Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mouse recommendation

Options
  • 27-11-2008 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭

I've had the bog standard Dell optical mouse that came with my PC for 4 years, but that's acting up a bit and it's time for a new one, so I figure I may as well splash out on a decent one. After looking around a fair bit, I'm leaning towards either the Logitech G5 (45.30 delivered, from Elara), or the Logitech Mx518 (36.34 delivered, from MicroAid).

I've ruling out the G9 because a) I'm not mad about the look of it, and b) the gf is probably going to be using it a bit for general use, and I can't see her going for it.

I know the 518 is older, but there still seems to be a lot of love out there for it. I'm not sure how useful the adjustable weights on the G5 are going to be. Do people use the on-the-fly DPI adjust much?

Other thing is some reviews seem to indicate that the G5 is a bit on the big side, but I can't find measurements for it anywhere. Given I'm used to the standard mouse side, I don't want to get something massive.

So:
    - Is the G5 that much better (and bigger) than the 518? Or is it all down to a personal thing?
    - Are there any alternatives (besides the G9) I should be looking at?
    - I've also checked Dabs, Komplett, Peats (!!), Pixmania and Expansys, anywhere else I've missed that might be cheaper?
    - Anywhere in town that I could try them out?

Any recommendations welcome, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just to point out, I've been using the standard mouse - the types that either come with a machine or are gotten cheaply after market - for about 12 years now. I've gotten so used to the shape and feel of them that when I recently decided hell, it's time for a real mouse after all the money I'm investing in my machines, and the fact I use the Arrow keys over WASD in FPS titles limits me severely in terms of accessible keys so I thought a better mouse would help out with this. Tried several, hated all of them, couldn't get used to them at all, was diabolical in games. Tried giving them a 'break-in' period but it just wasn't happening. Went back to the old bog standard optical and all was well again. I've since tried again, but same story. Just doesn't feel right. I have to admit I suffer in some games because I can't map enough keys (most games have to go without a Melee key :( ) but...

It's a Logitech M-UV55a, had it years now. I was reading through forums once and discovered a few pro's using it. :D

Not that you shouldn't buy a decent mouse, but if you're been using a basic one for over a decade like myself, you might be a little shocked at how alien anything else is...

Advertisement