Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provisional Drivers License

Options
  • 27-11-2008 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭

I applied for and received my Provisional Drivers license about 3 years about. At the time I had to take the Drivers Theory Test which I also passed.

Due to circumstances I never actually got around to getting driving lessons and as such never used my licence.

Anyways, I've since lost my provisional licence - if I apply for a new one again will I have to take the Drivers Theory test all over again?

Also, does anyone know how long Provisional Drivers licences were valid for? As I said I lost mine so not sure if it would even still be valid or not..

Any info appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

They are usually for two years. Whether that is a set in stone rule or not, or whether it was when you got it I can't say.

If you ring the local authority which issued it they will tell you whether it is out of date or not. I would expect that it will be.

One thing is for certain - if it is out of date you will need to take the Driver Theory Test again. You are essentially starting from scratch in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Yeah, I'd say it prob expired last year, meant to see about getting a new one but didn't get aorund to it.

Ah nuts to the having to do the Drivers Theory Test again, that's what I was hoping I wouldn't have to do! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Yeah, I'd say it prob expired last year, meant to see about getting a new one but didn't get aorund to it.

Ah nuts to the having to do the Drivers Theory Test again, that's what I was hoping I wouldn't have to do! :(

It can't be that bad, I mean how much do you still know of what you did in the test? A driving lesson might be a good idea too. This might be better if moved to the 'learning to drive' forum. Mod :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

My first provisional was expired by around 2 months when I applied for my second, didnt say anything to me about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭MzFusspot

I think your licence has to be expired for 5 years before you need to do the theory test again- mine was 2 years expired when I renewed it a couple of months back and I didn't have to sit the theory test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Once your license isn't 5 years out of date you should not have to complete a theory test again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

Of course you don't have to do your theory test again. One you received your 1st provisional licence then you are good to go. Its ridicoulous to say you have to do it again. They obviously have no basis to tell you that. I had my provisional licence when i was 18(i used it for id) and it expired 3 years later. I started driving at 24(6 years later, im 26 now) and i applied for my second provisional and didnt have to do the theory test. I think it cost me €15euro.

Advertisement