Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How am I going to get out of this one??

• 27-11-2008 6:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭

Right I currently got fired from one of the top retail grocery stores, just part-time work. Anyways, it started on a Sunday when I clocked into work intending to complete my shift, half an hour later I was paintballing at a friends 21st(they kidnapped me), after paintballing(6 hours later) i creep back into work to see if im caught, I see my manager looking around for me and freak out! Thats when I clocked out and escaped home safely only to arrive a week later for work and be told im being done for de -frauding the company(and me with my big worked up excuse). So now I have to go in for a meeting(tomorrow- help) where ill have a union rep representing me, all sounds very serious... Why have'nt they just rid of me and thats the end of it?? A little confused and quietly scared...

Right so basically what would you do/say??

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Nappy wrote: »
    Right I currently got fired from one of the top retail grocery stores, just part-time work. Anyways, it started on a Sunday when I clocked into work intending to complete my shift, half an hour later I was paintballing at a friends 21st(they kidnapped me), after paintballing(6 hours later) i creep back into work to see if im caught, I see my manager looking around for me and freak out! Thats when I clocked out and escaped home safely only to arrive a week later for work and be told im being done for de -frauding the company(and me with my big worked up excuse). So now I have to go in for a meeting(tomorrow- help) where ill have a union rep representing me, all sounds very serious... Why have'nt they just rid of me and thats the end of it?? A little confused and quietly scared...

Got what you deserved to be honest. What did you expect would happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Show up at the meeting and keep repeating "I no speaky tha Inglisch" when referred to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Tell them that you were traumatised because the manager fondled your arse in the store-room and that you had to escape his evil clutches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Be honest, beg leniency, there's always hope:rolleyes:

Edit: actually what ejmaztec said could work (if you can cast aside ruining his career :P )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Em.... Are you really expecting to get away with that?? Come on in fairness?

• Advertisement

it's different to not turning up, clocking in and fucking off is more serious..

ah you shouldn't have clocked out, number one rule if you're working in a job like that, if you leave early, don't clock out, then tell them you "forgot"

they didn't fire you because they have to make sure they go through the correct procedures so that they don't get themselves in trouble, especially with the union. The union rep is there for you mostly, not them. You probably won't get fired, you'll just get a written warning I'd say.

So, was paintballing fun???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Say sorry and apply to FAS.

You should fit in well there.

Bring in a doll and use it to show where your boss was touching you...

"and then he made me stick my finger up the baaaadd place"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Worst can happen is they fire you. The reason for all the cloak and dagger stuff with union reps is so you don't take a case afterwards for unfair dismissal and they want to make sure that they have all their info correct. Just make some excuse why you had to leave and stick to that. Sh!t happens.

Apart from that as someone has mentioned already, you asked for it! Jobs are hard enough to comeby nowadays.

Oh and... get some new friends that aren't capable of kidnapping. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Okay so please just answer the following question:

The company that I should send my CV to is ..................?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Say nothing. Your Fvcked now anyway.

If you worked for me I would sack you on the grounds of gross dereliction of duties, possibly leaving the shop unsercure. Certain stores need a certain number of staff on duty in order for the Insurance to be valid.

You might need to prove to your boss that you are trustworthy because he probably doubts you are after pissing off.

In addition to the above, if I were your boss I'd kill you in a horrible and fantastic manner, then display your head on a spike outside the shop. I'd carve your tattered cadaver into quarters and send them to the four corners of the premises, and use your innards as festive decorations. As for your manhood, I would have no use for such a tiny article...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

You shouldnt have clocked out. Now instead of thinking you skived off for the day they think you skived off for the day yet expected to get paid for it too.

Tell 'em you've got narcolepsy and that you fell into a freezer, before being bought and taken home by a half-blind biddy thinking that she'd got a cheap roast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Paid while paint balling the clock?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

Right thanks I suppose to all your replys, dont have acting skills for the sexual harassment claims..

Jeez smart bug, hope ur not my boss, will there be any legal implications? Can they bring me to court or anything like that?? If its any constellation to the ppl who sent the hate mail, I got shot up pretty bad in paintballing??

Ill let you know how it goes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

all i can say is...you're a muppet. enjoy the recession.

out of interest, how exactly were you "kidnapped"?assuming its the type of work im thinking of, im sure someone would have noticed your wild flailing and screaming as you tried desperately to escape your assailants so you could resume working?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

If you think you will be fired, hell just resign and avoid the meeting. If you still want the job and you think the meeting is about a warning the you had better have a good excuse i.e. Not the kidnapped for paintball story. Even still they might fire you regardless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Have you actually been fired already? Or are they calling you into this meeting with the sole purpose of being fired?

If you've already been fired, then if it was me I wouldn't bother going to the meeting.

Let them deduct the days wages you went paintballing from your other wages and leave it at that.

Don't expect a reference though..!

Btw, how long were you actually in the job before this happened?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

If its any constellation to the ppl who sent the hate mail, I got shot up pretty bad in paintballing??

Are you asking us or telling us?
    Oh and what have stars got to do with any of this?

Good luck with the job hunting BTW...

you have more chance of keeping your job than Mary Harney has of doing 15mins on the threadmill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

If you are past your probation period, you need to be given a verbal and written warning before dismissal I believe. I've been fired twice, both were the best thing that ever happened me.
    I learned from them and went on to far better jobs after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Dude, you'll be sacked. But you will get paid. I wouldn't count on a good reference.

Chalk it down to experience. You are an adult now, expect to be expected to behave like one. Sadly, this means no more fun :(

JæKæ wrote: »
    If you are past your probation period, you need to be given a verbal and written warning before dismissal I believe. I've been fired twice, both were the best thing that ever happened me.
    I learned from them and went on to far better jobs after

you should have learned the first time :p

Wertz wrote: »
    Are you asking us or telling us?

