Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cost to change - 06 Octavia to 08 Golf

Options
  • 27-11-2008 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

My aunt is looking to trade in her 06 Octavia hatch 1.4 (not sure of trim level, but it's not the basic one) against an 08 Golf 1.6 auto sportsline. Golf has low mileage but is an ex rental.

Cost to change is around 17K (7K trade in against 24K), which seems pricey enough to me - anyone (especially in the trade) have any thoughts?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

That sounds like an awful lot to me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Octavia/AMBIENTE/200840190272212/advert

Cheapest Octavia.

I think that's a pretty **** deal, considering the fact there are more 08 Golf's in Ireland than there are cows. And the fact that it's a 1.6 auto i'd be looking to get out of it. Coupled with the fact it's now the old model, i'd run, quite fast. Much better deals to be had else where. The Skoda isn't auto by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

No, skoda is manual - auto is a must have for certain reasons. I did check online as well, but asking prices on carzone are a million miles away from trade-in values.

It's a long term buy, so she wants to keep as new as possible.

Edit - not many in her price range, but the Honda Civic is one of them.
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Honda/Civic/IMA-HYBR/200843190608956/advert

eoin_s wrote: »
    No, skoda is manual - auto is a must have for certain reasons. I did check online as well, but asking prices on carzone are a million miles away from trade-in values.

It's a long term buy, so she wants to keep as new as possible.

Easy advice so, do not buy off them. I don't care what market we're in, that is just way too much.

Would she sell the Octavia privately? Even if she only got €5,000 for it she'd have to still be ahead of the deal you mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

The Golf is over priced and the Octavia is undervalued.

Why doesnt she go for a new shape Octavia DSG in the new year? For that kind of money she would get a highly speced elegance with leather!

Kafer wrote: »
    The Golf is over priced and the Octavia is undervalued.

Why doesnt she go for a new shape Octavia DSG in the new year? For that kind of money she would get a highly speced elegance with leather!

Or an ever higher spec current model unregistered now. Could be good value to be had. A poster a few weeks back got a very, very good deal on a new Octavia.

Thanks folks, I've told her not to go for the golf - the cost to change really did seem quite high.

She hates diesel and I don't know if the Octavia DSG comes with petrol. I think she is going to check out that civic tomorrow.

eoin_s wrote: »
    Thanks folks, I've told her not to go for the golf - the cost to change really did seem quite high.

She hates diesel and I don't know if the Octavia DSG comes with petrol. I think she is going to check out that civic tomorrow.
    It does, there was a green 1.6 DSG for sale in a dealer near Parkgate St recently. I'll see if I can dig out the ad.

• Advertisement

Thanks Anan1 - a private sale would be a lot of hassle for her to answer your earlier question, but the petrol Octavia DSG would fit the bill I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Cost to change to the Octavia should be considerably less than €17k. Let us know how she is getting on.

As an aside - both the '08 Golf 1.6 and the '08 Octavia 1.6 use the antiquated 8V petrol engine with poor emissions. Tax on the new system is high, but provided the cars were registered before 01/07/2008, she can stay in the old tax regime

Thanks unkel - think she has dropped the idea, and was never happy with the trade in price.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

From previous experience- keep away from the ex-rental cars if at all possible......

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Why is that?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

fastrac wrote: »
    Why is that?

Customers tend to drive the crap out of them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

smccarrick wrote: »
    From previous experience- keep away from the ex-rental cars if at all possible......

A concur, had awful problems with an ex rental, garage took it off me in the end, even the radio rattled

It looks like she went for the civic hybrid in the end - she got a better trade in (as in cost to change) and she loved the feel of it, even though she said it didn't feel quite as solid as her Octavia.

Thanks very much to all for the help :)(Unkel, I'd have mentioned your e38 if I could as an option!)

Advertisement