Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fragility of Nokia thin chargers?

• 27-11-2008 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Does it drive anyone else insane? I understand that will careful usage they should be OK but they're still the most fragile charger I've had used, and ridiculously so i.e minor rough movement can break or bend it. In comparison, most other chargers I've had last me for years no problem - clearing out drawers lately revealed about 10 old Nokia chargers in A1 condition. But these news ones....we've got a 6300, 2x2630 and my N80 in the house - and we're on our final charger between us, the rest bent/snapped off.

So frustrating, that I'm really thinking of getting another brand with a more sturdy charger....but I do love Nokia...currently using a portable charger for my N80, but it takes forever to charge and uses several rechargeable to do so...perhaps its time to go back to my old 6680/6600 phones...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Drives my workmate and I mad.
    We're pretty sure that it's by design.
    That's why I'd never pay full price for an OEM charger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

Broke two before so i moved to Sony Err

Charges are very study with Sony Err

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,025 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They made the charger socket smaller to support a more efficient use of space inside the phones. Unfortunately due to the size of the materials used they have turned out to be easier to damage than the previous model.

But as with everything if you treat it with care it will last. People are far to willing to pull and push everything in this day and age and expect everything to be indestructable. Its part and parcel of the "i want it but i want it quick and now" mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I agree, the newer ones brake quite easy. A handy fix is use the old charger with one of these. Could order a few to have as spares, and very cheap with free shipping

listermint wrote: »
    They made the charger socket smaller to support a more efficient use of space inside the phones. Unfortunately due to the size of the materials used they have turned out to be easier to damage than the previous model.

If this really was the case why wouldn't they do charging through the great big USB socket on most of the new phones ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

listermint wrote: »

But as with everything if you treat it with care it will last. People are far to willing to pull and push everything in this day and age and expect everything to be indestructable. Its part and parcel of the "i want it but i want it quick and now" mentality.

I completely agree! My first e61 charger 'died' within 2 days - but it was inside the plug that sth gave up, not the pin! The next one is still in frequent use. 2 1/2 years later!!!
    And btw, yes, the plugs on SE's chargers are sturdier but imho the sockets aren't ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

long_b wrote: »
    If this really was the case why wouldn't they do charging through the great big USB socket on most of the new phones ?

That's coming on all future nokey-pokeys in the, err, future. I think the n85 does it already?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

They are complete muck in comparison to the old ones. I've not had as many problems with them recently though - so maybe they're getting better? Or maybe I've just been lucky.

davton wrote: »
    I agree, the newer ones brake quite easy. A handy fix is use the old charger with one of these. Could order a few to have as spares, and very cheap with free shipping

Handy alright, but I find this arrangement won't charge my E61 fully, It'll charge it to nearly full, but then it stops charging.

Handy alright, but I find this arrangement won't charge my E61 fully, It'll charge it to nearly full, but then it stops charging.

never had this problem myself. Does it show a bar missing?
    Random wrote: »
    They are complete muck in comparison to the old ones. I've not had as many problems with them recently though - so maybe they're getting better? Or maybe I've just been lucky.

I have noticed, that one type of the slim charger is better than another. This one which has a very small plug and the wire comes from the top is better than This one which has slightly bigger plug and the wire comes from the corner.

• Advertisement

davton wrote: »
    never had this problem myself. Does it show a bar missing?

Yeah. maybe two I think. It'll say "Charging" but then just stop. No biggie, but a little annoying.

Yeah. maybe two I think. It'll say "Charging" but then just stop. No biggie, but a little annoying.

Have you try another old charger? That sounds real strange, and would it not be the charger rather than the CA-44 adapter

Seems common enough.

http://www.nokme.com/e61-not-charging-115.html

I don't think it was the adaptor, I think that sometimes the old chargers don't work with the new phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

You can buy adaptors cheaply enough on ebay which allow you use the old charger. I agree with you (OP) about the fragility.
    10 adaptors for €20 or 1 for €4 is what I can see

http://cgi.ebay.ie/10-X-Nokia-Charger-Adapter-Coverter-Old-to-New-Charger_W0QQitemZ260319433764QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MobilePhones_MobilePhoneAccessories_MobilePhoneChargers?hash=item260319433764&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

I posted THIS LINK earlier in the thread, they cost €1.30 each including delivery.

Advertisement