Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

madbikes

• 27-11-2008 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

We were looking at a cart (Madcat Dingo 70) for a six year old from madbikes.com in Kilkenny. It has a harness and roll cage, top speed 30 km per hr. Anybody have any experience of these good or bad? Sorry if this is the incorrect forum.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

A couple of things, why do you think a kart is a motorbike ? and why do you think its ok to put a 6 year old in charge of a 70cc machine ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Chatterbeast

As KTRIC said...I wouldn't be putting a 6 year old near a machine like that. My son is seven....it'll be a while before he get anywhere near something like that. Six is far too young IMHO.

Madbikes in Kilkenny I do know, and they're good, they know their stuff and they have a good after sales service.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

My son has been on a 50cc quad since he was 3. (Yes, 3). He has never had a fall/crash or even raised our heartrates much. He is being brought up in the bike industry, he cant escape it really. Id much rather see him grow up with knowledge and respect for a petrol driven vehicle, seeing as he is surrounded by them. Far from being irresponsible, we are overcautious, he wears armour from head to toe.:) Im just making the point that whether its dangerous has a lot more to do with the parents attitude, than the childs.

As for the kart. Warranty and aftersales are the key things to look for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

My nephews have been on quads and now beach buggys since they were 4. In a safe area, on a well maintained machine with supervision there is no problems.
    I'm sure the machine could be restricted somewhat if needed, just untill the child gets used to it. In spain I saw a 4 year old on a mini moto,in full leathers and helmet,giving it socks around a cart track and doing faster times than I could in a cart and his parents, and I for that matter,thought it was perfectly ok. Infact,I thought it was fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

it all depends on the child, some kids u can give instruction to and they listen, my son has been riding bikes since he was 9, since 10 yrs of age he has been able to ride my road bike in a safe secure area, as i said it depends on the child and the parents, my three kids all ride dirt bikes, they are aged 11, 9, 7 . All have full protective gear and know all the gear all the time, they have grown up around bikes, they have seen how dangerous they can be and understand they are not toys.

Safety first and good ground rules is the key ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭sofia11

http://www.madbikesireland.com/popup_image.php?pID=356
    This hopefully is a link to the cart we want to go and see this week and we will decide if he is interested. It is for a younger child, he will be 7 at Christmas. It goes without saying he will have to wear safety gear and be under supervision at all times. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Chatterbeast

Oryx wrote: »
    My son has been on a 50cc quad since he was 3. (Yes, 3). He has never had a fall/crash

Eh.....yeah. Course he has. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

sofia11 wrote: »
    http://www.madbikesireland.com/popup_image.php?pID=356
    This hopefully is a link to the cart we want to go and see this week and we will decide if he is interested. It is for a younger child, he will be 7 at Christmas. It goes without saying he will have to wear safety gear and be under supervision at all times. :)

Thats a deadly little thing. Wouldhave loved one of them when I was that age, jaysus I would love one of them now.
    Go for it, the child will love ya forever then lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

So what if the OP wants to get his son a (secure) kart? I think that's a brilliant idea! I got my 8 year old nephew a mini moto for his birthday! Nothing wrong with that if you teach them to respect the machine and wear proper equipment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Hmm, I prob' should start a new thread for this, but did i hear some bullsh!t law about it being now legal to buy a mini moto/quad etc for anyone under 16!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Timmaay wrote: »
    Hmm, I prob' should start a new thread for this, but did i hear some bullsh!t law about it being now legal to buy a mini moto/quad etc for anyone under 16!!!!

Indeed it is - I even got to 'talk to Joe', on air about it ! :D

Apparently, it is now illegal to sell/gift a motorbike to anyone under 16.

In one sweep, they've turned all under 16 MCUI :mad:competitors into criminals !!

What complete and utter ****ing arseholes - the RSA, that is, who are spending 10,000's on ads to tell us this. FFS - is that all we have left to fix, under 16yr old off-road use?:mad:

I must have missed where we got road safety completely sorted out......:rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Well like Oryx and Dubtom, mine have, too. +1 to ye lads!

My youngest, now 5 has been on the 50cc quad since 3, and my 8 yr old (girl, btw...) graduated from that and now rides a Honda motocrosser.

