Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW ///M Models To Go Forced Induction

Options
  • 27-11-2008 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I think the rumours of this happening have been around for some time, I guess it's inevitable it's going to happen.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20081126/FREE/811269993
    Tough emissions standards worldwide and soaring manufacturing costs in Germany are behind BMW's decision to switch from high-revving, naturally aspirated engines in its M high-performance vehicles to turbocharged direct-injection powerplants, beginning as early as next year.

The move, which could alter the character of BMW M models, places question marks over the immediate future of the M3's 4.0-liter V8 and the M5's 5.0-liter V10. Both engines will make way for forced-induction engines in coming years, according to high-ranking BMW sources.

The first M vehicle to make the move to the new turbo powerplants is the X6 xDrive M, which will challenge the Porsche Cayenne GTS and the Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG.

Set to appear next June, the X6 xDrive M will be the first model to run BMW M's new twin-turbocharged V8. This engine is also earmarked for the next-generation M5, due out in late 2010.

Based on the standard X6 xDrive 5.0i's 4.4-liter 90-degree V8, the new twin-turbo unit is said to match the current M5's naturally aspirated 5.0-liter V10 for power at 500 hp, while providing as much as 516 lb-ft of torque.

This should be enough to provide the M-powered X6 with 0-to-60 mph acceleration of less than 5 seconds and top speed limited to 155 mph.

"In terms of overall performance, the new engine doesn't give anything away to the powerplant we run now, but it delivers much better consumption and lower emissions," a senior BMW M official told AutoWeek.

The move comes as Mercedes-Benz's AMG performance unit is planning to turbocharge its 6.2-liter V8 when it introduces direct injection in 2010.

Besides developing new turbocharged engines, BMW's M division is also planning to equip new models with features such as automatic stop/start and brake regeneration in a bid to cut fuel consumption and emissions.

BMW is also testing a new driveline incorporating technology from next year's X6 ActiveHybrid, with a nickel-metal-hydride battery pack used to power an electric motor to boost performance levels.

Is BMW losing more of the ultimate driving machine credentials or will this mean better driving machines?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I prefer the high end N/A engines, lots of rev's to play with. BMW are going down the Japanese route engine wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Problem is, lots of revs = lots of fuel being burned. With a turbo, the revs are lower, so when full performance isn't needed, the engine doesnt need as much fuel to give half it's best.

You're still going to burn through it at a rate of gallons if you're giving it full whack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Plug wrote: »
    I prefer the high end N/A engines, lots of rev's to play with. BMW are going down the Japanese route engine wise.

Are Jap high performance cars are not typical N/A? E.g. Honda VTEC, Mitsui Mivec's, Toyota VVTi, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

jayok wrote: »
    Are Jap high performance cars are not typical N/A? E.g. Honda VTEC, Mitsui Mivec's, Toyota VVTi, etc?

I was just about to say the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They are only drivers cars when those f*ucking runflats are in the skip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

mitsui mivec, toyota vvti are not high performance Jap cars
    evo, sti, gtr, supra = high performance Jap cars = single or twin turbo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

jozi wrote: »
    I think the rumours of this happening have been around for some time, I guess it's inevitable it's going to happen.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20081126/FREE/811269993

Is BMW losing more of the ultimate driving machine credentials or will this mean better driving machines?

While some purists will bemoan the loss of naturally aspirated engines in favour of turbo charging, I think it was inevitable.

The next M5 will still have a 4.4 litre V8, so it will still be a rather large engine. I don't really see how the "there's no replacement for displacement" argument holds there, 0.6 litres is not really a lot on engines that large at all.

I would much rather see the M5 go back to a V8 or even a straight 6 than have no M5 at all. V10s are nice but the size of the engines in these fast German saloons was really going crazy there for a while, and was never going to last. They could go down the AMG route and add diesels, but even in these times that's unlikely. Not that really would be a sell out as far as I'm concerned.

They're also talking about making petrol hybrid M models from 2011 as well, again I don't really have much of a problem once the petrol engine has plenty of power and makes a good noise and doesn't have a CVT gearbox like a Prius.

BMW's twin turbo petrols have had heaps of praise leaped on to the point that some are wondering is the 335i faster than the E46 M3 so what's to stop the twin turbo models from being as good if not even better if they let them rev 700 or 800 rpm higher than the non M twin turbo models.

BMW are planning a new M1, and that will be using the straight 6 from the 335i.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

It is a departure for BMW as the M3 and M5 didn't even have Vanos before.

It will be interesting to see how they maintain the throttle responce (vs turbo lag) that has always been so important to M cars. Knowing BMW they will probably come up with something clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,115 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

mickdw wrote: »
    They are only drivers cars when those f*ucking runflats are in the skip.

m cars arent fitted with run flats

Advertisement