Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just back from a dealer who said....

Options
  • 27-11-2008 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

The are three types of cars, good ones, iffy ones, and scanger cars. His of course was a good one.
    Asked me did I know anything about cars to which I said no. Before I could tell him I had a good mechanic that I always use, he said I will end up buying one that has been welded together.
    He said the market will get better after Xmas and that cars wont come down anymore than they have. He also said he was getting out of the game in Spring :confused:
    All imports are clocked! Actually he went into more detail about the type of people who import cars but I will keep that to myself.

Best bit.... he only just got the car in and is selling it for less than he paid :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Dazzy wrote: »
    Asked me did I know anything about cars to which I said no.

You put yourself at an immediate disadvantage if you ever say that to a seller

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

If he asked a potential customer whether they knew anything about cars, it says more about him than anything else...

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Best bit.... he only just got the car in and is selling it for less than he paid :confused:

Prob lied about only getting it, but most dealers are selling cars at a loss now.
    Might aswell blow them out now at a loss then blow them out at a bigget loss in 2-3 months time

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

Its only just gone on Carzone so I'd be fairly sure he just got it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Dazzy - where did you meet this comedian?

• Advertisement

I met him at his house in Dublin as it near where I work. He has a garage in Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Number one

He sounds like a complete cowboy.

Post a link to the carzone ad so we can critique its merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Did he tell you it had a pussy magnet fitted from the factory and that the tyres were made of Liquorice?

Car dealers telling the truth is as about likely daniel o donnell popping a cap in brendan shines ass! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

tossy wrote: »
    Did he tell you it had a pussy magnet fitted from the factory and that the tyres were made of Liquorice?

Car dealers telling the truth is as about likely daniel o donnell popping a cap in brendan shines ass! :D

Noice! *high five*

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

tossy wrote: »

:eek:

We're not all complete bull ****ters:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

micmclo wrote: »

That depends. If I am buying anything, especially a car I act rather stupid.

If you know more than the seller thinks you know you will put him at a disadvantage very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

:eek:

We're not all complete bull ****ters:P

To be fair, you are correct limerick-man, not all are the same. In fact, I remember listening to a man in a certain garage selling cars, who was totally genuine and I said to myself, If I was buying a car, I would buy from him.
    However, since the celtic pussy cat, there have been many boys sent to do mens work. In the form of sales men.
    All too common to see bad reports of sales people (not only in the car industry either) and I have first hand experience of this myself.
    I really hope the good guys will survive next year. Its not fair on the genuine sales men.
    The way I see it, all good bosses will get rid of the bullsh1tters, liars and lazy pr1cks frist. Hopefully we will all be left with the genuine guys at the end of it all.
    Wishful, but hopefull at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 buddygit

I have a car that was left to me by my dad - it is an 06 reg with 25K on the clock. I don't want to drive it as it reminds me too much of my dad but what i have been offered for it is ridulous. All I hear is that "everything is dropping in price" someone somewhere is making money out of all of this.

buddygit wrote: »
    I have a car that was left to me by my dad - it is an 06 reg with 25K on the clock. I don't want to drive it as it reminds me too much of my dad but what i have been offered for it is ridulous. All I hear is that "everything is dropping in price" someone somewhere is making money out of all of this.

Not neccessarily, that's just the way it is. There a few threads, some even stickied, that would help you with this situation. Post up there what it is etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Bet he is SIMI registered.:D

Take your wallet and run.

not everything. still plenty of retailers shoving up the price on stuff. vending machines, insurance all going up

sometimes it seems that only second hand goods that you own are going down in value but everything else is going up

Bet he is SIMI registered.:D

Take your wallet and run.

Just TRIED to check on the SIMI website but I can't find any link to who their memebers are. In fact the home page only has new car tax rates and no link to other content on the site :confused:

More of my conversation with the dealer is coming back to me.... he also told me that two millionaires were the two previous owners. This was in response to my question about wheather it had a FSH, i.e. how could it not if two millionaires owned it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

micmclo wrote: »

Not true, you'd be amazed the absolute horse sh*te people will come out with when they think you don't know any better!

