Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moneenageisha PLC Courses?

• 27-11-2008 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭

I don't suppose anyone here has done a PLC course in Moneenageisha have they?

How does it compare to the GTI?

Thinking of doing a PLC there next year, anyone got any insight into it whether it be good, bad or indifferent?

Are the teachers there good? What are the hours like typically?

Do they have a good guidance counsellor there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

I'm doing one there at the moment ironically:)

Teaching is very very good Students get helped on a one to one basis which means you shouldn't have too much diffciulty with the course early on. There are different modules for each course obviously so you be kept busy with the continious assement!.

As for Hours I only have one full day a week the rest are half days but it depends on what course you;e doin I guess. Because it's continious assement you will find you tend to need the halfdays to catch up on your work or Projects etc ! I'm doing Print Journalism coming out of secondary school and I find that despite the work involved it's far more relaxed then Leaving Cert year

Not many other information I can think off at the moment other that a PLC course is worth up to 400 CAO points so it is defintely worth the benefit:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Oh wow, that's brilliant!

Thanks so much for replying, that's really helpful.

Tbh, I didn't actually realise that Moneen did PLC courses til the other day, I thought it was just the GTI that did them.

It's Print Journalism that I'd actually like to do!

It's been a while since I did my leaving and I'm still not sure what I want to do in college (Journalism figures high!) so rather than starting a course and finding out I don't like it, or it's not for me, I'd rather spend a year doing a PLC course and hopefully find out what my likes/dislikes are..

I'm also hoping they have a good career guidance counsellor who could help me find out what path I'd like to take as I'm very unsure.

That sounds brilliant though! And the continuous assessment is a great idea so you don't have one major exam at the end of the year which can make or break you.

What's this about a PLC course being worth 400 points, how does that work?

Do you like Print Journalism? Do you get to go on any work experience or anything?

Thanks again for the info, you've been really helpful x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Yeah I have to say I love Print Journalism at the moment but thats because I've always wanted to be involved in that type of course. In my Leaving Cert I had nowhere near the type of points required for a College Journalism course and my 2nd and 3rd choices never englightened me so a PLC I decided was the best thing.

Work Expererience is mandatory and there's a minimum of 8 days that you participate in. Unlike the Film and TV course you have to get your own which might be challenging. Still have to get mine sorted:(.

The career guidance Teacher is very helpful actually he gave a talk the other day on basically the outline of the CAO and how easy it is to fill it out online. In Print Journalism there is 8 modules each worth 50 points each or 400 points maximum which means if you get your distinctions you'll be in a good position to go to college. Some of the modules I find fascinating like Writing Skills Media Analysis or Technical Skills but others can be a drag.

But yeah if you're not sure what to do with you're life or would like to find out more about yourself a PLC Course is defintely worth it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Moinin for the win!!! :D

It's the reason I'm in my final year of a degree in film and tv.

Without that PLC I would have ended up doing something I didn't want.

Invaluable experience... would highly recommend it to anyone.

Advertisement