Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smithwicks pint bottles

Options
  • 27-11-2008 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi all, I am going crazy here, does anyone know where one can purchase SMITHWICKS in a pint bottle or even MCARDLES. I live in Kildare Dublin region.
    I have been told before that Superquinn in Lucan sells them but it turned out to be false. Thanks for any info in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

My local Superquinn sells them, so either try another branch, or keep checking back with Lucan. You should be able to get them from some of the good independent beer off licences too. I've definitely seen bottled Macardle's in Sheil's of Drumcondra.

Alternatively, try old-fashioned pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I've never seen Pint Bottles of Smithwick's on sale in Dublin pubs. Only in Waterford.

Des wrote: »
    I've never seen Pint Bottles of Smithwick's on sale in Dublin pubs. Only in Waterford.
    I've only ever seen them in pubs in the north, but a few places round my way sell bottled Macardle's.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Smithwicks is a horrible drink and should be discontinued imo.

And what would you recommend for the disenfranchised Smithwick's drinker in this brave new world of yours?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Aidric wrote: »
    *yawn*

No idea OP.

large McArdles is trés nice tho but never seem to see it cept for at home :/

Only in pubs tho, never seen large bottles in an offlicense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Aidric wrote: »
    :eek:
    It's probably the best widely available draft beer in ireland imho!

Anyway, had a few pint bottles of Macardle's in Clearys pub on Amiens Street. It's across from Connelly station, under the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Quint wrote: »
    It's probably the best widely available draft beer in ireland imho

Glad you put in the widely;), it is nice to get a bottle of when its available

oblivious wrote: »
    Glad you put in the widely;), it is nice to get a bottle of when its available

Supposidly smithwicks is popular in Canada!

I was in Sweeneys off licence at Harts Corner in Glasnevin, it had the hat trick - pint bottles of McArdles, Smithwicks and Guinness extra stout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 hoprodrye

It's probably the best widely available draft beer in ireland imho!

Now that would be a sad state of affairs if true. Even Budweiser now do an ale that's on a par with Smithwicks. For me Smithwicks is far too bland to waste money on.

hoprodrye wrote: »
    Now that would be a sad state of affairs if true. Even Budweiser now do an ale that's on a par with Smithwicks.
    But not available in Ireland.
    For me Smithwicks is far too bland to waste money on.
    I agree. However I think that Quint's point that the other draught beers widely available in Ireland are blander still stands, unless you bring the two more common German wheat beers into the field, and even then I wouldn't be sure.

Even though I worded it very carefully, I knew people wouldn't read it correctly:D

Even though I worded it very carefully, I knew people wouldn't read it correctly:D

I read it correctly. I just cannot agree that Smithwicks is superior to Guinness. Although I don't like the company or the corporation or the bull**** mythology surrounding the drink, Guinness is probably my favourite light beer. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I read it correctly. I just cannot agree that Smithwicks is superior to Guinness. Although I don't like the company or the corporation or the bull**** mythology surrounding the drink, Guinness is probably my favourite light beer. :)
    Since when is Guinness a light drink? :confused:

lager would be a light drink...but stout?

Depends on whether you're going by colour chart or alcoholic strength. Guinness is light in terms of its calorific value and alcohol content compared to most pale lagers.

kaimera wrote: »

Its the nitrogen that give the appearance of body, its has a very similar starting and finishing gravity to most well know lagers. Calorie wise its not that much more the a standard Budweiser

kaimera wrote: »

It's light in alcohol, calories and flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

. For me Smithwicks is far too bland to waste money on.

smithwiches is a very nice ale for the alc %. Being a fan of the Devon and cornwall ales which are generally over 5% I can honestly say that smithwiches is what it is, a nice light ale. I think you can get bottles in blanch superquinn

dodgyme wrote: »
    smithwiches is a very nice ale for the alc %. Being a fan of the Devon and cornwall ales which are generally over 5%

??? :confused: there a loads of ales that are under 5%, even a good few under 4%. Here are a few and no means a complete list

Badger First Gold, Badger Original Ale, Skinners Best Bitter, Skinners Betty Stogs, Skinners Cornish Knocker Ale ,St Austell Brewery Tribute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

McArdles is popular in the rather pleasant seaside town of Bray, in the county Wicklow. Pint bottles galore! Didn't realise Smithwicks came in a pint bottle.

I've had it on draught in Mulligan's, Cleary's (Dublin's best pub) and the Brazen Head.

I've had it on draught in Mulligan's, Cleary's (Dublin's best pub) and the Brazen Head.

The stags head and bull and castle has it as well

bull and castle has it as well
    Smithwick's? It doesn't. It does have bottled Macardle's.

I though he was talking about McArdles :o

McArdles is popular in the rather pleasant seaside town of Bray, in the county Wicklow. Pint bottles galore! Didn't realise Smithwicks came in a pint bottle.

+1!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭thegeezer

BeerNut wrote: »
    And what would you recommend for the disenfranchised Smithwick's drinker in this brave new world of yours?

Mcardles is as close to an English ale as you can get, or see my other post about dungarvin ales.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Supposidly smithwicks is popular in Canada!
    Its 5% there and 3.8% here. I much prefer the stronger ales in messers & porterhouse so would love to try a stronger smithwicks
    Calorie wise its not that much more the a standard Budweiser
    I'm pretty sure its even lower than bud, its one of the lowest out there, bud light & coors light might be a touch lower. The cans are one of the few with the breakdown listed its 170kcal per 500ml if I remember right.
    It's light in alcohol, calories and flavour.
    I find it very easy to drink these days, I had a pint of that chocolate truffle porterhouse stout recently and no fecking way I could down it as easy, though I liked it. I do not hear many people commenting on it being "an acquired taste" anymore, and reckon they have changed it over the years. On the guinness site
    #
    Is it true that you get a much better pint of GUINNESS® stout in Ireland?

GUINNESS® is GUINNESS® - wherever you are. We always use pure, fresh water from natural local sources for the GUINNESS® stout brewed outside Ireland. That said, in blind tests (with a bunch of highly cynical journalists) none of our sample could tell the difference between Irish-brewed GUINNESS® and the locally produced variety. All the GUINNESS® sold in the UK, Ireland and North America is brewed in Ireland at the historic St. James's Gate Brewery in Dublin.
    Wonder if it was made more blander everywhere to achieve this, or just to get a bigger customer base. In another thread I mentioned on the "arthurs day"s I saw loads of people drinking guinness no bother, when years ago I remember people, esp. women, grimacing after tasting it.

Well how about this - went to local Tesco today and guess what - 500ml bottles Smithwicks Pale Ale - 5 for a tenner !! Tried it for first time and have to say, BETTER than McArdles. Thanks for putting me onto this trail !!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

thegeezer wrote: »
    Smithwicks Pale Ale

that's a different drink, only recently launched. regular Smithwicks is a red ale that (IMO) tastes of virtually nothing at all...

• Advertisement

Maybe so, but it tastes devine in the bottle, and bloody awful from the tap - real shame cos wanted to really like something you can get on draft here. Anyway, bottles available in Tesco - in my experience, these don't tend to last so would get some in now.

Advertisement