I think he's telling us in 'Australian English' where everything is spoken in the form of a question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Simple solution but if its a tile or concrete floor in the office youre gonna need kneepads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Just don't go to the meeting... You'll be sacked obviously, but that's probably as far as it'll go... Supermarkets don't have time to be messing around with silly sh*t like this.

Note: this is not legal advice. Dave! accepts no responsibility for death or injury resulting from following this advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭pallepille

ive done worse in work and got away with it man, just about though. The only slight possibility of getting away with this as in keeping your job id say would be to lie and say that you got a phonecall saying something really bad happened (personal issues) and you absolutely had to be there it was so serious, and u were "so shook up" by the whole thing that u werent acting urself which is why you fcuked off wen u seen boss. Be prepared to say something majorly embarrasing tho the reason would need to be very good. There are certain guidelines that need to be followed before they sack u ya know.

• Advertisement

you should have learned the first time :p

Oh I learned alright, and rose phoenix-like from the flames. The second one was out of my hands-worked with 2 cuunts.

JæKæ wrote: »
    Oh I learned alright, and rose phoenix-like from the flames. The second one was out of my hands-worked with 2 cuunts.

if you're the kettle, I'm the pot!

pallepille wrote: »
    ive done worse in work and got away with it man, just about though. The only slight possibility of getting away with this as in keeping your job id say would be to lie and say that you got a phonecall saying something really bad happened (personal issues) and you absolutely had to be there it was so serious, and u were "so shook up" by the whole thing that u werent acting urself which is why you fcuked off wen u seen boss. Be prepared to say something majorly embarrasing tho the reason would need to be very good. There are certain guidelines that need to be followed before they sack u ya know.

You just have to remember not to duplicate a close dead relative, because there is such a limited supply for future use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

No have'nt been fired yet and yes still on probation, I dont mind losing job. Its just I dont undestand why its necessary for this meeting, Why have'nt they just fired me? Regarding the kidnapping, they got me in car park and there was no struggle....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Smear black shoe polish all over face and hands,when addressed just shrug your shoulders and ask "is it coz i eeeeez black?" repeatedly.
    Problem sorted...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Probably best if you apply to the Paintball place for your next job....the chances of your mates "kidnapping" you and bringing you to the supermarket would be pretty slim.

• Advertisement

No have'nt been fired yet and yes still on probation, I dont mind losing job. Its just I dont undestand why its necessary for this meeting, Why have'nt they just fired me? Regarding the kidnapping, they got me in car park and there was no struggle....

don't got to the meeting then. give them the weeks notice and ring in sick for the week so you don't have to go in. This is probably what they want you to do anyway, saves the whole uniony thing for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Charcoal

Your company is following fair procedure in accordance with the principles of "natural justice" - they will outline the allegation against you, and you will be given a chance to respond to the allegation. You are entitled to representation, which is why your union rep will be present. You will probably be fired on the grounds of gross misconduct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Tell them you have a AIDS and have only weeks to live.

If they fire you they are heartless bastards.

What happens in a few weeks i hear you ask when you are still alive sll bright eyed and bushey tailed and still employed?

Simple.. tell them you got diagnoised in a hospital in Portlaoise and it was actualy only an ingrown toe you had - they made a mistake.

perfectly plausable

snyper wrote: »
    Simple.. tell them you got diagnoised in a hospital in Portlaoise and it was actualy only an ingrown toe you had - they made a mistake.

perfectly plausable

eeeeewwwwwww

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

eeeeewwwwwww

camel toe

big mess

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Tell em some dirty old man came into the supermarket just after you started your shift, and gave you a danza slap while you were stacking the shelves.You left the shop in horror,before spending the next 6 hours wandering around the town, inflicted with sticky blindness.

I can tell you for fact this is 100% fool proof and will get you major sympathy....or provide a few lulz for the boss before he sends your ass into recession...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

Dont bother turning up to the meeting, your going to get fired anyway and the last thing you need is some manager going ...I will TCB, as they say in the States. I will "take care of business."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

No point telling the OP he deserved it etc... he's wondering what the meeting with the union rep etc is about. Personally, I don't know the answer to that question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭villager

ejmaztec wrote: »
    You just have to remember not to duplicate a close dead relative, because there is such a limited supply for future use.

just ask stephen ireland:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Granny Lover

Dont think it will be that bad once that was the only time you did it but you should have had a bit more will power and said no to ur friends. think ur getting wat was coming to u

quit it wit da txt spk

pls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

The appointment is just procedure! Dont worry with that at all. To be given any warning now the correct procedure is a written request to attend a meeting with your relevant boss and a member of personel more than likely a HR official.
    They have probably notified the Union Rep so as to have them handy if you want them etc.
    You are probably looking at a last warning scenario but if you keep your head it should be ok.
    The person that you are directly under probably has had his fair amount of run ins with his next in command who will probably be hearing this meeting. See if you can just tell them that you had a rather embarressing situation with something and you are not really happy to share with them at this point in time. This will prolong the event and give you some sort of personality to the protaganists. The longer it goes on the harder it is to say the words "You are sacked".
    Promise the sun moon and stars claiming that your career in the shop is your main concern and ensure that anything like it will never happen again.

Best of luck

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

If its Woolworths, disregard all of the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

If you worked for me I would sack you on the grounds of gross dereliction of duties,
    I would accept you sacking me, right after you derelicked my balls!

Seriously though OP, you said your friends kidknapped you? In this climate, holding on to a job is more importing than friends. Report them to the police, get them charged, while in the meantime you can enjoy life back in....wherever you work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Your boss is just pissed off that you didn't invite him, do it again next week and invite him this time, he might even pay for you :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement