Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB upgrades on Ripwave service.

Options
  • 27-11-2008 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭

I pay €26.95 a month for my 1mb Ripwave BB service.

I went to the IBB website today to find that i can now get 2mb for the same price.

I have upgraded but have found 0 speed difference.

Has anyone else upgraded like this and find it better or worse?

http://www.irishbroadband.ie/products_display.php?id=8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Damo9090 wrote: »
    I pay €26.95 a month for my 1mb Ripwave BB service.

I went to the IBB website today to find that i can now get 2mb for the same price.

I have upgraded but have found 0 speed difference.

Has anyone else upgraded like this and find it better or worse?

http://www.irishbroadband.ie/products_display.php?id=8

This morning I opened my browser and got a walled message saying I'd exceeded my monthly limit of 10gigs(no way I could have done this browsing and downloading very little) rang up tech support and told me about the free upgrade to 2meg with a 20gig limit for the same price so said yeah go ahead....no difference in speed! I'm maxing at about 440 Kbs dl

also had a look at their website and it says 1m Ripwave is priced at 18.99 and 2m Ripwave priced at 26.99!

WTF I've been paying 27.99 for 1meg since August :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I upgraded on Thursday and i still have the orignal speed.

Going to ring them tomorrow.

It seems they have done away with their 512kbps.

I only pay €26.95 for the aparent 2mb i have atm.

I had the 512 ripwave about 3 or 4 yrs ago...used to get the same speeds I get with the 1meg and now supposed 2meg service! think they may be ripping us off :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

dogpile wrote: »
    also had a look at their website and it says 1m Ripwave is priced at 18.99 and 2m Ripwave priced at 26.99!

WTF I've been paying 27.99 for 1meg since August :confused:

Me too.. what's that about? I'm paying for Ripwave Plus 1mb for the past year.. 26.95??!

Tago Mago wrote: »
    Me too.. what's that about? I'm paying for Ripwave Plus 1mb for the past year.. 26.95??!

Go to their web page and upgrade to 2mb for the same price.

But be warned there is little or no speed difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Its contended, lol. Of course it isn't just contended, you would never get those speeds anyway on ripwave.

If they are upgrading you to those speeds, it is just because they can't sell it anymore at the current speeds and most people won't notice the speed hasn't increased so they are trying to take advantage of you and are assuming you aren't intelligent enough to do a speedtest.

See Digiweb speed increases that were absorbed by contention in some areas (only one or two reports to be fair). Its their attempts to compete (retain customers and not look completely obsolete) with UPC's (NTL) offering IMO and the lies won't work for long.

Tago Mago wrote: »

Was told by tech support I've been on 2meg all along(no one told me :cool:) when I signed up there was no 2meg advertised!

downgrade to 1meg is the only way till the contract is up...you'll never get 2meg speeds on this thing no way is it worth nearly an extra tenner

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Are there two physical versions of modem? One that does 200Kbps to 500kbps and one that can go twice the speed?

How do they do 2Mbps? Unless that's simply the sector speed?

navini's website is gone eaten by Cisco. Very hard to find any Ripwave specs. Only some Ripwave models upgrade to WiMax, and it may not make a huge difference to cell speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Since they brought in this cap business the service has become worthless to me; the unlimited downloads was the only thing it had going for it. I mean paying 26.95 a month for little better than a dial-up connection was bad enough but it was the only option. Sick of this crap, will just have to do without broadband and wait till I can move to another place. Think I'll downgrade to the zero package and send the blasted thing back! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

watty wrote: »
    navini's website is gone eaten by Cisco. Very hard to find any Ripwave specs. Only some Ripwave models upgrade to WiMax, and it may not make a huge difference to cell speeds.

Can still be found through some creative googling:

http://navini.com/Products/index.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

yes, some pages. But the juicy bits gone:

Please try the following:

* Contact the Web site administrator if you believe this directory should allow execute access.

HTTP Error 403.1 - Forbidden: Execute access is denied.
    Internet Information Services (IIS)

Upgraded since Thursday and still no speed increase, in-fact its slower by a good 50KB/s.

Haven't had a chance to call because of work hours.

I hope they don't think my contract has been extended by another year because i cant cope with this dial up speed anymore!

Moving to Dublin after Christmas so hopefully i can get hooked up to proper broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Sounds to me like a simple and easy way for them to get you to change contract and I'm guessing its because of their change to the bandwidth limit.

Advertisement