Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help: car phone

• 27-11-2008 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Need some direction / assistance wrt mobile in car, am not very up to speed on mobile technology and it possibilities and limitations.

Just bought new car that has built in phone system
    It is not bluetooth operated
    In other words needs a SIM card
    There is a slot in the glove compartment for the sim etc
    All the controls etc on the wheel

Can I get a second SIM for my phone on the same number?
    Otherwise the only way I can think to use this is to take the SIM out of my mobile each time I get into the car and vice versa when I get out of the car.

The owners manual for the car has a section on this but doesn't make much sense to me

Other alternative would be to get a second phone number and have that SIM in the car all the time, defeats the purpose though when someone rings me on the original number and I have to stop and take out the original phone from my pocket to answer.

My mobile is O2 on monthly bill (not sure if that would make any difference but just trying to pre-empt any questions)

Any clarity / assistance / direction / referrals would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    BMOT
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Harcrid

You can't have two sim's with the same number.

The only way to do it is to buy a second sim and put it in the car. Then set up call forwarding on your phone so that any unanswered call will get forwarded to the second number. If someone rings you while you are driving, then don't answer your phone and it will forward the call to your car sim which you can then answer. Works quite well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Celtxx wrote: »

The only way to do it is to buy a second sim and put it in the car. Then set up call forwarding on your phone so that any unanswered call will get forwarded to the second number. If someone rings you while you are driving, then don't answer your phone and it will forward the call to your car sim which you can then answer. Works quite well.

But then you have to set call forward EVERTIME you get into the car... still, probably the best idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Celtxx wrote: »

Technically you can but the service is not offered by any of the networks here.

Set up a Prepay SIM card in your car & set up the "divert if powered off" divert on your primary phone to divert to sim in car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 big mug of T

OP here again

Thanks to all for the feedback - much appreciated
    Looks like a second SIM on diverts is the only solution

BMOT

Advertisement