Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever wanted to tell...

Options
  • 27-11-2008 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

... John Devane what you think about him? Ever wanted to do this in public? Here's your chance:

http://www.limerickpost.ie/dailynews.elive?id=9260
    John Devane holds book signing

CONTROVERSIAL Limerick solicitor John Devane, will be signing copies of his autobiography in the Crescent Shopping Centre, this Saturday, November 29.

The book signing for ‘Nobody Heard Me Cry’, which has sold nearly 17,000 copies, will take place from 2pm.

Initiated into pedophile rings in Limerick and Dublin in his younger years, John reveals that a a garda, priest, lawyers and married business men were amongst his regular clientele, forcing him into a life of alcoholism, despair and attempted suicide, to escape his past.

A recovering alcoholic who has been on the dry now for six years, John said that he wanted to clear all the skeletons out of his closet by writing this book and it was also "a heartfelt plea to hear the cries of other children in need”.

I hope a few people will turn up. Not to get a copy but to tell him what a XXXCENSOREDXXX he is! I will...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

So a lawyer is a reflection of their clients? hardly seems fair. There is a lot of vitriol directed at that guy by people but I think myself that much of it seems to be misplaced. They seem to think he represents the ne'er do wells on account of being their friend or something. He practices law as a profession. For the sake of due process, someone has to represent them don't they? If you don't care for due process in the legal system, you are living in a very frustrating part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

topper75 wrote: »
    So a lawyer is a reflection of their clients? hardly seems fair. There is a lot of vitriol directed at that guy by people but I think myself that much of it seems to be misplaced. They seem to think he represents the ne'er do wells on account of being their friend or something. He practices law as a profession. For the sake of due process, someone has to represent them don't they? If you don't care for due process in the legal system, you are living in a very frustrating part of the world.

doesnt mean he's not a wanker....

i dunno, i'm pissed i'll probobly remove this in the morning! hoorah for christmas!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Also doesn't mean he is a wanker. Unless you have some personal experience of him of course?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

topper75 wrote: »

This is the Limerick City forum, the frustration goes without saying! ;)

It's funny though, he does always seem to end up defending some of the most reprehensible criminals in Limerick. I can't remember ever hearing of his name in a case where he was representing the victim, rather than the alleged perpetrator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

An Fhile wrote: »
    It's funny though, he does always seem to end up defending some of the most reprehensible criminals in Limerick. I can't remember ever hearing of his name in a case where he was representing the victim, rather than the alleged perpetrator.
    In a criminal trial, the victim doesn't prosecute anybody, the state does. So the state is represented by one or more of their lawyers - 'the prosecution'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I used to have a similar (though not as extreme) view as the OP.

What annoys me is the excuses - "the defendent lost his dad earlier this year, yer honour"......WTF! I don't remember me going out mugging people when I lost my dad!!!! Going out and being a bit too stroppy or drunk or loud would be understandable, but it's irrelevant if you've mugged someone.

Some actions are inexcusable - or at best, their own decisions, and they should be 100% responsible; it's pathetic to hear some of the crap trotted out!

But unfortunately (and having recently read a really good Michael Connolly book about a trial lawyer) this is apparently what a lawyer HAS to do!

And what's worse is that the courts seem to take it into account with the sentencing!

It probably doesn't mean that Devane & Co can sleep well at night; mind you, if he turned down one of the scumbags as a client he probably wouldn't sleep too well either....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

In a criminal trial, the victim doesn't prosecute anybody, the state does. So the state is represented by one or more of their lawyers - 'the prosecution'.

*facepalm*

Damn, I should've known that! :o

I'm going to leave now...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Whats the story with this guy? He makes money from ruining innocent peoples lives by defending the scum of the city and has the cheek to write a book about his life?!!

Very poor character

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

If he didn't represent these people someone else would. and by law he is obliged to represent them to the best of his ability.

What other option is there, deny defendants legal representation? then you would have innocents going to jail.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Agreed, someone has to defend them. It's not like he's fecking Columbo or something pulling stuff out of the air to get criminals off scott free. I'd imagine it's just a case of making sure his client gets a fair trial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭The_Dave

...and what about the time he was taking the class action suit on behalf of those "innocent" criminals who (boo hoo) had to mop out their own cells, I suppose he was doing that for the public good eh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Whats the story with this guy? He makes money from ruining innocent peoples lives by defending the scum of the city and has the cheek to write a book about his life?!!

Very poor character

Most of these guys get legal aid so it you making him money in your taxes they can afford BMW's and mercs but not pay for a defence :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

So did anyone go out to the Cresent and tell him what they thought of him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭lfc1892

He reminds me of those famous lawyers who defended the likes of Al Capone but an awful lot less romantic than that.

He has a job to do and he's bloody good at it. Like Johnny Cochrane did with Michael Jackson.

I've much to get off my chest on this one and it's not all about Mr Devane.

In recent times, we have heard of several Limerick criminals being convicted of heinous crimes. It then comes to light that they have hundreds of previous convictions. This pisses me off more than anything. One or two minor convictions by any individual can be put down to some bad choices but when it creeps up into double figures, this person has been given all the chances society can give and should be removed from civilised society for a duration that would mean on their release they are too old and decrepit to be involved in any sort of crime, even a forged bus pass.

Screw their human rights, they don't respect mine so why should I respect theirs, or why should my ability to feel empathy or compassion be trodden on by these oiks who can hide behind laws when it suits them. Why should I pay taxes to keep these workshy scumbags in housing and benefits that I"M not entitled to claim and then I have to fear them on the streets of my beautiful city.

Don't blame John Devane, he's not the problem or even the catalyst for the problem. He's just a damned good criminal lawyer who'll exploit every loophole in the law, as well as the compassion of decent human beings, to win his cases. I doubt he even sees them as people, rather as another case won and another big pay day from Legal Aid.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

lfc1892 wrote: »
    ....Don't blame John Devane, he's not the problem or even the catalyst for the problem. He's just a damned good criminal lawyer who'll exploit every loophole in the law, as well as the compassion of decent human beings, to win his cases. I doubt he even sees them as people, rather as another case won and another big pay day from Legal Aid.....

You clearly now very little of John Devane then. I'd like to state exactly what he is, but it'd most likely get Boards into trouble, so I won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

You clearly now very little of John Devane then. I'd like to state exactly what he is, but it'd most likely get Boards into trouble, so I won't.
    I'd like to second that. I had a run in with him while serving him in a shop i used to work in, and all i can say is that everything people say about him is true!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

If he didn't represent these people someone else would. and by law he is obliged to represent them to the best of his ability.

What other option is there, deny defendants legal representation? then you would have innocents going to jail.
    I agree with this. Someone has to do it. And if John Devane refused, i'm sure he'd be in a lot more trouble than people on boards.ie bitching about him :). Did anyone actually go to the book signing and tell him what they thought of him or is that just beans????
    I think he's making a living and thats that. someone has to do that shi*t job

Advertisement