Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Small Business Server 2008 on a W2K domain?

• 27-11-2008 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi,

We have a W2K controlled domain with @25 users. Our current mail server (Softtalk Mail Server) is becoming more trouble than it's worth, and so we've decided we're going to go for Exchange.

We could get Small Business Server for about the same price as Exchange, but as we have a W2K controlled domain already in place, can we set up SBS as just another machine in the network and will it play nice with W2K servers?

All 2 cents' welcome! : )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Afaik, SBS has to be a domain controller and must be the only domain controller for that domain. I don't think you can join it to an existing domain as a member server.

Exchange is a very expensive solution for such a small number of users. It's nice to have the whole thing AD-integrated, but have you looked at any other solutions?

Hmail Server for example includes Active Directory integration so you don't have to mess about with passwords and the like. I've found it to be excellent, but granted I haven't used it in a production environment. It also includes APIs and such so that you can automate the creation of new users and fancy things like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭onechewy

Normally I would defo go for the freeware/opensource options, but we've had so many bad experiences with our current system (like all mails suddenly being viewable in all inboxes!) that we're willing to pay the price for enterprise level software that can instill a bit of confidence from the start. I don't have experience of Exchange myself, but I can't think of any bad press I've heard. Also, even though there's only 25 users, we have a massive amount of email traffic and nearly 100 shared IMAP folders with all sorts of filtering and configuration going on, so max capability is needed. I'm sure the hMailServer has got great functionality, but I think it's just time for us to go the whole hog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Not quite correct, SBS 2008 must be the root DC but you can have an additional DC if you want to. That additional DC has to be a non-SBS server like Windows Server 2008 Standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭onechewy

or Windows 2000 Standard...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Or 2000 or 2003. Misread the original post as 2008.

• Advertisement
Advertisement