Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dust on sensor?

• 27-11-2008 5:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭

I think I have dust on the sensor of my Canon Rebel XT (350D). See the attached photos for an example (spot on upper left.) It has been there since original purchase.

Is dust on the sensor a correct diagnosis, and if so, what can I do about it? Can I self-clean this or are there people that do this? Any advice much appreciated.

th_dust01.jpg th_dust02.jpg th_dust03.jpg th_dust04.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Definitely looks like a dust bunny! There have been a couple of threads of late about sensor cleaning.

The consensus seems to be try first with a blower (something like a Giotto rocket blower) NOT a can of compressed air.

If this doesn't shift it, then a more involved method may be needed, ie, actually cleaning the sensor. I use the Copper Hill sensor cleaning kit and find it very good. Make sure the fluid you use is correct for your sensor, there's a list on their website.

If you're not brave (or stupid:D) enough to go at your own sensor, the reputable camera shops will do it for you at a price (not sure how much).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Huggy Bear

I'd like to add that I have used the "Copper Hill sensor cleaning kit" and it works a treat!

I had tried other Sensorswipes before I tried copperhill's kit and they did not get the dust off completely but when I got my hands on the Copperhill kit ... the dust disappeared...
    you just need to be sure to get the correct size Sensorswipe ... I think for the 350d It's type 2 ... but you will need to check it out yourself.

All the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Thanks guys, I have ordered a Giottos Rocket Blower from eBay and will give that a go first. Failing that it will be the Copper Hill sensor cleaning kit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

I meant to say that Copper Hill couldn't supply the fluid to go with their sensor cleaners from the US for some reason. I get mine from Surrey Photograpy on eBAy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

blorg wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I have ordered a Giottos Rocket Blower from eBay and will give that a go first. Failing that it will be the Copper Hill sensor cleaning kit!

Look at this tutorial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huOdzpl534k

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Normally I clean my sensor myself, but this time I decided to have it done. Just got the camera back today, so will test it tomorrow. This time, the sensor was really filthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Thanks again for the tips guys. My Giotto blower arrived from Hong Kong but I have just managed to move the dust slightly. I am presuming that mobile dust is a good sign though, I will persevere.

Advertisement