In short, Chatterbeast, unless you are speaking from a position of fact, confine your comments to something you know about :mad:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Why the rolleyes? He has. He is still on the same quad. He is six now. We sell bikes for a living, he will grow up with them, hence my point about him learning respect and responsibility with bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

It will be interesting this coming christmas day to see if the guards actually do anything concerning this. I know in my area the roads are usually choca with kids on mini moto's,quads and anything else with an engine,unsupervised,indeed some of them on the main road,scooting up and down the paths and in between traffic. It's the parents of these kids who should be targeted, but as was said on the show,their efforts will probably be consintrated on sending underage kids into shops to try and snare venders.

Here is a link to the RSAs statement on minimotos. As usual, its ambigious. They say they can be used on private land, but in the same article, that they are illegal for use by minors.

My understanding is that if a kid is scooting around a housing estate or on a road on one, the guards will probably get involved. I cannot see them going on to private land to confiscate one being used there, as surely the Road Traffic Act by definition only applies to public roads?

Oryx wrote: »
    Here is a link to the RSAs statement on minimotos. As usual, its ambigious.

FWIW, I have just rang the RSA on 096 25008, and asked for Noel Brett, CEO. He's not in the office. I spoke instead to Annette, and I've told her, the following:

The statement on their site
    For a rider to use a mechanically propelled vehicle (MPV), they must:
    Be over the age of 16
    Hold a valid driving licence
    Hold third party insurance
    Hold the appropriate motor tax certificate

.....is factually incorrect, misleading, and scaremongering.

The above statement is only true in terms of road vehicles, used on the public road, or in a car park to which the public have access.

To have the RSA make the type of statement on their site, as they have, is unacceptable because, it has, in one broad sweep, criminalised all the legitimate under 16 users currently involved in the likes of motorcycle sport (under the MCUI, a professional governing body, part-funded by the State, through the Sports Council, btw...), as well as criminalising their (responsible) parents.

Furthermore, to identify Quads as inherently dangerous is also nonsense, given that they are a legitimate agricultural vehicle, and - ironically -is the vehicle of choice for both another State Body - Bord NaMona, and now that I come to think of it - the ESB as well, for use in awkward and sensitive areas, including for reasons of safety, given that quads are environmentally responsible, they having no impact on land, compared to the likes of SUV's, etc.

As someone with motorcycle-riding kids, aged 5 & 8, I also take personal exception to me, a responsible, and motorcycle-riding parent of over 20 years (accident free, btw......), being branded irresponsible or criminal by my decision to inculcate a culture of responsible vehicle use and control. My kids, when they reach 16, will already have had 10 yrs of motoring under their belt, and they will not be subject to the same 'mad rush of blood to the head' that other, novice 16 yr olds are inclined to do, and which you read of after every weekend, and Bank Holiday weekend in particular.

I've also, to reinforce the idea that responsible vehicle use under age is to be both welcomed and promoted, told her that underage vehicle training is in fact supported by the State, like -
    An Garda Siochana
    National Safety Council
    Department of Education and Science

It's also supported by the likes of the AA, and Allianz.

Don't believe me ? Well see here, so: TY training

So, once again, I find the RSA guilty of scaremongering, of painting the guilty and innocent, with the same brush, and once again, being completely out of touch with reality. The more the RSA do stuff like this, the more likely they are to be ignored for being nothing short of misguided bureaucratic crackpots.

So, friends, and not just motorcyclists, btw - lift the phone and, politely, mind - make your feelings known to Mr Brett on 096 25008. It'll only take a minute. Ask them to come back to you, by giving contact details. Make them work at this, and not just throw the PostIt in the bin after your call.........

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

galwaytt wrote: »
    FWIW, I have just rang the RSA on 096 25008, and asked for Noel Brett, CEO. He's not in the office. I spoke instead to Annette, and I've told her, the following:

The statement on their site
    For a rider to use a mechanically propelled vehicle (MPV), they must:
    Be over the age of 16
    Hold a valid driving licence
    Hold third party insurance
    Hold the appropriate motor tax certificate

.....is factually incorrect, misleading, and scaremongering.

The above statement is only true in terms of road vehicles, used on the public road, or in a car park to which the public have access.

To have the RSA make the type of statement on their site, as they have, is unacceptable because, it has, in one broad sweep, criminalised all the legitimate under 16 users currently involved in the likes of motorcycle sport (under the MCUI, a professional governing body, part-funded by the State, through the Sports Council, btw...), as well as criminalising their (responsible) parents.