Just TRIED to check on the SIMI website but I can't find any link to who their memebers are. In fact the home page only has new car tax rates and no link to other content on the site :confused:

And you wonder why the industry is fu*ked when the representative organisation doesn't even have a website!?!

Darragh29 wrote: »
    And you wonder why the industry is fu*ked when the representative organisation doesn't even have a website!?!

They're probably controlled by freemasons and the NWO

• Advertisement

towel401 wrote: »
    They're probably controlled by freemasons and the NWO

I don't know much about Freemasonry but I doubt they would be associated with this gang of idiots!

TO LIMERICKMAN.-
    It is an O6 Volvo S40, leather seats, 24500 K on clock, really looked after like it was a baby LOL. Was offered €12k. My dad passed away suddenly in August and my mom in September so I can't drive it. I checked online and the same models of the same vintage ( but with more mileage) are selling for €22/€23k.

Back when the new tax rates were being intoduced - i checked the SIMI website and all I got for my trouble was a nasty virus :mad:

TO LIMERICKMAN.-
    It is an O6 Volvo S40, leather seats, 24500 K on clock, really looked after like it was a baby LOL. Was offered €12k. My dad passed away suddenly in August and my mom in September so I can't drive it. I checked online and the same models of the same vintage ( but with more mileage) are selling for €22/€23k.

Very sorry to hear.

You didn't mention engine size, but i don't think little mileage would justify 7K when you can buy this for 14k maybe less on a straight deal. What engine is in the car?
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volvo/S40/1.8-LEAT/200846190827519/advert

Very sorry to hear.

You didn't mention engine size, but i don't think little mileage would justify 7K when you can buy this for 14k maybe less on a straight deal. What engine is in the car?
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volvo/S40/1.8-LEAT/200846190827519/advert
    1.8 (sorry for not quoting - I am new to all this)

1.8 (sorry for not quoting - I am new to all this)

So can you see where they got the value from? It i was just buying the car from you, i wouldn't offer much more than they did. Shop around though. A 1.8 petrol car is going to be a hard sale when it can be got in diesel. Which is all people are after, high mpg cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I checked online and the same models of the same vintage ( but with more mileage) are selling for €22/€23k.

Are you sure they are actually selling? A lot of people overestimate the value of their own car. When I sold my car recently, someone had the same model as mine, one year newer (mine was 02), undesirable colour, same spec and similar mileage. They were asking for almost twice what mine sold for. Check those same ads regularly and see if they actually sold for 22/23k.

And if they are selling, are they private sales or dealer sales? Buyers are usually willing to pay significantly more to dealers because of warranties, peace of mind etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Not true, you'd be amazed the absolute horse sh*te people will come out with when they think you don't know any better!

I sort of agree. How is you looking dumb going to get a better deal? Don't get the logic...

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Here is the reason why you (not you personally) should not let the salesman know that you know anything about cars , well it,s what i have discovered anyway. regardless of what you think you know about buying and selling cars (and maybe you know a lot) then any good salesman knows a lot more . there is no point in you thinking that you are smarter than him by quoting a or b , he has heard all these stories before and has all the answers, he has heard these stories a thousand times , so just keep your counsel to yourself and say very little.

• Advertisement

quarryman wrote: »
    I sort of agree. How is you looking dumb going to get a better deal? Don't get the logic...

I love going in to look at a car and acting like a geek... My fav two questions are "what's ABS?" and "what's EGR?"...

Some folks understand ABS by now, but holy fu*k, EGR, "Eh, that's where the engine keeps exhaust gases in a small little canister in the boot to help your car start on cold mornings"....

Tis gas when your a mechanic! :D:D:D

Advertisement