Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company took more than authorised from credit card

Options
  • 27-11-2008 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Unsure if this should be in banking or consumer, apologies if wrong forum.

I bought an item online last week (not ebay!!). I went through the checkout service, got my total of €192.00 and paid it. I also got a copy of the invoice by email. When I checked my cc account the company had taken out more than stated, €207.00 in total. I contacted the the company and queried the extra amount and they told me it was for shipping. Their website clearly states the following (which was reflected in the invoice):

CHRISTMAS SPECIAL OFFER: FREE 500 gr. OF ITALIAN WOOD ROASTED COFFEE IN EVERY COFFEE MACHINES AND GRINDERS ! - FREE SHIPPING WITHIN IRELAND AND EUROPE !

I have asked them to refund the difference. I have taken a screen shot of their "offer" and still have the invoice email.

Has this happened to anyone else? Do I have a leg to stand on?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

IsThatSo? wrote: »

I bought an item online last week (not ebay!!). I went through the checkout service, got my total of €192.00 and paid it. I also got a copy of the invoice by email. When I checked my cc account the company had taken out more than stated, €207.00 in total. I contacted the the company and queried the extra amount and they told me it was for shipping. Their website clearly states the following (which was reflected in the invoice):

I have asked them to refund the difference. I have taken a screen shot of their "offer" and still have the invoice email.

Thanks.

They can only bill you for what was authorised .. i.e. the final total you agreed to.

i.e. total says X, you click pay now and get billed that, anything beyond that is not an authorised transaction, contact your CC company if this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

Thanks.
    Just ring VISA or whatever credit card u used. They will ask you supply all evidence. Will take about a month but you will get your money back. They cannot take extra money off you after you click the button to pay x amount regardless of the advertisement.

I would also let coffeeitalia.ie know that you are taking this action.

Boo

Being the curious person I am, and one who likes to investigate; is this the item? http://www.coffeeitalia.ie/proddetail.php?prod=VV-G-G
    I see it is €207 now.

If you do a search with google you can see their cached page for this same item on the 11th november. http://66.102.9.132/search?q=cache:QI6BVr9IseMJ:www.coffeeitalia.co.uk/proddetail.php%3Fprod%3DVV-G-G+Gaggia+Baby+Caffita+System.+Discounts+Apply+!&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1 the item is at €179

Maybe they had a price increase just after you bought and decided to charge you the new price anyway. I dont buy their excuse that it is postage. They are still advertising free postage

Boo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

that 179 price is £ not euros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Craichoe - spot on, they charged me more than the final bill.

Boopolo, I have asked them to refund and advised them that if they don't I will be contacting my CC company. I also told them I had the original invoice and a screen shot of the webpage to show to the CC company :)

LOL that you worked out the company involved, I was being discreet and not naming them, but that is not very helpful to others who might get caught by the same ruse.

This is the link that I used to purchase the item:

http://www.coffeeitalia.ie/proddetail.php?prod=MDF&cat=71

Interestingly enough I get a "page not found" error when trying to locate the item on the website now.

Thanks for the replies. I had a good idea that they should not have taken the extra funds but I was so cross about it that I wanted to be very very sure before I started sharing my displeasure with them :D

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    that 179 price is £ not euros
    Yer right. stupid me.:o

Boo

Boopolo, I have asked them to refund and advised them that if they don't I will be contacting my CC company. I also told them I had the original invoice and a screen shot of the webpage to show to the CC company :)

LOL that you worked out the company involved, I was being discreet and not naming them, but that is not very helpful to others who might get caught by the same ruse.
    Plus the fact that they are still advertising it as being free deilvery to Ireland.

Why should you not name them? They are trying to cheat you.

Even without the invoice and a screenshot of the webpage they have no arguement.

or viceversa

Even without a screenshot of the webpage and a screenshot of the invoice they have no arguement.

I think they were just chancing their arm. If [snipped] read this thread I would suggest in addition to the refund they send 5KG of coffee to 'Isthatso' as compensation for his inconvience

LOL: took all of five seconds to find out who it was. Pasted your red text into google.:D

Boo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

boopolo wrote: »

I think they were just chancing their arm. If [snipped] read this thread I would suggest in addition to the refund they send 5KG of coffee to 'Isthatso' as compensation for his inconvience

Boo

Oooohh, I hope they read it so :D

They still have not responded to my last email requesting a refund. If I have not heard by Tuesday I will ring the cc company. They were fast enough to respond to the original email so Tuesday is plenty of time to allow for a second reply I think.

After Tuesday it is gone up to 10KG:D

Boo

Advertisement