Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Air Tightness Membranes and Tapes course

• 27-11-2008 7:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

Hi I have just finished this course and would highly recomend it to anyone with an interest in this area. It only costs €50 and is better than the BER course i have spent €1800 on. It only lasts a day and is in the midlands so convenient for everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Sparky78

can you pm me the details please.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Sounds interesting - and good value.

can you also pm me the details please.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Can you also pm me please. Ta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

And me please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭4400kevin

Details please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 gooner

please pm me the details. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Longford Leader

Fair play to you Topcat, for letting everybody know.
    Could you pm me the details
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 sleazycreep

topcat sounds interesting could you pm me some details please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I got an email about it today, throw out some dates for next year and we'll see if we can have a boards airtightness day!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 sleazycreep

No 6, who runs the course do they have a website? interested your boards airtightness day would like to see some details!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭murphyep

Hi,
    Can you PM me with details please?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Try here for the brochure ttp://www.siga.ch/pdf/KM4511_Einl_Academy_IRL.pdf

I think I'll go for Feb sometime!!:D I was supposed to be going to Switzerland next week with them but I had to cancel due to the recession :mad: Mountrath will have to do!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Chimpster

We co ran an Air Tightness workshop in Galway this morning with Andreas from SIGA.

Very impressive and well worth while for anybody who is trying to design low energy dwellings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭MacTheKnife1

Chimpster wrote: »
    We co ran an Air Tightness workshop in Galway this morning with Andreas from SIGA.

Very impressive and well worth while for anybody who is trying to design low energy dwellings.

Hi,

Can you tell me if you are running any more courses in Galway/Mayo area soon. WOuld love to attend such a course.

Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jutter_110

hi.
    I would also be intrested in course in galway area.
    jutter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭ardara1

I've asked this question an number of times - but failed to get an answer.

Can anyone who has used these taping systems tell me what air permeability they actually achieved when the job was finished?

And here's another one - for thise that have tested WITHOUT using the taping systems - what did you achieve?

ardara1 wrote: »
    I've asked this question an number of times - but failed to get an answer.

Can anyone who has used these taping systems tell me what air permeability they actually achieved when the job was finished?

And here's another one - for thise that have tested WITHOUT using the taping systems - what did you achieve?

I tested a timber frame house with tapes and membranes installed and got 1.35 m3/hr/m2.

I tested a block house with membrane from wall plate to wall plate and windows taped. I got 2.20 m3/hr/m2.

I tested a block house with no tapes and no membrane but built by a very carefull builder who I gave some guidance on. I got 2.27 m3/hr/m2. The question here is, if I went back in a years times when the plaster has set and the house house dried out, would I get the same result????

I have tested many houses with no tapes or membranes and I have got varied results from 2.27 to 14 m3/hr/m2.

Jutter & Mac

We may run another half day course on air tightness guidance in January/Feburary. Fridays session involved a 30 minute presentation on air tightness testing and a 2 hour work shop by Siga on achieving air tightness.

Will you please PM me on this.

Thanks.

Mod edit: Please PM contact details.

Chimpster wrote: »
    I tested a timber frame house with tapes and membranes installed and got 1.35 m3/hr/m2.
    I tested a block house with membrane from wall plate to wall plate and windows taped. I got 2.20 m3/hr/m2.

Great Result
    I tested a block house with no tapes and no membrane but built by a very carefull builder who I gave some guidance on. I got 2.27 m3/hr/m2. The question here is, if I went back in a years times when the plaster has set and the house house dried out, would I get the same result????

As for the taped house - what will happen in a years time there - Lets assume that the permeability worsens by say 100% to 4.5 - your DEAP score on an A3 house goes from KW/Hr/m2/yr = 70 (€685/annum) to 72 (€698/annum) - a Saving of €13 per year.

I have tested many houses with no tapes or membranes and I have got varied results from 2.27 to 14 m3/hr/m2.
    On a general point - DO WE WANT OUR HOUSES THIS AIR-TIGHT? go below 5 and you almost need Mechanical Ventilation - and the maintainance & control regimes we need with that.

The new Acceptable details - without tape - should lead to a permeability of 7 at worst.

Following the Enhanced Accredtied Details - 4

Both can be met by using plaster or sand cent coat or plasterboard on dabs - I just don't see the cost advantage of the taping systems.

• Advertisement

Can you post an agenda for the course content?

ardara1 wrote: »
    Can you post an agenda for the course content?

The 2 hour workshop with SIGA is a hands on session with participants appying membranes, tapes and sealants to model house junctions.

I agree with what you are saying in relation workmanship and achieving air tightness without tapes. I have seen it achieved myself in houses that I have tested.

However AFAIK in Germany and Switzerland when a contracter hands over a house to an owner, the owner is entitled to carry out an independent air tightness test for up to 5 years after the house was handed over and the houe must still comply with the original air tightness requirements.

So in a house with no tapes/membranes, if your plasters sets you get some cracking and the foam around the window degrades, and your window boards shrink.... will you still get the same level of air tightness???

Look, at the end of the day as a air tightness tester and a BER assessor I just have to comply with the rules that have been provided by our Dept of the Environment but a little bit of foresight in the area of energy conservation may stop us looking back in anger in 10 years time when we criticise what we are building today.

I think they are a good idea, I think they are not overpriced, what is over priced is the labour to put them in. And that raises another issue... Planning departments in Ireland will have to seriously look at the dormer/bungalow, room in roof type houses as they do not lend themselves to energy effeciency and do add alot of unnessessary costs.

Advertisement