Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Will this fail my nct

Options
  • 27-11-2008 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭

Back window wiper doesn't work.

i bought after market front fog lights which i put in myself they have stopped working the relay is broken.

Reverse light doesn't work some times must be a loose connection.

Also i have blue park bulbs.

Will theses fail my nct? I was just thinking about getting my lights checked and putting in into the nct and see how it goes would that be the best idea?

Comments

Vain wrote: »
    Back window wiper doesn't work.

i bought after market front fog lights which i put in myself they have stopped working the relay is broken.

Reverse light doesn't work some times must be a loose connection.

Also i have blue park bulbs.

Will theses fail my nct? I was just thinking about getting my lights checked and putting in into the nct and see how it goes would that be the best idea?

are you for real? any one of things will fail you, cancel it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Ya i am. Theres no need to cancel it its not for a few weeks id sort all that in a hour or 2, Just trying to find out would they fail me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Front fogs and rear wiper not working should be ok. They're not required by law so I don't think they even check them. You could always ring and ask.

The other two will be fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

ksimpson wrote: »
    Front fogs and rear wiper not working should be ok.

Spot on. The other two need to be rectified or else the car will fail the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

Reversing lights aren't required as far as I remember, fogs are checked for cracks but not if they are working! Check ncts.ie they have the manual on there of what's checked

• Advertisement

Paddy001 wrote: »
    Reversing lights aren't required as far as I remember,

Maybe you're right, but I wonder does 'rear lamps' mean tail lights or all lamps at the rear......? Also, I take it that Aux lamp refers to foglights.
    4.Light
    Stop Lamps
    Rear Lamps and Registration Plate Lamps
    Indicators / Tell Tales
    Side Lamps
    Headlamp Condition
    Headlamp Aim
    Aux Lamp Condition
    Aux Lamp Aim
    Reflectors

NCT Inspection List.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Maybe you're right, but I wonder does 'rear lamps' mean tail lights or all lamps at the rear......? Also, I take it that Aux lamp refers to foglights.
    No, seen it on here that the fogs don't have to work, some guy that tests them said it, and the link is about the reversing lights

Cheers for the help guys. What would be the stuff i should really get checked out before the test? I will be getting the front lights alleged aright other than that and the stuff i just said i think my car is fairly good. My timing belt was done at 80k at my car is at 119miles now, I know they give the car a good rev while doing checks im worried about my timing belt snapping and as far as i know you have to sign a disclaimer so would i be right in getting my timing belt done incase?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Do you suspect that the lights are off? If not then leave them and see what the outcome of the test is!
    Have a look at the NCT manual - http://www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 base controller

first of all its illegal to have emergency colours on the front of ur vehicle(blue parkers),it will fail on the reverse lights but the rear wiper is not compulsery (bmw 520 dont even have 1)

kbannon wrote: »
    Do you suspect that the lights are off? If not then leave them and see what the outcome of the test is!
    Have a look at the NCT manual - http://www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf

Doubt it i never get flashed, iv them dipped right down to the ground. Cheers will read that link.

first of all its illegal to have emergency colours on the front of ur vehicle(blue parkers),it will fail on the reverse lights but the rear wiper is not compulsery (bmw 520 dont even have 1)

There seems to be some confusion about the reversing lights some people say yes others no.

...... leave them and see what the outcome of the test is!
    ]

I'd agree with this - no point in sending a car to a garage/mechanic first - get the NCT and see what needs to be done to pass.

That said, personally, I think that reverse lights should be 100% irrespective of the NCT criteria.

Generally its only hatchbacks or estates that have a rear wiper.
    Doubt it i never get flashed, iv them dipped right down to the ground. Cheers will read that link.
    They are meant to be set to 0 (or whatever your car's default is) and only changed if there is a heavy load in the boot. AFAIK the tester will reset it before the test.
    There seems to be some confusion about the reversing lights some people say yes others no.
    RTFM!

So far from this link http://www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf i can see they dont check rear wiper, Didnt see anything about reverse lights but i should be able to fix that its only a lose connection i say. They check front fogs so must take them out and put back in the stander grill. My wing mirror glass has a crack in it and from what iv read that will fail it as well. I will be able to do all this myself and then will put it in for the nct and see how it goes:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

In relation to what you should check, check lights, tracking, all levels. Make sure everything is topped up. Make sure the car is spotless and all the lights are working etc etc. All the small easy things. After that, throw it through, they'll tell you what's wrong, rather than you guessing and it costing you money. Best of luck with it.

I have never seen them check a reverse light and Ive watched them do the nct a few times. Only one person NCT's each car so how can they check reverse lights the car has to be in reverse!

I have never seen them check a reverse light and Ive watched them do the nct a few times. Only one person NCT's each car so how can they check reverse lights the car has to be in reverse!

Two simple solutions - think harder.

1. Mirror

2. Switch engine on but don't start - engage reverse and walk to rear of car.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Ever heard of a mirror?;)

• Advertisement

crosstownk wrote: »
    Two simple solutions - think harder.

1. Mirror

2. Switch engine on but don't start - engage reverse and walk to rear of car.
    feckin college boy! :D

feckin college boy! :D

Yep - down there for dancin'....... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Only one person NCT's each car so how can they check reverse lights the car has to be in reverse!

Classic. The car has to be actually reversing for the lights to be on:rolleyes:

Classic. The car has to be actually reversing for the lights to be on:rolleyes:

Come on lads I not that stupid!! I know well the light comes on once the car is in reverse. They dont have a mirror for this in the nct. But I stand corrected I never thought about putting the car in reverse with just the ignition on. I actually ran out to the car to check if it works and yes both my reverse lights work.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Come on lads I not that stupid!! I know well the light comes on once the car is in reverse. They dont have a mirror for this in the nct. But I stand corrected I never thought about putting the car in reverse with just the ignition on. I actually ran out to the car to check if it works and yes both my reverse lights work.:o

They actually do have mirrors up on the walls for check hazard lights etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Tells

You don't need reverse lights!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Just to confirm, the rear wiper on my old Polo wasn't working for the NCT and it passed fine. They only check functions and features that are common to all cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

My car passed the NCT in April this year with non working aftermarket fogs, one is cracked too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Front fogs and rear wiper not working should be ok. They're not required by law so I don't think they even check them. You could always ring and ask.

Everything on the list is a fail, if the car doesn't come as standard with Front Fogs then you're all good but if they're on the car when it's tested then thay have to work and be at the right height etc. Same goes for the rear wiper.

Some of the stuff you can fail on is pretty stupid, if you have a break light in the window it muct work, but lots of cars don't have them and pass!

Moral of the story...if it's on your car, it has to work

Some people must get through with little things wrong because the tester was in good form!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Everything on the list is a fail, if the car doesn't come as standard with Front Fogs then you're all good but if they're on the car when it's tested then thay have to work and be at the right height etc. Same goes for the rear wiper.

Again, front fog lamps and rear wipers are NOT PART OF THE TEST!

RTFM, its online under

http://www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf

Advertisement