Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question?

• 27-11-2008 8:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭

Pro's and Con's
    Din VS Yoke(A Clamp)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

much of a muchness in my opinion. in the past DIN was rated for higher pressure, but that normally won't affect you in recreational diving.

Your reg should match the tank for regular diving so you only need an adapter for holidays (if any).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Din would be a better choice as there is more protection for the O-ring.

If you intend diving wrecks/caves then Din is the way to go.
    Bumping a yoke off an overhead obstruction can bend it and cause a massive freeflow with subsequent loss of air to the diver.

Be sure to get the right thread fitting.

Seadeuce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

DIN...

...TBH

No long explanations... NIKE -> Just Do IT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Scuba.ie

I'f you're buying from new then I'd recommend DIN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

What about for hiring cylinders? If you're doing most of your diving using cylinders not your own (eg not bringing, or using Dive Centre cylinders for day-trips), you might be as well to buy yoke. I would think that all centres will have a big supply of DIN or dual-fit pillar valves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭mint man

Ratsathome wrote: »
    Pro's and Con's
    Din VS Yoke(A Clamp)

din all the way!
    din can be filled to 300bar as opposed to 200(220at best)
    a 10liter 300bar tank =3000 liters
    a 15liter 200 bar tank= 3000 liters

plus its safer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Din can be used on both a 232 bar and a 300 bar cylinder.
    Yoke or A Clamp cannot - it is only for 232 bar.

as for din fittings not fitting on cylinders for hire which would may be normally used with yoke fittings; most 232 valves come with removable inserts in the valve which allow both types of regs to be used on the same valve. Any centre worth its salt would easily be able to accommodate you.

Din reduces the number of o-rings between the tank valve and regulator by one, thus reducing potential failure points on the supply of air from the tank to you.

only disadvantages are that they are marginally more expensive (between 30-50 euro)
    and that you don't want to mis thread the insert.... possible to damage the valve and the DIN fitting, but once you are carefull threading it, there shouldn't be a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 colinmcbride

If you are getting charged more for DIN over Int then you are being ripped off - they should be exactly the same price from any supplier.:)

Best Regards
    Colin McBride
    First 4 Scuba Ltd
    www.first4scuba.com
    loctite wrote: »
    Din can be used on both a 232 bar and a 300 bar cylinder.
    Yoke or A Clamp cannot - it is only for 232 bar.

as for din fittings not fitting on cylinders for hire which would may be normally used with yoke fittings; most 232 valves come with removable inserts in the valve which allow both types of regs to be used on the same valve. Any centre worth its salt would easily be able to accommodate you.

Din reduces the number of o-rings between the tank valve and regulator by one, thus reducing potential failure points on the supply of air from the tank to you.

only disadvantages are that they are marginally more expensive (between 30-50 euro)
    and that you don't want to mis thread the insert.... possible to damage the valve and the DIN fitting, but once you are carefull threading it, there shouldn't be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 28 spiderpig101

I'm a PADI divemaster, I dive on DIN, where I am working abroad all cylinders are DIN with inserts for yokes, I have never seen a DIN oring fail, have seen countless yokes burst one. Even if where ever you go they only have yoke fittings a DIN to yoke adapter is not expensive and not much digger than your average yoke.
    Not to mention, pressure capabilities, DIN every time for me:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

If you are getting charged more for DIN over Int then you are being ripped off - they should be exactly the same price from any supplier.:)

Best Regards
    Colin McBride
    First 4 Scuba Ltd
    www.first4scuba.com

I have worked in the retail side of the dive industry for a number of years. All manufacturers which I have dealt with have all charged more for a DIN fitting. FACT. (although it has been just over 12 months since I have worked in Dive retail so it is possible that this has changed but is highly unlikely). Stores that operate on the tightest of margins will of course pass this additional cost onto the customer. For an extra 30 euro, its worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Voldemort

I vote DIN too...

^____________^

Advertisement