Furthermore, to identify Quads as inherently dangerous is also nonsense, given that they are a legitimate agricultural vehicle, and - ironically -is the vehicle of choice for both another State Body - Bord NaMona, and now that I come to think of it - the ESB as well, for use in awkward and sensitive areas, including for reasons of safety, given that quads are environmentally responsible, they having no impact on land, compared to the likes of SUV's, etc.

As someone with motorcycle-riding kids, aged 5 & 8, I also take personal exception to me, a responsible, and motorcycle-riding parent of over 20 years (accident free, btw......), being branded irresponsible or criminal by my decision to inculcate a culture of responsible vehicle use and control. My kids, when they reach 16, will already have had 10 yrs of motoring under their belt, and they will not be subject to the same 'mad rush of blood to the head' that other, novice 16 yr olds are inclined to do, and which you read of after every weekend, and Bank Holiday weekend in particular.

I've also, to reinforce the idea that responsible vehicle use under age is to be both welcomed and promoted, told her that underage vehicle training is in fact supported by the State, like -
    An Garda Siochana
    National Safety Council
    Department of Education and Science

It's also supported by the likes of the AA, and Allianz.

Don't believe me ? Well see here, so: TY training

So, once again, I find the RSA guilty of scaremongering, of painting the guilty and innocent, with the same brush, and once again, being completely out of touch with reality. The more the RSA do stuff like this, the more likely they are to be ignored for being nothing short of misguided bureaucratic crackpots.

So, friends, and not just motorcyclists, btw - lift the phone and, politely, mind - make your feelings known to Mr Brett on 096 25008. It'll only take a minute. Ask them to come back to you, by giving contact details. Make them work at this, and not just throw the PostIt in the bin after your call.........

While factually incorrect a level of scaremongering IS REQUIRED and fair play to the RSA for bringing the issue of Quad safety to light.

A friend's 14 year old brother (with plenty of quad experience) was killed during a quad accident during the summer. It was being used on a farm, and realistically nobody with any sense would think a 14 year old needs supervision. Truth be told, Quads are not the issue but their use, and I think the statement has highlighted to this to the proper extent and effectiveness, that no other threat could bring parents to see.

Factually incorrect, but all the same FAIR PLAY to the RSA.

Edit:

I also think the campaign is aimed at those who have no idea what a quad is other than their 10 year old wants one rather than parents who know what they're doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

how are your kids gonna have 10 years riding experience. They will be able to ride alright but will have no actual experience as proper riders unless you are leaving them out on the road already. Big differance between a field and a busy main road

seanybiker wrote: »
    how are your kids gonna have 10 years riding experience. They will be able to ride alright but will have no actual experience as proper riders unless you are leaving them out on the road already. Big differance between a field and a busy main road
    In terms of physically using the bike, and things like slides, target fixation etc those lads will be far more advanced than their non biking counterparts.

My own hubby rode a bike offroad from the age of nine. He knew from that what it took to ride a bike and what it felt like to fall off. Touch wood he has been and still is one of the safest and most responsible riders I know. His early experience is part of making him like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Ok to get this one back on topic

What are madbikes actually like

Was thinking of buying a quad myself. I'm male 25 so don't worry about minors :P

I don't want to fork out 3-4 grand if I can get one of these circa 1000 quid and it works for 2 years I'll have had my fun with it.

So will the thing fall apart on me or do they supply decent kit (for the money of course)

• Advertisement

Vegeta wrote: »
    Ok to get this one back on topic

What are madbikes actually like

Was thinking of buying a quad myself. I'm male 25 so don't worry about minors :P

I don't want to fork out 3-4 grand if I can get one of these circa 1000 quid and it works for 2 years I'll have had my fun with it.

So will the thing fall apart on me or do they supply decent kit (for the money of course)
    You get what you pay for, unfortunately. I dont have experience of using the cheaper chinese quads, but I have heard a lot of feedback. When you get a good one, happy days, they are great, but when something goes wrong, parts can be tricky, and I know of guys who had cheap quads that were plagued with (minor) problems. Bottom line, they are ok, but tend to be a lot more disposable than the Jap brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Red Hornet

People next door to me got their son a kart(He is only 7) and cops came and took it away. It is illegal to give anyone under 16 a vehicle which they are not licenced for is what d cops told them. Not sure if that is right only passin on what i heard.

Advertisement