Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to apply for a Moderator

Options
  • 27-11-2008 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi all, am getting new rifle, and need a mod, how or what do i need to get for this?, i have heard i need a permit, someone told me a letter from my super will do?, please advise.

thanks.

medicman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

medicman wrote: »
    Hi all, am getting new rifle, and need a mod, how or what do i need to get for this?, i have heard i need a permit, someone told me a letter from my super will do?, please advise.

thanks.

medicman

I have just put in for 2 premissions for mods 22lr SAK and 223 T8, well I applied for the 22lr 4 months ago but they didn't know what to do with the application as I think I'm the first to go through the correct channels.

But I got it sorted, the letter for asking that is - not the permissions yet.
    You need a valid reason to use a mod so give them those in a letter. Health and Saftey IS NOT A VALID REASON I was told by my FO and that came down from Dublin head office (unless shooting is part of your work). If your hearing is being effected then stop shooting I was told.

So here is what I put down:

Superintendent XXXXXXX
    XXXXX Garda Station,

Rifle Firearm Certificate No: XXXXX
    Pulse ID: XXXXXX

Dear Superintendent XXXXXXX

I am asking for your permission to fit and use a Reflex T8 Moderator/Sound Suppressor to my .223 rifle. The Reflex T8 does not come with any serial number on it. This Reflex T8 Moderator/Sound Suppressor will reduce the noise pollution of the report from the gun but will not completely silence the report.

The reasons for asking you to allow this request are

On the grounds of Health and Safety.
    Having worked in a noisy environment for many years my hearing is now not the best nor what it used to be and I do not want or need it to become any worse

Night shooting of vermin.
    To reduce the noise pollution/report from the gun during the night time hours

I have permission to hunt on farms where I shoot vermin
    With a moderator/sound suppressor fitted to my rifle the report is reduced and as such it will not scare these vermin off after a shot is taken. It should be noted that these vermin are destroying livestock and crops on the farms that I hunt on and as such this T8 Moderator/Sound Suppressor will be used in the effective control of vermin.

I don't know if that will do but thats what I put down.

I know that my friend had his permissions in under a week

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭medicman

GREAT STUFF clivej, that looks great, i'll write that down and hand in to supt, thanks for the reply.

medicman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

I would ask them to issue that as a public statement, H&S. Many people have cert on these grounds.

There is a posiblity that they would be legaly coupible to future claims if this were the case.

If you can get it in writting do. I think if it was refused on those grounds they are legaly obliged to cite the reson formaly,

Sparks?^^

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Well, technically a supressor (or night vision scope, or other items classed as component parts) are meant to have an actual firearms certificate, same as the rifle; so if you were in a narky mood, yes, you could ask for written reasons and go to the DC and do all the things you can do for a rifle.

But, for the Nth time, being narky doesn't serve you well. You might have the options you have when looking for a rifle cert, but you also have the duties and obligations, which are a bit nonsensical when applied to a supressor or a night vision scope.

Best idea is to get to know your super (or, more accurately, let him get to know you). If he thinks you're not a threat to public safety, you're more likely to be granted the licence for what you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Every year for about 8 years (and 3 different supers) I have been granted an authorisation signed by the local superintendent for a sound moderator. Each year I send the same letter and I have always been issued a yearly authorisation a few days later without question.

I just gave my reasons and supplied no information about make or model.

Good luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭medicman

thanks for those ideas all, i will be going in on monday and having a talk with my fo and ask his thoughts on the moderator, i have a letter to the super ready if he thinks it will help, so all bases covered.

i will let you know how it goes.

regards.

medicman

Advertisement