Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

In Two Minds!

Options
  • 27-11-2008 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Ok so i bought a 'auld '89 Carina II ex-taxi, one owner from new, with 248K miles on it, one of the main reasons i bought it was because it had nct 01/09 and tax 06/09 and bought it for silly money, and was easy to sell on again.

Now i'm in two minds what to do with her, major mecanicals are fine, Clutch was done about 15K poped off the rocker and had a look at the t/b and it looked fine. Only few concerns it's running a bit rich, spedo cable broke, blow from the front pipe.

If i did sell her on it'd now doubt be scrapped the second the tax is out, but a part of me is telling me to hang onto her:o underside is fine and the body is a bit tatty, ok i know she aint a classic but i dont know what to do:(

DSC00382.jpg
    DSC00383.jpg
    DSC00384.jpg
    DSC00385.jpg
    DSC00386.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

When you say easy sell it on, or do you mean easy to give away? Because no matter what happen's you keep it or give it away it's going to cost money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Namesco wrote: »
    When you say easy sell it on, or do you mean easy to give away? Because no matter what happen's you keep it or give it away it's going to cost money

Tidy up and sell on, but i was thinking of keeping it as a family spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Ahh anything that has reached that miles deserve's to be kept:D

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dutchcat

whats this piece of sh.....e got to do with a classic car page??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

dutchcat wrote: »

Just because it's not your idea of a classic doesn't mean it isn't. If you've nothing constructive to say then you're not welcome around here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Twould be a pity to see it scrapped just because its old,a set of nice alloys on that and it would look great!They were great cars,a friend of mine has a 1991 2litre one that he intends to restore believe it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

If it's one owner, does that mean it's been taxied all it's life?:eek: I'd say it'd be well and truly shagged at this stage if that's the case from all those years of stop-start traffic and people spilling doner kebabs in the back and throwing up.......

VolvoMan wrote: »
    If it's one owner, does that mean it's been taxied all it's life?:eek: I'd say it'd be well and truly shagged at this stage if that's the case from all those years of stop-start traffic and people spilling doner kebabs in the back and throwing up.......

Only 150K miles as a taxi the fella has only driven it for 10 years as a night cab. He looked after it very well, though clean out once a year for it's nct and the interior dosent look worn at all, the engine bay is as clean for it's miles and age, rocker cover has no deposits of old oil either.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Volvoboy wrote: »
    If i did sell her on it'd now doubt be scrapped the second the tax is out

Scrapped? Why? :eek:

Why don't you get it NCTd now (you can do it up to 3 months early). With a new NCT until 01/2011 it will be worth a lot more than you paid for it. What did you pay for it? :)
    i know she aint a classic

You said it. Moved to motors ;)

unkel wrote: »
    Scrapped? Why? :eek:

Why don't you get it NCTd now (you can do it up to 3 months early). With a new NCT until 01/2011 it will be worth a lot more than you paid for it. What did you pay for it? :)

You said it. Moved to motors ;)

Really? didnt know that! Thats the plan so throw her through the nct and see what happens. It cost me a full service on the previous owners new car;)

• Advertisement

Really? didnt know that! Thats the plan so throw her through the nct and see what happens. It cost me a full service on the previous owners new car;)

LOL! Nice.....:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

dutchcat wrote: »

Piss off. :mad:

Back on topic, I reckon you should keep it, looks very original, even with the pre-'91 style plates.

It cost me a full service on the previous owners new car;)

Nice one, can't beat that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Nice one, can't beat that :D

Any chance I cold get the 735, for a full valet on your new car??:P

ninty9er wrote: »
    Any chance I cold get the 735, for a full valet on your new car??:P

Sure* :D

*lots of cash might be required also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Keep it! It's probably worth more to you than the price you'd get selling it. I love those things, velour seats are cool:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Tidy up and sell on, but i was thinking of keeping it as a family spare.

now that its hittng 20 years old you could insure it as a second car on a classic policy for about €170

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

I loved those model carinas.
    When in a neighbours one it always reminded me of a cheaper version of the lexus LS400.
    Always thought it was really comfortable. If you have the space keep it going. I would agree with a previous poster NCT it you'll get somebody take it off your hands for the 2years.

Its not you i've seen rallying this around the sandyford area? If it is man you can give an evil look!!

Sure* :D

*lots of cash might be required also

Jesus that poor car is getting an awful doing :P

cabrwab wrote: »
    When in a neighbours one it always reminded me of a cheaper version of the lexus LS400.

It IS a cheaper version of the Lexus LS400 ;)

• Advertisement

It IS a cheaper version of the Lexus LS400 ;)

Indeed!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Keep it, and get your name changed to Carinaboy :D

Advertisement