Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have an Entitlement to Fair Pay?

Options
  • 27-11-2008 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

I am a manager in a multinational company. I am on significantly less pay than my counterparts. I am being paid a salary equivalent to the team leads, in fact less than two of my direct reports. I have discussed the issue of unfair pay with my manager, who admits that I am underpaid.

He went so far as to inform me that I am being paid 12% less than the previous manager. I have spoken to two other managers with similarly sized teams and they are being paid in the region of 30% more. He has also told me on numerous occasions that I am outperforming both the previous manager and my other managerial counterparts. (Both the previous manager's salary amount and my performance appraisals are quoted in emails from him.)

I spoke with my boss today, and I have a strong feeling he preparing me for a dissappointment with regard to the increase. He is saying the current economic environment casts the possibility of the increase in doubt. However, it is not like there are zero funds for increases; there is money, but of course its distribution is discretionary.

I am strongly of the opinion that this issue boils down to my gender; I am the only female manager in this role. I feel as though he doesn't expect me to fight hard on this issue, and I also don't think he would even attempt to pull this stuff on any of the guys.

Does anyone have any advice on this? If the company flat refuses to increase my salary, I am seriously thinking of jacking in my job and going travelling. I can't see how I could stay for a junior salary, while being told I am outperforming my peers.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Hi Acorn,

it might have nothing to do with your gender and more to do with the fact that all businesses are trying to keep their costs down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Might be worth discussing the situation with a solicitor.

Also its to get a big increase in salary when moving between companies. Getting a 12% or 30% increase is never easy in the one place.

In a multinational I'd think there would be a salary "range" for any role. You might be even below that range if others are on 30% more than you.

The fact you have so much info on the other managers salaries is very unusual though.Your manager must be really on your side to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

up until you said on your post the you were female I was thinking straight away that you were a bloke who they got on the cheap but you were now looking for your fair share.

If your company has a written salary scale then you have a case. if you were interviewed for the job against other guys who would have cost more and had equal quailifications but they got you cheap you have a case. its up to the company to prove you wrong in court so might get messy.

If you took the job and signed a contract with actual salary on paper you have little to stand on, you agreeded to it without looking into possible pay rates for your job thus allowing you to challenge at contract stage. at any point were you able to question/debate your salary before you signed?

how long are you employed versus those who's salary is 30% greater?

Advertisement