Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New dormer bungalow, no attic insulation. Much heat loss?

• 27-11-2008 10:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi,
    Was wiring up a sat dish in the new house and noticed there is no insulation at all in the loft/attic of her dormer bungalow. Granted it is smaller than a typical bungalow loft but potentially how much heat is being lost? She has this underfloor heating system in which is heated by gas boiler and I remember her being quite shocked by how long a tank of gas didn't last. They are in the house almost a year but house is not signed off as completed, there are a few odds and ends left to finish.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭In$omniac

Well as heat rises they are losing nearly all of the heat that comes from their heating system.
    My mother recently had her attic PROPERLY insulated and her house is like a furnace, she can't get over the difference at how the house holds the heat now and how less she has to turn on the heat!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Major heat loss if attic is not insulated - this house probably hasn't been signed off because it doesn't comply with the Building Regulations.

12.5mm thick plasterboard ceiling is all thats keeping the heat in! Terrible waste of money. It might be cheaper to burn her cash in an open fire!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I'll bring over a wheelbarrow and Ahem burn it for them!!!:D Did they get a snaglist done before moving in, if theres no insulation in the attic is there any in the walls or floors???:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭mgadget

They moved in once it was habitable, plastering, plumbing and electrics were completed. I guess, in agreement with the builder. Crazy situation IMO, house isn't snagged, signed off and builder in turn not received final payment. Neither party seem to be arsed to get it done.

The stud wall partition in the eaves of the house on the first floor seems well insulated. First floor is concrete. So could I tell her her attic is directly responsible for her excessive heating bill then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

In a word Yes, there may be other issues but its a fairly big sky they're trying to heat!!:D Sort out the attic first with 300mm Minumum of fibre glass between ond over the ceiling joists and see what that does to the heating bill. If it's only the small triangle attic at the top of a normal dormer it shouldn't cost much and the savings will be seen quickly!!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement