I reckon I wont be as wasteful as I have in the past. It all depends on what sort of opportunities are availbale to me on that particular visa. I hold some very good qualifications in Management and Mechanical Engineering so I'm hoping that these will help me along.

Best of luck to you fellow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

seachto7 wrote: »
    Do you get paid a little less if you get a job on the WHV? As in, they would assume you are buggering off after a few months, so they pay you less..?

Yeah sometimes they do, but it would be more agencies that try to pull one over on ya than the actual company.

Advertisement